Page 6 of 9 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#2012340 - 11/09/12 09:04 PM Re: How was your trip [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Jinxed? So you think Alabama played better or LSU/MSU played worse because you said it out loud or typed it here? I wasn't aware any of those players or coaches read these boards?

Alabama's offense has yet to score less than 33 points, except for LSU. A&M's defense has only held two teams below 13 points all year. But somehow they are expected to work a similar feat in Tuscaloosa on Saturday? There should be some incredibly long odds on that happening, right up there with a double lightning strike and hell freezing over.

I'll alert the media.

#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2012344 - 11/09/12 10:13 PM Re: How was your trip [Re: bbo]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: bbo
Jinxed? So you think Alabama played better or LSU/MSU played worse because you said it out loud or typed it here? I wasn't aware any of those players or coaches read these boards?

Alabama's offense has yet to score less than 33 points, except for LSU. A&M's defense has only held two teams below 13 points all year. But somehow they are expected to work a similar feat in Tuscaloosa on Saturday? There should be some incredibly long odds on that happening, right up there with a double lightning strike and hell freezing over.

I'll alert the media.

I think MSU shot themselves in the foot with their sloppy play.

1.) Missed FG
2.) 30 yards in penalties on Bama's 2nd TD drive
3.) INT in end zone
4.) Punt that hit the MSU guy in the back
5.) Fumbled kickoff

Do I think MSU is better than Bama? Certainly not. Do I believe MSU could have upset Bama? Absolutely. MSU's sloppy play cost me that bet. If the two teams were to play again tomorrow and the line were still 23, I would take that same bet all day long and probably win 9 out of 10 times.

Likewise, Les Miles' trickery cost them their game as well (but at least they covered). I'm not going to say LSU is better than Bama, but it's pretty darn close.

Is A&M better than Bama? Nope. Can they pull off an upset? Absolutely so. I guess we'll just wait and see tomorrow.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2012350 - 11/10/12 05:37 AM Re: How was your trip [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Old proverb: A fool and his money are soon parted.

That's why I choose not to bet on athletic contests. It's so unfavorably skewed and there are too many uncontrollable variables involved, it would soon make me poor and I'd look foolish.

And to set the record straight, that screenshot you produced from JoeStalin (Kevin) doesn't prove that I bet on anything. Nothing of the sort. He is a confirmed and proven liar.

Back to the games at hand. It's obvious to me you're hopin' and prayin' Alabama is upset so other team(s) can move up in the BCS race. That's another thing I learned when I used to gamble in college: keep my emotions far away from my bets. For instance, I never, ever bet on my team. Interestingly, Tom the bookie told me that before I made my first bet and I obliged. I appreciated his honesty in that regard.

I remember in 2007, LSU was ranked #1 and lost in triple overtime at Kentucky. That should have knocked them out of the BCS title game. Then the last game of the year, LSU lost to Arkansas in triple OT, which most certainly should have knocked them out of the BCS title. But that second loss kept them out of the SEC championship, as I recall and enough teams ahead of them lost the next week or in the conference championship games that LSU climbed all the way back up to #2 and ended up winning the title.

Moral of this story? Even if Bama loses a game somewhere, being the defending champ, I suspect the polls and computers will find a way to put them right back in the Big Game. I could envision all of the currently undefeated teams losing one game before bowls start. The pressure on these college kids is immense and they often succumb to it. The higher the climb, the brighter the lights.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2012352 - 11/10/12 06:22 AM Re: How was your trip [Re: bbo]
bbo
The Collectinator

This is pretty funny. SEC Guy is a Bama homer for sure and he calls into various radio shows across the south and lets everyone else have it. With respect to the above comment about smack talk, I actually think this guy takes the crown. No one is left standing after his rant, including the lady co-host. So click on this and enjoy the next 12:19.

Listen to SEC guy http://v4.texags.com/Stories/6832

Also on that webpage, you'll find a link to a radio interview with Broadway Joe Namath regarding today's contest in Tuscaloosa. Joe always sounds drunk to me. Someday, I'll tell a story about him while he played for the Bear regarding a Country Club incident.

#2012354 - 11/10/12 06:46 AM Re: How was your trip [Re: bbo]
bbo
The Collectinator

Reviewing the LSU/MSU vs. Bama gridiron contests brings to mind the definition of an excuse, which I once heard in a sermon by a great preacher: An excuse is nothing more than a reason with a lie wrapped around it.

I hope Les Miles and Dan Mullen aren't lying to themselves this week. There's plenty of football left to be played, starting tonight for those two.

There is also the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry tonight when Georgia tries to punch its ticket to the SEC Championship game. In this the 116th contest since 1892, a Georgia win can even the all-time record at 54-54-8. Amazing to play for so long and still not have a clear cut winner. The SID's from those schools need to join a message board somewhere and get this thing settled once and for all.

#2012355 - 11/10/12 07:55 AM Re: How was your trip [Re: bbo]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy
I would rather put my money on a sure thing like A&M +13- vs. Bama.

Yogi Berra: "Predictions are hard to make, especially about the future."

Although I do agree the over/under in the TCU/Kstate game is too low.

Total now at 57

WAIT.... 56'

Edited by gaugman (11/10/12 07:57 AM)

#2012356 - 11/10/12 08:14 AM Re: How was your trip [Re: gaugman]
bbo
The Collectinator

Lots of gamblers must be worried about Klein being effective, so the books are trying to drum up some action on the over.

#2012357 - 11/10/12 08:18 AM Re: How was your trip [Re: bbo]
gaugman
enthusiast

I hope Les Miles and Dan Mullen aren't lying to themselves this week. [/b][/b] There's plenty of football left to be played, starting tonight for those two.

What does this mean?

#2012358 - 11/10/12 08:24 AM Re: How was your trip [Re: bbo]
gaugman
enthusiast

They only reason "the books" would drum up action on the over is because there is too much action being bet on the under.

Now why is that?

#2012359 - 11/10/12 12:30 PM Re: How was your trip [Re: gaugman]
bbo
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: gaugman
They only reason "the books" would drum up action on the over is because there is too much action being bet on the under.

Now why is that?

Exactly what I said. A larger number of current bettors lack the belief that Klein will play effectively to match the offensive output of past games (or they believe TCU can hold them in check). So the oddsmakers lower the o/u to entice more people to bet the over, thereby balancing the books.

Page 6 of 9 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.