Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#2011623 - 10/10/12 11:05 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: 33rdStreet
Thinking of slowly putting one together just need to pick one. No graded cards in this set but nice centered high quality cards. Would be a whole differnt experience for me in the hobby. I've been strictly baseball for 25+ years with some nice vintage Colts every now and then.

Rob,

That choice have anything to do with Montana? Those are nice though and it reminds me of the football packs I opened as a kid.

I started picking up football cards here a month or so ago. Like you, it is a whole new experience. But I'm having a great time with it. Don't know that I could ever stick doing a complete set, but I'm focused on primarily individual players mainly from the 70's, Staubach and most Cowboys from late 60's thru the 70's, I am also doing a Montana set, from the 80's, and focusing too on some mainly defensive players from the 60's-70's, Butkus, Davidson, Curtis, Lilly, Larry Wilson, Hendricks, Nitschke, Willie Lanier, Deacon Jones etc. sort of the bad boys. Keeping it all raw except for some Staubach's and a few other Cowboys.

Provides a nice break and it's a heck of a lot of fun. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

#2011624 - 10/10/12 12:08 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
SMtJoy
veteran

I always enjoy all the football cards posted here and have made some purchases because of it. I'm sure I will pickup more in the future too. That said I just dont think I would want to work on a set of any, I am just not interested in a lot of commons.

Here are two of my favorites-

#2011626 - 10/10/12 12:30 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: SMtJoy]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Scott those are sweet!
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2011653 - 10/11/12 03:08 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: cammb]
BigRedOne
old hand

Originally Posted By: cammb
Hockey is the best spectator sport as well as having the toughest players.

Sorry to burst you bubble Cammb. The NFL is Top dog of all the televised sports. Super Bowl is the biggest sporting event in the World.

I admire your passion for your sport, But unfortunately its not even a distant 2nd to the NFL of the spectator sports. It might fall in there somewhere behind MLB, NBA and likely even Nascar. But they are some tough guys for sure.

Hitman: No you can't have my 74 Staubach

Rob(Blackie) Just Started the 1981 Topps set he spoke of to honor the memory of his grandfather which is Awesome! What's the status on the set Rob? you should start a thread for the set so we can track the progress. I almost had you a SGC 10 Russ Francis! It fell through.

As for which set one would like to do?

Well Ive got to many irons in the fire right now, but if I were to start another set I think it would one of the 50's Bowman sets or a 62 Topps Set. There's really no bad choice, as long as its football. the sets are smaller and more managable. I used to do some Baseball, but after the handful of stars it grew old and unexciting looking for 500 or more commons.

I think its great that this thread has sparked a little bit more interest in the ole pigskin!

The 55 All Americans is another Popular set Im still 44 cards short, but Im past the half way point and other than the Knute Rockne and Ernie Nevers I have most of the big cards now.

I just picked up a couple more nice cards for my 57 set as well. Im down to needing 35 cards in this set. The most notable being YA Title, Nighttrain Lane, Hugh McElhenny and the Earl Morrall Rookie.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (10/11/12 03:17 AM)

#2011657 - 10/11/12 06:49 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

When I read Cammbís comment that hockey is the best spectator sport, I took it as the best to watch live. I agree with him. IMO, nothing beats being at a hockey game, especially playoff hockey. On TV itís nowhere near the same.

My favorite football sets are from the 50ís. 1955 Topps. 1955 Bowman. 1956 Topps. My wallet canít afford them so I just forget about them. I donít have enough discretionary income to collect both football and baseball. I do have a few sets from the 80ís but they canít compare with the 50ís. Not even close. I do collect ďfront linesĒ from defenses of the 60ís , 70ís and 80ís.

Some are,
1965 Philadelphia - Fearsome Foursome
1975 Topps- Purple People Eaters
1986 Topps- Dent, Hampton, McMichael, and PerryÖ. The 1985 front line from one the greatest defenses ever. Do you remember the nickname given to that defense?

Although I LOVED "the greatest show on turf", I've always been a defense guy.

#2011658 - 10/11/12 07:13 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

Sorry but I agree with Gaugman. Hockey is end to end action whereas football has momentary bursts. NFL is the most televised sport but to see a sport live, nothing compares to hockey. The bubble remains intact.
#2011663 - 10/11/12 07:49 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: gaugman]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: gaugman
When I read Cammbís comment that hockey is the best spectator sport, I took it as the best to watch live. I agree with him. IMO, nothing beats being at a hockey game, especially playoff hockey. On TV itís nowhere near the same.

My favorite football sets are from the 50ís. 1955 Topps. 1955 Bowman. 1956 Topps. My wallet canít afford them so I just forget about them. I donít have enough discretionary income to collect both football and baseball. I do have a few sets from the 80ís but they canít compare with the 50ís. Not even close. I do collect ďfront linesĒ from defenses of the 60ís , 70ís and 80ís.

Some are,
1965 Philadelphia - Fearsome Foursome
1975 Topps- Purple People Eaters
1986 Topps- Dent, Hampton, McMichael, and PerryÖ. The 1985 front line from one the greatest defenses ever. Do you remember the nickname given to that defense?

Although I LOVED "the greatest show on turf", I've always been a defense guy.

"Monsters of the Midway"

#2011664 - 10/11/12 08:08 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

I think it all depends on the type of fan you are. I can watch a baseball, football or hockey game and enjoy everyone but the type of fan I am has always leaned towards baseball. Baseball has the richest history and embraces there history in ways other sports dont. If I am at a hockey or football game the crowd is generaly more obnoxious, loud and into other things besides the game itself, weather it's the tailgate party, halftime show or the next fight on the ice. At a ball game I relax and usually find someone to talk baseball with.....who's a better hitter, Cabrera or Votto. That sort of thing.

I do love football its my Sunday getaway. It's the whole weeks build up to gameday sort of thing. I just prefer baseball and checking the boxscore every morning is all.

The Hockey games I went to as a kid where all Baltimore Skipjack games. Those were awesome. Faced paced and brutal looking to a 10 year old! I think you have to really play hockey to appreciate it. Most baseball and football fans (myself included) have played those sports in little league, high school, semi pro/legion etc because they were available. How many of us have gotten on skates and try'd a slap shot?

#2011665 - 10/11/12 11:30 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: 33rdStreet]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Pac-man on the College satellite channel today said when he watches USC, Oregon or Texas college football, he gets most excited with the sideline shots, because the eye candy at those three schools are the best.

I guess he's never been to Florida State, Florida or any number of SEC schools.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2011674 - 10/11/12 02:47 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: bbo]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I rarely buy football cards these days but here is
one I bought a few weeks ago. Heck I haven't bought
much of anything these days so this was nice to
get.

Nice Sports King Scott. Nice 55 All-Americans
and that raw Bednarik looks great too!

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (goldenhawk) and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.