Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#2013448 - 12/09/12 08:10 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: Cardz4Me]
BigRedOne
old hand

A shout out is in order here!

With the holiday season upon us our very own board member Trex(Jim)came through with the Christmas spirit for me.

Like Roger Staubach, Jim went above and beyond the call of duty in providing me with this Christmas gift. It is now my favorite and most meaningful Set of the greatest QB Ive ever saw play the game... Roger Staubach

Few in this hobby are in it for all the right reasons. Jim is one of those few.

Thanks again Jim!

Edited by BigRedOne (12/09/12 08:43 AM)

#2013449 - 12/09/12 09:05 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

Agree. You got away with a good grade. The top right corner seems separated to go along with multiple dings on the edges.
#2013453 - 12/09/12 11:41 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Originally Posted By: BigRedOne
I must question the grade on it though.
The corner damage and dings along the edge likely
put the card more in the EXMT or lower range.

John

Those aren't "dings" along the edge. The card was a punch out and those are perforation nubs. I don't believe they should detract from the grade. I think even with the bad corners and centering, a NM-7 is fair. Overall eye appeal is significantly better than 6 or lower.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2013485 - 12/10/12 07:54 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: bbo]
BigRedOne
old hand

Originally Posted By: bbo
 Originally Posted By: BigRedOne
I must question the grade on it though.
The corner damage and dings along the edge likely
put the card more in the EXMT or lower range.

John

Those aren't "dings" along the edge. The card was a punch out and those are perforation nubs. I don't believe they should detract from the grade. I think even with the bad corners and centering, a NM-7 is fair. Overall eye appeal is significantly better than 6 or lower.

Mike
I suspected they were "punch nubs"
But I must respectfully disagree about the NM grade. While I could likely accept the "Punch Nubs", the corner damage just looks to significant
for me the accept it as NM. Its a very cool Roger card and I don't want to rip on the guys card, but condition wise its just not very eye appealing to me with that kind of corner damage.

On the other hand, There's really no such thing as a Bad Roger Staubach card!

The Greatest QB I ever saw play the game.

Happy Holidays!
John

Edited by BigRedOne (12/10/12 08:01 AM)

#2013489 - 12/10/12 03:37 PM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: BigRedOne]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Might be simply more punch-out nubs that happen to be on the corner rather than actual corner wear. I dunno. Most TPG'ers err on the side of caution and move it down a grade. I'd rather give a card with that much color and gloss the benefit of the doubt and round up.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2013491 - 12/10/12 05:02 PM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: bbo]
hitman
enthusiast

Loc: new jersey

I never owned a Mexican card before this so i'm not sure how sharp the corners are on them. The card was graded a PSA 7 also but I have all my Staubachs in SGC so wanted in this in SGC holder.The corners are not sharp as you can see in the photo and it is some kind of punch out not cut like other cards.It was pulled from a pack with the other card in a PSA 9 ST.I still don't see a stain and the person who subbed it for me did not see anything also.I never thought I would ever own this card but got a great deal on unopen pack with Staubach on top PSA 5 and took a chance and I really like it and looks great with my other Staubachs.
#2013502 - 12/11/12 03:19 AM Re: Collecting Roger Staubach [Re: hitman]
BigRedOne
old hand

Hitman

Theres no doubt that 77 Mexican Roger Staubach is a very desirable card and I meant no disrespect.
I just felt the card appeared to be overgraded IMHO. Still a desirable card and if you would like to send it out to me I would be proud to own it for sure.

You mentioned a stain? What is the discoloration spot on the card on Rogers Chest just above the 1 on his jersey? Shoulder area? Other spots on his sock?

What other Roger Staubach cards do you have in your collection? It would be great if you could post some more of them.

One can never post enough great cards of the Greatest QB Ive ever seen play the game.....

Roger Staubach

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.