Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2013345 - 12/05/12 09:01 AM Re: More Trivia [Re: FYS]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: FYS
 Originally Posted By: trex
I can't think of any. The Cy Young award originated in 1956. The Yanks cam close in 1961, Maris MVP and Ford Cy, but Norm Cash, Tigers took the batting title, and the White Sox came close in 1959 Fox MVP and Wynn Cy, but Harvey Kuenn, Tigers won the batting title. Now, Norm Cash played for the White Sox in 1959, two years before he won the batting title....Might count for something.

More modern day. Baseball was played after the 60's:)

I guess that's a matter of opinion. If you want to call this modern day stuff that's played today... baseball, well okay.

#2013352 - 12/06/12 05:05 AM Re: More Trivia [Re: trex]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Originally Posted By: cammb
What team had the MVP, CY Young and Batting title winners all in the same year. (3 different players)

This was the original question, team (singular) not teams (plural). So, you got your answer. That being said you did stir some interest so I researched it and found there is another TEAM, not that I recognize any of the players, I had to double check and make sure it wasn't a hockey team I had stumbled on to. So, let's see if anyone else can find it. ;\)

I looked it up and you don't recognize any of the players? Ohhhh.....you're being facetious. Stop living in the past trex.

#2013356 - 12/06/12 08:27 AM Re: More Trivia [Re: gaugman]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: gaugman
 Originally Posted By: cammb
What team had the MVP, CY Young and Batting title winners all in the same year. (3 different players)

This was the original question, team (singular) not teams (plural). So, you got your answer. That being said you did stir some interest so I researched it and found there is another TEAM, not that I recognize any of the players, I had to double check and make sure it wasn't a hockey team I had stumbled on to. So, let's see if anyone else can find it. ;\)

I looked it up and you don't recognize any of the players? Ohhhh.....you're being facetious. Stop living in the past trex.

Oh now, just because one has chosen not to watch much pro sports or follow it at all since about 1990 for hundreds of reasons..too many to list here, except for when Michael Jordan was playing, doesn't necessarily place them in the living in the past category. Now college sports, that's a totally different story. So, I don't recognize or care about three names I just happened to pull up on a Google search out of pure curiosity and now I'm ready for the old folks home. Thanks!

Now I do collect 50's, 60's and a few 70's here and there sports cards, so I suppose one could surmise I'm living in the past. But if that's true of all who collect sports cards in that era, I'd say I've got some pretty good company.

Facetious?? According to Wikipedia "Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant."

Serious issues....really? Inappropriate humor....seriously? Flippant? C'mon man! Inappropriate humor supposedly gets you banned from the site. Guess I should watch for my banning notice any minute now. Wait a minute, maybe I already got it and I've forgotten about it already...I,I,I just can't seem to remember anything these days, and I stutter a lot.

Whatever. Have a great day. \:\)

#2013360 - 12/06/12 01:15 PM Re: More Trivia [Re: trex]
gaugman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

Oh now, just because one has chosen not to watch much pro sports or follow it at all since about 1990 for hundreds of reasons..too many to list here, except for when Michael Jordan was playing, doesn't necessarily place them in the living in the past category. Now college sports, that's a totally different story. So, I don't recognize or care about three names I just happened to pull up on a Google search out of pure curiosity and now I'm ready for the old folks home. Thanks

Ohh Kaaay? I'll play,

I don’t know what you’re referring to regarding an old folks home or you not following pro sports since 1990. I was talking about this comment you made when answering a statement about baseball after the 1960's,

“I guess that's a matter of opinion. If you want to call this modern day stuff that's played today... baseball, well okay.”

Now that statement was made after you answered a 1961 trivia question correctly and now claims to not know 3 fairly prominent active players.

As far as the definition of facetious, you better get a new dictionary and not one printed in the 50's or 60’s.

Dictionary.com reads…

fa•ce•tious
fəˈsi ʃəsShow Spelled [fuh-see-shuh s]
adjective
not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
amusing; humorous.
lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

Don't know if you're serious but nobody's talking about the fiscal cliff here.

Rich

#2013366 - 12/06/12 02:21 PM Re: More Trivia [Re: gaugman]
trex
addict

No seriousness here, it's a sports card forum. But the truth is I don't recognize any of the three, and truth is I haven't seriously watched or followed pro sports since around 1990, except for Jordan, and doubt that I ever will again. I remember pro sports as it was when I was a kid, teenager, 20 year old, 30 year old, and maybe push 40. But after that I got disenchanted, let's say, with it all and switched to college sports.

The last pro game I attended in person was Game 3 of the 1988 World Series in Oakland. A young slender kid, at the time, Mark McGwire won the game with a home run in the bottom of the ninth...but the whole game was boooring.

After 1990 I had pretty much given it up, then the strike in 94 did it for me for good.

So, good or bad, I prefer to remember the game, or games, as it was and not as it is today.

Just my opinion, right or wrong. ;\)

#2013374 - 12/06/12 06:24 PM Re: More Trivia [Re: trex]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

the strike in 94 did it for me for good.

+1
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2013378 - 12/06/12 07:49 PM Re: More Trivia [Re: bbo]
33rdStreet
addict

Loc: NC

Come on now, the grass is just as green, the crack of the bats the same, double plays always look the same and a hot dog and beer tastes just as good. I got chills walking my son into Camden Yards for his first game the same kind I had when my father took me to mine at Memorial Stadium. People are differnt but not the game
#2013381 - 12/06/12 09:01 PM Re: More Trivia [Re: bbo]
SMtJoy
veteran

+2 Have not followed it the same since
#2013396 - 12/08/12 01:30 AM Re: More Trivia [Re: trex]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

I guess I will have 2 categories of trivia questions in the future. Modern day and ancient. I will post the answer tomorrow.

Edited by cammb (12/08/12 01:37 AM)

#2013399 - 12/08/12 06:18 AM Re: More Trivia [Re: cammb]
SMtJoy
veteran

I would like Ancient for 300 please.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.022 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.