Page 5 of 12 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#2012645 - 11/19/12 08:50 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: BigRedOne]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

First off, greats would be great no matter when they played, but I strongly disagree that the greats of 50 years ago are better and tougher than the stars of today and that the rule changes seem to prove that.

Todayís athlete is so much bigger and faster than the athletes of the 50ís and 60ís. Watching film from the good ole days, when there was always frigid temps and snow covered the field every game, (sarcasm) you see a much, much, much slower game.
When it comes to the size and speed of the atheletes much of it has to do with training and nutrition, but not all of it. The avg. size of man has gotten bigger and stronger through the centuries and to think that in the last 50-60 years man hasnít continued to progress is wrong.

There are linemen today that are faster than many who played in the secondary just 40 years ago, and the size and weight of the football player at every position has gotten a lot larger. For whatever reason, that is a fact.

The speed of the game today is just incredible when compared to the game of the 60ís. Itís just the evolution of the game and all sports in general. This is also a fact.

Because todayís game is more pass oriented coaches have gone to drafting taller and stronger quarterbacks if for no other reason than because of the height and size of the defensive line. That doesnít mean a shorter QB canít compete but taller sure does help.

The rules of football, relating to safety, have not changed because the players today are wusses, theyíve changed to prevent someone from getting killed. Because of this speed and size, a defender launching himself helmet first like a missile at a defenseless receiver can no longer be allowed.
What I find funny is when someone says that the quarterback today stands in the pocket untouched. The game I think of right away was the playoff game in 2010 between the Saints and the Vikings. The beating Favre took in that game was unsurpassed and the fact he kept getting up was astonishing. Quarterbacks today take a beating just as much as ever, if not more. Being slammed onto the turf (not dirt) shoulder first and hitting their heads with up to 100 pounds more in body weight per player landing on top of them is just one more thing the greats of the past didnít have to deal with. Unitas, Starr, Staubach, whomever, were not indestructible and if they played today the rules to prevent hitting below the knee and to the head would still have been put in effect.
I agree there have been bullsh!t calls, especially when the rules to protect the QB were first put in and enforced, but the refs have gotten better at letting them play.
Quarterbacks take a beating no matter what era they play in. The rules needed to be changed, not because the quarterbacks are inferior to their predecessors, but because a QB finishing the year without injury would likely be the exception.

Rich

#2012646 - 11/19/12 09:05 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: gaugman]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

So in 40 years men will be giants?! Things call steroids and HGH are used today. That's a fact.
#2012647 - 11/19/12 09:10 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
gaugman
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: 33rdStreet
So in 40 years men will be giants?! Things call steroids and HGH are used today. That's a fact.

Soooo you agree with me or....what? What's your point

#2012648 - 11/19/12 09:17 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Rich is right. People are getting bigger (women too) and it has nothing to do with steroids or HGH. In fact, they were talking about that on the radio this morning and it had nothing to do with athletes. It's just a fact, do your research.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2012649 - 11/19/12 09:17 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: gaugman]
33rdStreet
addict

I think ball players Are bigger than ever because of differnt training, nutrition and a little extra help. I don't think a 260 pound man 40 years ago was weaker than a 260 pound man today. That man today has extra advantages that didn't exist then is all. The game is faster but given those same advantages the greats adapt just like the greats now adapt when the domes, the climate control is taken away and we make them play in the mud and rain. A great is great no matter when they played. Don't think anyone is wrong it's all an opinion just don't think the people are bigger naturally. Fatter maybe not stronger
#2012650 - 11/19/12 09:25 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
gaugman
enthusiast

I think ball players Are bigger than ever because of differnt training, nutrition and a little extra help. I don't think a 260 pound man 40 years ago was weaker than a 260 pound man today. That man today has extra advantages that didn't exist then is all. The game is faster but given those same advantages the greats adapt just like the greats now adapt when the domes, the climate control is taken away and we make them play in the mud and rain. A great is great no matter when they played. Don't think anyone is wrong it's all an opinion just don't think the people are bigger naturally. Fatter maybe not stronger

My point was why the rules had to be changed and that players today take a beating, maybe moreso then say 50 years ago. To say quaterbacks go untouched, even in jest is foolish. For whatever reason, athletes today are bigger, stronger, and much faster. Am I wrong?

#2012651 - 11/19/12 09:34 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: gaugman]
33rdStreet
addict

You really think players take a bigger beating now? Who can argue that players don't get crushed when hit today. It's a dangerous game played by enormous men. I think players in the past got hit more because certain rules didn't exist. I agree the rules have changed because players are bigger stronger and faster. I just think that's because they are chemically enhanced. That's the nature of the game. The only part of your comment I kind of disagree with is the fact that players are naturally bigger.
#2012652 - 11/19/12 09:35 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: 33rdStreet]
33rdStreet
addict

I saw leftwhich take a beating last night that's for sure.
#2012653 - 11/19/12 09:55 AM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy
Ask Peyton Manning if he would swap places with Henne or Luck this week.

I think someone stole their CU username from this magazine cover. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

He would gladly swap places with Brady (who beat him once this year and has the tie breaker for home field), or Schaub (who has a 3-game lead on him for home field). Heck, Manning would love to be in any top 5 discussion week in and week out this year.

The reality is he trails Aaron Rodgers (your other over rated guy) in YTD QB rating and trails Brady in Super Bowl rings 3-1.

Uhh, Tom Cruise's character, Maverick, in the movie Top Gun pre-dates the SI cover. One of the most creative ebay handles in hobby history pre-dates the SI cover also. Research came up short a bit on this one.

Baylor 55 - Pretender State 24.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2012658 - 11/19/12 02:46 PM Re: Congrats to Peyton Manning... [Re: bbo]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

Right now its between Manning and Rodgers for MVP. What would you say if Manning wins another MVP?
Page 5 of 12 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.