Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2012194 - 11/03/12 02:39 PM Collecting Roger Staubach
BigRedOne
old hand

Roger Staubach was my boyhood hero. He represented everything, not only a football player should be, but a human being should be.

Roger Staubach won the Heisman Trophy in 1963 after his junior year at the US Naval Academy.
During his three varsity seasons at Navy, Staubach
completed 63% of his 463 pass attempts, an unheard of Percentage at that time.

Following the completion of a mandatory five-year military commitment, including a tour of duty in Vietnam, Roger did not join the Cowboys until he was 27. But he made the most of the next decade.

He won 16 of his first 17 starts, and over the course of his nine years as the Cowboys starter won an amazing 73% of their games.

In the play that defined the still-popular term for a last-minute miracle pass, Staubach's 50 yard "Hail Mary" Touchdown throw to Drew Pearson in the final seconds of the 1975 NFC Divisional Playoff game, stunned the Minnesota Vikings and gave Dallas a 17-14 vicory.

Four times he led the NFL in passing(1971,'73, '78 and '79)and Was a six time Pro Bowl choice.

Roger Staubach was the consummate gentleman. Over the course of his 11-year career Roger Staubach came to symbolize the excellence of the 1970's Cowboys, leading them to Five NFC Titles, Four Super Bowl apperances and Two Championships.

Roger Staubach possessed a rare combination of Passing, Running and Leadership Skills that led the Cowboys to wins in close games, Including 23 come from behind victories and an unbelievable .737 winning percentage!

He did it again in his final home game against division-rival washington Redskins on 12/16/79, Staubach led Dallas from a 34-21 fourth-quarter deficit to a thrilling 35-34 win. Staubach conected with Tony Hill for the game-winning TD pass with seconds remaining on the clock.

Roger Staubach retired as the NFL's All-Time Passing leader with an 83.4 passer rating and he did it all in the "dead ball" era without the benefit of today's modern passing rules that allow even the NFL's worst QB's to throw for 300 yards and a few TD's virtually every game.

Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985, his 1st year of eligibility

Roger Staubach is regarded by many as the man that sparked a Cowboy dynasty that saw the team reel off 20 consecutive winning seasons.

He is without question the greatest quarterback Ive ever seen play.

Board Member Jim(Tex) and I have been going back and forth with our Roger Staubach cards. We were both surprised and unaware that there were so many newer cards release. Of course we had to have them as we both agreed that there is no such thing as a "bad" Roger Staubach card.

Edited by BigRedOne (11/03/12 02:44 PM)

#2012195 - 11/03/12 03:23 PM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

Been around for a long time and never have seen JFC?
#2012196 - 11/03/12 03:24 PM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: 33rdStreet]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

Are those custom holders? Never seen those before.
#2012198 - 11/03/12 07:35 PM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: 33rdStreet]
BigRedOne
old hand

The holders are indeed of my own making.
No sense playing the guessing game with TPG.
After 40 years in the hobby I've handled and evaluated more cards than most of the "Professional" graders, So I started my
own grading company LOL! While I still retain some cards in other holders, most all of my cards will now be graded by;
JOHN F. CLAYES (JFC)

We now return you to: Collecting Roger Staubach.

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: 197
School: Navy
First Pro season: 1969
Born: 2-5-42
Home: Dallas, Texas

Roger enjoyed a superb season in 1971 as he led the Cowboys to the NFL Worlds Championship. He was voted as MVP of the 1972 Super Bowl and named to all-star teams of almost every poll, as he also led the NFL in passing with an unheard of 104.8 passer rating. One of the outstanding collegiate players of all time, he was winner of the Heisman trophy as a junior at Navy.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (11/13/12 08:03 AM)

#2012201 - 11/04/12 05:33 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

John

Nice tribute to Roger, thanks for posting. I like the Charlie Water's quote on Roger the best, I can't remember it exactly word for word but something along the line "when Roger was in the game we always felt he would find a way to win" or something similar. IMO, he's the best at his position I've seen play. He was and still is a class act. Unusual in today's pro sports.

I really like that Fleer 06 Campus Classics card. Know where I can pick one up?

