Page 2 of 12 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2012532 - 11/16/12 11:56 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
BigRedOne
old hand

John,

I understand what you're saying about the lopsided rules and I absolutely agree with you on that. I would not want to play defense back in the NFL today as the rules are so skewed against them. However, you have no proof whatsoever that the rules (lopsided as they are) are leading to an increase in passing yards or any other QB stat. Show me some research and maybe I'll change my mind.
[/quote]

Dave
Im flabergasted! If you understand and agree on the lopsided passing rules of todays game, what more proof could you want.

These guys throw 40-50 passes a game! Why? Because it is virtualy impossible to stop!

Even the worst QB's in the league are able to put up ridiculous numbers.

When the QB's and WR's are untouchable its no secret why teams are able to pass that much.

Why do you think they changed the passing rules?

Because the fans like scoring and the new rules where implemented to do exactly that, allow more scoring. That is a no Brainer!

I always liked the Al Davis quote "In the first part of the game the opposing Quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard"
Unfortunately you can't touch them no more, so that stradegy no long a part of the game.

I also disagree about the size.(gee imagine that LOL)

There are plenty of sucessful modern QB's at 6' 1" Drew Brees seems to be quite successful. That kid from Seattle hasn't been doing to bad.

To answer your question about how the old Timer's would do. You know it's coming.................................................................................................................................................. If you gave Unitas, Starr and Staubach this kind of advantage over the defense they would absolutely destroy the modern day NFL.

So devastating the destuction would be that the league would have to start to consider changing the rules again as it would be just an absolute slaughter every game.

Even the Fans, who love all the scoring the new passing rules promoted and allowed would begin to
think.... "wait a minute, this is just to unfair, these old timers are just scoring at will"

Somebody would have to step in and stop the massacre! Probably tell Roger he had to take his ball home and not play, as it just wouldn't be fair.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (11/16/12 12:02 PM)

#2012533 - 11/16/12 12:11 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: BigRedOne]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

WOW!

I think some of you guys are totally discounting the speed of todays game.

#2012534 - 11/16/12 12:24 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

To stay Unitas, Starr and other hall of famers couldn't put up numbers today is a little crazy, if they could pick apart a defense after getting pounded into the deck again and again by head hunting lineman on an un manicured field. I'd say under the new rules they'd be just as good. Players are bigger and stronger because of modern technology, training year round and everything else. If they played today I'm sure Johnny U and Bart would still be 6 1 but closer to 225 not there 180 1950 selves.
#2012535 - 11/16/12 12:42 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
33rdStreet
addict

Does anyone think today's players were born to be 265 to 365 speed demons? If I put them back in 1950 they'd be the size of players of that era if I brought the stars from the 50's to today they'd be bigger because of the capabilities of trainers, training etc of today. Greats are Greats in any era to me
#2012543 - 11/16/12 01:51 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Well said Daryl!!
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2012548 - 11/16/12 02:23 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: Blackie]
33rdStreet
addict

Someone had to say it Rob everyone seems to make the "if they played today they'd get crushed argument". Without giving the legends the benefit of today's players or taking away that benefit for modern stars. We all watch football, think we all have seen the game evolve. Everyone knows that today's QB's look there worst when hit to much or hurried alot. There passing numbers come back to earth quick. Let Rodger, Johnny or Bart sit in a pocket untouched ( unworried about being touched ) I'm sure they could hit a receiver given every possible advantage to get open.
#2012550 - 11/16/12 04:34 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

I hear ya. Daryl I just wish I could find more Old Vintage games to watch. I mean full games from start to finish. Would love to see Larry Csonka crush through the backfield and to see John Unitas make the long throw. The see the passion of the game in Staubachs eyes as he looked downfield to see where to launch the ball.

Man.........there has to be some games out there on disk somewhere.

#2012551 - 11/16/12 04:35 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: Blackie]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJvW8w5JSU

LOVE THIS CLIP!!!!!

#2012552 - 11/16/12 04:37 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: Blackie]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Look at this clip of Jim Taylor..........wow........he is a bulldozer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4a_XwZmg0

#2012553 - 11/16/12 05:03 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: Blackie]
trex
addict

Yeah Rob, back in the 60's there was Jim Brown and Jim Taylor, then all the other fullbacks. Brown had the moves, Taylor had the toughness. Of course Taylor also had the Lombardi offense and Ringo, Kramer (Jerry and Ron), Thurston, and Gregg in the offensive line pulling for him. Green Bay was an awesome team in the 60's.

Love to see some of the wussies of today, I mean so-called pro football players go back and try to play in that era. Wouldn't be pretty.

Page 2 of 12 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.