Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2011838 - 10/19/12 04:48 PM Another Football card thread
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Very happy with my football card run and wanted to show off my football cards. Yes I still collect the 58 Topps set but am having so much fun with Football cards and more memories are brought up.

Starting with my attempt at the best 1981 Topps Football set I can complete............this is my all time favorite set (and no not becuase of my favorite player Joe Montana rookie) but because its the first sportscards I remember getting down at the ole supermarket in small time as a little boy. Here are a few of my favorites I have

couldn't just stick with one.......so got both TPG's copies of this Joe

some higher grade 81 graded and some of the raws that John blessed me with for my set.........love this set!!!

One of my favorite cards from the 66 Philly set

Just wanted to share some cards for others to enjoy looking at.........after all thats what the hobbys about. Heck with the money or what cards are worth.....the love of the collecting and card is what its all about.

Edited by Blackie (10/19/12 04:50 PM)
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2011839 - 10/19/12 05:12 PM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: Blackie]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

I can still remember my Grandpaw (whom I called my poppal) taking me down to the grocery store or the ole drug store and telling me to pick up a couple of packs of cards. I can still feel the way the wax pack would open how the powdery feel of the bubble gum stick would put a thin coat of poweder on the top card. Would always wipe it off with my t-shirt as carefully as a kiddo could do. We would head back to the house and usually do some chores such as feeding the cattle and other little chores. Later in the evening I can remember going back through the cards at the dining room table with my poppal and listening to his stories of watching (or listening to ballgames on the radio) of players he remembered. If only I could go back and record those stories.

It was important to put the cards by team and I got such great joy when I had each card from any team. I carefully folded the wax pack wrappers and kept them rubber banded as I did the cards (had no clue of card condition at the time and didn't care). It was the hunt for cards and the excitement that it brought as one of the most importanat men in my life (my poppal) was by my side sharing in this hobby. Still today this is what the hobby means to me.........a place to "get away", a time to relax and enjoy those cardboard picture cards. Nothing touches my heart more than to have my kids come into my card room and ask questions about the cards. To see them hold a card and even ask if they can get one graded is such a great feeling.

I was telling John the other day in a PM about the care packages that my wife sent to my when I was on my first tour in Iraq in 2004. She would send me a few packs of baseball or football cards just to give a little piece of home to someone over 7,000 miles away. You see when I collect its not about the cost of the card, VCP average,or whatever..........its about the love of the card in the holder, the way it looks in my set or just the card in general. My 1958 set is a long term goal.....many cards being well below VG and some as high as NMMT but who cares I love em all the same. I continue to upgrade not for worth of set...but to have the finest set to pass down my children or granchild.

Sorry to ramble on so much....... Just wanted to share in my passion for this hobby I love so much with others again.

Here is an old photo of my poppal......just to give an idea of whom i was talking about

#2011843 - 10/19/12 05:58 PM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: Blackie]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

I actually think the Montana PSA is better centered. Send that one in.
#2011844 - 10/19/12 06:00 PM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: cammb]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

It is pretty well centered Tony

#2011850 - 10/19/12 09:06 PM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

Now were TALKING!

I absolutely love that your in it for the right reasons rob, We spoke about it before, the fact that the power of the cards to invoke the memories of that special someone you shared the simple act of card collecting with in its purest form is something money can't buy.

It also puts you in a special group. future generations will never again be able to experience card collecting at its purest form.

Rubber bands and Shoe boxes will never return to the hobby now dominated by "whats it worth" and people only in the hobby for profit motives.

They have no special meaning connecting them to that special someone or something in the past.

your Poppal may be gone in body, but his memory and spirit will always live on. All due to these little paste boards from the past that will always link you to that spirt and memory.
Your a lucky Man Rob. Most will never experience card collecting in this manner.

Please keep us posted of the progress and your wantlist.

John

#2011852 - 10/19/12 10:45 PM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: BigRedOne]
SMtJoy
veteran

Awesome cards Rob and an even better story, Thanks for sharing it. Good luck on your 58 baseball and 81 football, two really nice sets.

Ohh and how did I forget, your Sayers is outstanding, hope to own one myself someday!

#2011854 - 10/20/12 05:24 AM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

+1

"I absolutely love that your in it for the right reasons rob, We spoke about it before, the fact that the power of the cards to invoke the memories of that special someone you shared the simple act of card collecting with in its purest form is something money can't buy.

It also puts you in a special group. future generations will never again be able to experience card collecting at its purest form.

Rubber bands and Shoe boxes will never return to the hobby now dominated by "whats it worth" and people only in the hobby for profit motives."

Edited by trex (10/20/12 05:28 AM)

#2011855 - 10/20/12 05:38 AM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: Blackie]
trex
addict

You're made from the "right stuff" Rob. Top notch in my book, but then you already knew that. Even though you have shared the story with me it takes on new meaning when you take the time to put it in writing.

I know you'll pass your poppal's knowledge and wisdom down to your children and their children along with your passion for these precious little pieces of history and nostalgia.

Oh, and feel free to "ramble on" any time. Neat story.

#2011858 - 10/20/12 07:14 AM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: trex]
BigRedOne
old hand

Wait a minute! Rob
Is that your sayes card?! I thought you were still looking for one. Did you pull the trigger on this one?

John

#2011860 - 10/20/12 07:25 AM Re: Another Football card thread [Re: BigRedOne]
hitman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Nice story Rob,I love your Montanas and Sayers cards, let me know if you need any 81s as I have a bunch of extras that you may need. Good Luck with the set.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.