Nice holders! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Edited by trex (11/04/12 06:13 AM)

#2012203 - 11/04/12 08:58 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Here are some of my favorite Roger cards which I believe exemplifies the greatness of the athlete and the man.

Leadership/Confidence

Agility

Determination (Whatever it takes to win)

A Strong Arm Helps

Athlete/Scholar

Service To Country

Commitment To Family

Community Leader

#2012204 - 11/04/12 11:52 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: trex]
BigRedOne
old hand

Hey Jim

I thought it was time to go public with our Roger Staubach cards. There now seems to be so many nice ones out there. While over the years Ive always chased down the standard 1972 -80 Topps cards, it wasn't until you posted some of the newer cards that I became aware of many of the newer releases.

Jim, I thought you had that 06 Campus classic card? I think one can be found on ebay. Very nice addition to the thread with the "skills and qualities" that make Roger so great.

The Pro line cards are great! I don't have them. The "Agility" is the one I like. That photo is from SBVI and is the same one that is on 1980 Fleer Team Action card I would like to have.

What year are those Pro Line cards? Are they all from the same set? Those are very nice.

A few new ones I have gotten

That Pro Line photo is again featured here as well.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (11/04/12 11:55 AM)

#2012205 - 11/04/12 01:18 PM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

John

Yeah, feel like we've come out of the closet.

"Jim, I thought you had that 06 Campus classic card?" Lol, unless you had another one, that's one of the cards I sent you, along with the 09 Donruss Classics. It was a sad attempt at humor.

The Pro Line cards are 1992 and in a set of 9. Just received these this past week, love them. There's several listed on Ebay.

I like the "Hail Mary 50th Anniversary" card, but it's not historically accurate. I watched the game from start to finish and the game was played in old Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis. The Cowboy's were in there white jersey uniforms, not the blue. Also, the games was played December 28th, in Minneapolis. Now, look at the folks in the background on that card. Does that really look like December 28th in Minneapolis? If I remember correctly there was snow piled up all along the sidelines and outside the end zones. Also, it looks as though Roger is making a short pass in the card. In actuality he did a short pump then wound up and let her fly, and Drew Pearson was there, after the Viking defender slipped down, on the "frozen tundra." So, that has kinda kept me away from the card. It is a neat card though.

I've said it before, but this is the neat thing about this hobby, exchanging experiences, thoughts, ideas etc. with fellow collectors.

Edited by trex (11/04/12 01:22 PM)

#2012206 - 11/05/12 03:34 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: trex]
BigRedOne
old hand

Jim

With all the Rogers' Ive had coming and going I can't remember where they all came from! LOL

Thanks again for that one!

I never really thought about the photo on the 50th Anniversary Topps card. I did realize that it was not from the "Hail Mary" game, but I guess it just didn't register to me why they didn't feature the actual game. What the heck! I'll have to tear that card up!......... OK..... Not.
Why? Because theres no such thing as a bad Roger Staubach card... Right? Right.

Speaking of the old Metropolitan Stadium, I think thats another reason why football has lost some of its "toughness". In them days the weather in them old stadiums was as much a part of the game as the game itself. The snow, Mud and rain was part of the game of Football. When the team struggle was not only against the other team, but the elements as well. It added a certain gladiator toughness that these players from the past had, that is all but lost in this new Era of tecnology and fancy domed stadiums. There are a few hold outs like the Packers and Bears.

Even the fans were tough sob's in them stadiums.
I had a lot of respect for that Vikings' Team.
That defense was one of the greatest ever. Ive always felt bad they didn't get a Super Bowl win.

I know he passed for many yards and records, but I never was a fan of Fran Tarkenton. I always thought he was highly overrated and just didn't have the leadership skills to put a team on his back to get a win.

Back to the "Hail Mary", Here is the real deal Topps should have gone with for their card.
These 8 x 10 binder info sheets were put out briefly in the mid-ninties to the bst of my knowledge. I picked this one up recently for $6.00. There is another with Roger Staubach on it but the guy wants like 12.00 for it.

John

#2012208 - 11/05/12 11:04 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
Cardz4Me
addict

Loc: In Heaven I hope...

The Staubach cards looks good in the SGC holders. Why did you photoshop the SGC flips to look like JFC flips?

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.