Page 3 of 12 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2012554 - 11/16/12 05:05 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: trex]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Taylor seems to aim for the defenders.......love that stuff. In the last part of the video.......the defender looks scared to make a move on him.
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2012555 - 11/16/12 05:15 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: Blackie]
trex
addict

He did and they were. Lombardi's theory was "Run to Daylight."

#2012558 - 11/16/12 08:26 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: trex]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

Athletes were real men back in the sixties, that's pretty much what players lack today in my opinion. They have some alternate reality created by the media and multi million dollar deals. Back in the sixties football and baseball players hardly ever felt safe in there job, always someone in the wings ready to take there job and that caused them to be hungry as hell. Rob, old football games to me are muddy fields, snow, lineman in casts, close ups where you can see the steam coming off the players! When I was a kid I thought they were gladiators and the meanest toughest bastards in the world. Nowadays I think they are whiney brats ( not all but a good many)
#2012561 - 11/16/12 08:38 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: trex]
33rdStreet
addict

You know what I loved about that clip Rob... He lowered his shoulder on every run, no sliding for the first there. Hard nosed smashmouth football.
#2012564 - 11/16/12 08:45 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

He was earning every yard brother! Making the defense work hard to try and stop him. Great videos!
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2012568 - 11/17/12 07:24 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

NOW THAT'S FOOTBALL!

In all fairness Football is still a pretty brutal game even in the Modern era, you need to be a pretty tough sob to play it. I do understand the need the owners and players feel to help protect themselves, as it is more of a business and money game today.

There is no doubt that Payton Manning is one of the Elite QB's in the modern era. How one would fair in other era's will always be open for debate. One thing is for sure, Had Payton played in the "deadball" era, he most certainly would not have been putting up 30, 40, 50 Passes a game.
If he stayed healthy and was able to take the abuse and beatings QB's in that era took, its likely he could have had a hof career as well then.

Naturally Im bias torward players of the past because I strongly feel they played with more heart and soul and obviously for more than just money. I feel they had a deeper respect for the game and its history. Most of the players today would not be playing if not for the money, and probably rightfully so. They just are simply not as dedicated to the game beyond the money asspect as the heroes of the past were.

Another point I would like to make is about weather and field conditions. The majority of games played today are in tempeture control stadiums making the weather a non factor in most games played.

On the flip side, the old gridiron heroes often did not enjoy such a luxury. Ive often felt the game loses some of it gladiator appeal when the elements of Mud, Wind, Rain and Cold are removed from the equation. A few outdoor venues remain and its always more enjoyable to see games played in that setting.

The Vikings lost virtually all the great history they had at the old Metopolitan Stadium when they went to that Dome Staidium. Same with the lions. I can't even watch footballs played there.

How would you feel if the Bears and Packers both went inside to enviormentally controled dome stadiums?

One other Point I would like to make is the "Team". The great teams of the past were
cohesive units that many times played their whole careers together. There was more of a Team Spirt and honor for one's team. There was more of a kindship between the players. That Packer Dynasty was like a Family that played for each other.
Same could be said about many of the great teams of the Time. The Great Kansas City Chiefs Team.

This is all but lost in todays modern era.
Every year the sport an almost completely new roster. As a kid, a player or two might be swapped, but Cowboys were Cowboys and Redskins Were Redskins. having a favorite team now days is not really even possible.

I sure do long for when it was a game.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (11/17/12 07:46 AM)

#2012622 - 11/18/12 08:22 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Now this was football as it was meant to be. 1967 NFL Championship game in Green Bay. The winner plays in the first ever NFL/AFL Championship Game, aka Super Bowl I. Game time Temp. -15F with a windchill of -48F. No roof/dome...no fantasy football.

The fans were gladiators too.

Hey...who forgot to bring the heated benches and the sideline heaters?

Who forgot to close the roof?

The agony of defeat and the end to a great career. And obviously way before the advent of today's "Touch Football."

Edited by trex (11/18/12 09:43 AM)

#2012623 - 11/18/12 08:41 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: trex]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

That Y.A. Tittle photo sums it up
#2012625 - 11/18/12 09:30 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: cammb]
33rdStreet
addict

Naw those guys couldn't handle the game today????? Whatever!!!!
#2012626 - 11/18/12 11:36 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

To say that the guys back then couldn't handle the game of today is no more absurd than saying the guys of today couldn't handle the game back then. We'll never know.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

Page 3 of 12 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.