Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#2011688 - 10/11/12 07:00 PM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: aconte]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

John beautiful 57's! How close are you on that set from being complete?
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2011698 - 10/12/12 02:58 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

Im just not a hockey fan and if I was I would have started a Thread called "collecting Hockey Cards"

Rob(Blackie) I belive about 35 Short on the 57's, see my last post for the main cards mising.

I love the Rich history of football and the NFL, which is one of the main reasons I collect football cards in the first place. I believe its history is much more interesting than all the other sports. Which is only natural or else I would be collecting those other sports.

That is a SWEET Elroy Hirsch!

Ive hard talk that many of Jim Brown cards hace old Cadilacs and such in the Backgrounds. That nice looking 64 seems to bear that out.

Thats the other cool thing I like about older cards. The things in the background are sometimes the most interesting aspect of the card.

Take this 71 Larry Stallings for instance.
I find it interesting seeing the old residential housing in the background. This is what is lacking with most of the modern "Shinny chrome" cards. They lack that historical reference in the background.

One of my all-time favorite backgrounds appears on the 1971 Garo Yepremian Rookie Card. Did Garo just pull up in the family wagon in the background and jump out for his topps photo session? Thats classic stuff there boys!

Look at the old church steeple here. Your just not going to see any of these kinds of historical structures on any of these silly "game Used" hoaks of cards.

Now this is interesting. I will have to check the rest of the patriots Cards in my 70 set to see if others had their card photo done with that same church in the background.

Im wondering If Griese and Garo didn't pull up for the same Photo Session?

There are also lots of classic shots of the old stadiums and practice fields that really bring the history to life with these older Football cards.

John

#2011702 - 10/12/12 06:10 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Originally Posted By: trex
"Monsters of the Midway"

Trex, I loved that team.

I remember following the 83 Bears while they finished the season winning 5 of their last 6. I recall saying to a friend at the end of that season that the Bears will go to the Super Bowl next year.

Those years I gambled a little more then Iím proud to admit and before the 84 season I placed the bet.

They ended up losing in the NFC championship game, but that year I became a big time Bears fan which lasted through the Ditka years.

The following year, that 85 team was the most dominate team Iíve ever seen.

#2011703 - 10/12/12 06:27 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: gaugman]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: gaugman
 Originally Posted By: trex
"Monsters of the Midway"

Trex, I loved that team.

I remember following the 83 Bears while they finished the season winning 5 of their last 6. I recall saying to a friend at the end of that season that the Bears will go to the Super Bowl next year.

Those years I gambled a little more then Iím proud to admit and before the 84 season I placed the bet.

They ended up losing in the NFC championship game, but that year I became a big time Bears fan which lasted through the Ditka years.

The following year, that 85 team was the most dominate team Iíve ever seen.

Yeah, but it was almost more fun watching Ditka and Buddy Ryan on the sidelines.

#2011704 - 10/12/12 06:33 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Nice post John. Thanks. Like you, I think that's what I like best about the older cards, the background and the history with the background. As a kid I used to make a game out of identifying the baseball parks in the background of the cards. I think my favorite was the 57's and the background of Ebbett's Field.

Not, really football related, but I couldn't help myself.

#2011705 - 10/12/12 06:56 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: trex]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Now it would have been interesting if the church in the backround of those Patriots cards had been the Old North Church in Boston where Paul Revere finished his midnight ride.

Not a big fan of the cars and ranch houses in the backround of cards but I do like the stadiums and practice fields.

#2011708 - 10/12/12 08:27 AM Re: COLECTING FOOTBALL CARDS [Re: gaugman]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Great post John!

I like the backgrounds on those examples you have shown
and agree with you about those pics.

The 61 Fleer football is cool too. The Eagles
have Franklin field in the background and it
is neat.

aconte

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.