Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#2013140 - 12/02/12 06:26 AM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: bbo]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Originally Posted By: bbo
BigRedOne is right on all counts. Even the PS.

AGREE

#2013142 - 12/02/12 07:09 AM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: gaugman]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

I will respectfully bow out of this argument lol. I'll just post once more on it because after all it all about an opinion. As BigRedOne said I enjoy the passion demonstrated by the regular members of this board which is why I post here, it's very refreshing. I do agree with everyone that is mad with PSA I just choose to not get irate about it is all. This is my hobby and they are cards. The simple fact is it has always been easier for me to find cards via PSA than SGC or any other company. I have as much PSA stuff as SGC and like alot of you believe they do a decent job. If they take a giant hit for this then oh well, looks like SGC gains ground right. Just one more thing and I usually don't say this kind of crap but I've re-enlisted 3 times during a time of conflict I have strong beliefs when it comes to what I think is right and what I think is wrong and morality but this is cards guys. If PSA tanks then oh well guess the deserve it and I may be crossing a boat load of cards all I ever really stated was I don't think it affects them any. If the TPG thing tanks I guess we all go back to trying to buy cards from the overwieght guy behind the table at shows who thinks his whole table is mint quality. Fine by me I take my wife to shows and dress her up and sick her on those guys to get deals....... Gotta do what you gotta do.
Like I said I never said I disagreed really with anyone's anger towards PSA. They lied they should pay the price if it comes to that I just hope the other companies haven't done the same.

#2013154 - 12/02/12 09:13 AM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Very well said John and spot on in IMO. BBO made a comment the other day about the "dumbing down of America." The folks on the other side of the street could be a poster child for that statement. The thought process there is "Hey I know PSA is corrupt, I know they're unethical, but it don't affect my portfolio/registry yet, so what." "How many ways can I spin this, then just stick my head in the sand and hope it goes away." "Let's just give them a pass on this", their mantra. More Kool-Aid please. "As long as I get my propaganda magazine every month and attend the yearly rubber chicken kumbayah, who cares."

It's just amazing to me what we, American's, have come to tolerate these days. Whatever happened to the moral and ethical compass that made America exceptional. Seems at least in this hobby as it pertains to the aforementioned group, it's been replaced with a number on a piece of plastic and whatever it takes to get that.

I suppose a good analogy would be an auto accident with injuries and you're the first to arrive on the scene, do you just turn your head and say "whew that looked pretty bad" and just drive on by. "Glad that didn't affect me." "I haven't the time to stop, gotta get to my kumbayah meeting and receive my rubber chicken."

John makes reference to the Aaron Tippin song "You gotta Stand for Something or you'll fall for anything." How true that is. Sadly, as a country we're falling for anything.

Just my humble opinion.

#2013155 - 12/02/12 09:39 AM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: trex]
33rdStreet
addict

Trex,

Not attempting to argue about any if this but there are plenty of great young Americans out there. I've seen it first hand.

#2013158 - 12/02/12 10:08 AM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: 33rdStreet]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

I really don't think this has anything to do with, "dumbing down of America" and whether or not there are, "plenty of great young Americans" because there certainly are great Americans and 33rdStreet, you surely are a great American,a Patriot. A hero

I think it all comes down to what Big Red said, there is a difference between
"wrongly graded" and Knowingly misgrading

You really can't allow it.

#2013160 - 12/02/12 10:15 AM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: gaugman]
33rdStreet
addict

Point taken
#2013178 - 12/02/12 12:31 PM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: 33rdStreet]
BigRedOne
old hand

Im glad we are all able to have such a civil discussion here on such a "Hot" issue.
By now this would have turned into a ugly name calling thread anywhere else but here.

First, Thank you for your service "33rd", I do agree with you that if the whole TPGing thing collapsed and went away and all the cards became worthless as far as money goes, I would not have a problem with that. In fact, I would almost welcome that! It would purge our great hobby of all the greed and corruption as well as rid it of all the "Whats it worth" Label collectors who are in the hobby for no other reason than the monetary value they place on the cards. They might as well just be blank pieces of cardboard.

I would still be here after the Apocalypse, Likely enjoying making my favorite sets without having to "break the bank" for some "Low Pop" common card that people like to believe is worth some extrodinary amount of money because of the label some corperate company put on it.

With nothing but the true nostalgia collectors remaining(all 25-30 of us LOL) we would be free of the stigma of monetary value and be able to simply trade cards accordingly.

Grading of course would still be a subjective point. Just imagine.... an online site just for trading cards! Not that there wouldn't likely be a few disagreements, but with no monetary value involved, all the corrupt money grubbing scummbags would move on to deflower and corrupt some other area of society where the money is at.

The only value of the cards now would be the strength and affection for our favorite players.

Mantle,Ruth, Cobb would still command great trade value.

I may swap you my extra 58 Jim Brown Rookie, but come on dude! Your offering up some 66 Philly commons and a 76 Dennis Eckersley Rookie?

If you throw in that 57 Bart Starr Rookie we'll have ourselves a DEAL!

One can only hope! LOL

I also don't view them as "Only Cards"

To me they reprsent a part of our nation's history. They chronicle the history of many of our nation's greatest heroes. Heroes who had to overcome great odds, from Jessie Owens' Olympic dominance in the face of Nazi tyranny to Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier against all odds, to the inspirational human stories of Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo and Rockey Blier.
Legendary tales of the American Spirit.

Card Collecting and its history through the 50's, 60's & 70's was a special time and it was uniquely American. It reprsents EVERYTHING these radical Muslim towelheads blow themselves up trying to destroy. Indeed they are more than just cards to me and I will do my best to defend them at all cost... Ok , Ok Somebody Please Stop Me here!

I love ya ALL! and the great cards you all bring to light here! Keep em Honest!

John

#2013182 - 12/02/12 01:26 PM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: BigRedOne]
33rdStreet
addict

I used the term only cards in terms of the bigger picture meaning there are larger things in life. I collect because I love the game, baseball and football. It's an extension of my childhood and it was my connection to my father in alot of ways. It's my geek outlet.....everytime I pull out the loop and start looking at my cards my wife grills me " oh look at the big bad Marine DI!!! Your such a geek!!!". Immediately I am put in my place lol!

BigRedOne I am sure we could sit down and talk football all day and have s hell of a time doing it.

#2013184 - 12/02/12 01:33 PM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: 33rdStreet]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Love you guys!!!! So glad there are others that collect for the love of collecting and not some monetary value. Too bad we have to pay so much for nice cards but i guess thats part of it.
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2013191 - 12/02/12 03:08 PM Re: Bad, bad, bad, bad..... [Re: Blackie]
royalbrett
Hobbyist

Loc: Mid-Michigan

I am also one of those who could care less if graded cards suddenly became worthless. See my sig for what I collect. You think I give a crap about value?

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.059 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.