Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2014189 - 12/31/12 02:41 PM World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Hey, Topps! Great idea for a subset. I believe 1960 was the first issue that had them (commemorating the first West Coast Series in 1959 between Dodgers and Pale Hose).

Here's one of my favorites, from 1965 Topps (St. Louis taking 4/7 from the old and bruised up Yanks in October 1964), a real knock-down, drag out with momentum shifting multiple times per game. Gibson was clearly the pitching star for the Cardinals with a 2-1 record and 3.00 ERA. He came back on two days rest to hurl a complete game 7 and give the crown to St. Louis.

Ford and Downing disappointed for NY, while youngsters Stottlemyre and Bouton combined to go 3-1. The Yankees belted 10 HR (Mantle had 3) while the Cardinals played a lot of small ball, with 5 HR peppered in for good measure. Shannon, Boyer and McCarver had timely clouts in the clutch to stun the NY-9.

I've owned these for a while and just upgraded the Bouton to MINT 9 (meaning the 8 is available for those of you in Rio Lindo).

TRIVIA QUESTION: What's wrong with the Mantle Clutch HR photo?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2014193 - 01/01/13 06:01 AM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: bbo
Hey, Topps! Great idea for a subset. I believe 1960 was the first issue that had them (commemorating the first West Coast Series in 1959 between Dodgers and Pale Hose).

Here's one of my favorites, from 1965 Topps (St. Louis taking 4/7 from the old and bruised up Yanks in October 1964), a real knock-down, drag out with momentum shifting multiple times per game. Gibson was clearly the pitching star for the Cardinals with a 2-1 record and 3.00 ERA. He came back on two days rest to hurl a complete game 7 and give the crown to St. Louis.

Ford and Downing disappointed for NY, while youngsters Stottlemyre and Bouton combined to go 3-1. The Yankees belted 10 HR (Mantle had 3) while the Cardinals played a lot of small ball, with 5 HR peppered in for good measure. Shannon, Boyer and McCarver had timely clouts in the clutch to stun the NY-9.

I've owned these for a while and just upgraded the Bouton to MINT 9 (meaning the 8 is available for those of you in Rio Lindo).

TRIVIA QUESTION: What's wrong with the Mantle Clutch HR photo?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Answer to the trivia question.

The photo shows Mantle hitting against Gibson in St. Louis. All well and good, but the clutch home run was in game 3 as the card depicts and game 3 was played in Yankees Stadium. If I remember right, Mantle's clutch home run came off of Barney Schultz, a knuckleball that didn't knuckle. So, the picture on the card came from game 7, Gibson pitched both game 2 and game 7 and in St. Louis. He also pitched game 5 in New York. Mantle didn't hit a home run off Gibson in game 2. He did hit one off of him in game 7, but the Cardinals with Gibson won game 7 and the World Series. So Mantle's home run was hardly a clutch home run. The home run off Schultz in game 3 in Yankee Stadium was, it came in the bottom of the ninth and won the game.

So, right game, wrong stadium/city and wrong pitcher.

And no, I didn't look it up. I watched all seven games of the 64 World Series, on tv.

Besides winning the game with his home run in game 3, what was the historical significance of Mantle's game 3 home run?

Here's a pretty humorous article on that home run. I guess lore has it, he called it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/10/29/micky.mantle.book/index.html

#2014195 - 01/01/13 06:31 AM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

I'm looking at that card a little closer, and I'm not even sure it depicts a home run. Look close at McCarver's glove and right hand. It looks to me he's trapping a foul tip. Conversely, look at the next card down, Boyer's grand slam. Look how Ellie Howard's glove and hand are positioned, normal for expecting to receive a pitch, while McCarver's looks as though he's trapping a ball.

Here's a kinda interesting note too. Back then the tv commentators for the World Series were one radio commentator from each team, remember back then we only had two games a week on tv Saturday and Sunday. For instance Mel Allen and Russ Hodges did the '62 series, Yanks/Giants. Mel Allen and Vin Scully did the '63 series, Dodgers/Yanks. Vin Scully and Ray Scott did the '65 series Dodgers/Twins. In '64 Harry Caray and Curt Gowdy did games 1-2 and 6-7 while Phil Rizzuto and Joe Garagiola did games 3-5. My guess is four games is about all NBC could tolerate of Harry Caray. Jack Buck was the other radio announcer for the Cardinals then, Joe Garagiola left in 1962. I kinda seem to remember some sort of brew ha-ha over the whole deal but I can't remember exactly how it went down.

#2014198 - 01/01/13 08:28 AM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: trex]
bbo
The Collectinator

trex got it. The card shows Mantle hitting off Bob Gibson, presumably in Game 7, not game 3 (the backstop padding behind Mickey is the same as game 1 which was in NY). Barney Shultz offered up the gopher ball to the Mick in the ninth inning of game 3 in St. Louis. The pitcher's follow-through in the photo is NOT Barney's. Barney was/is Caucasian and was near the end of his career at the time, at age 38.

To take a stab at his trivia question regarding the significance of Mantle' HR, I'll guess that it broke Ruth's WS record of 15, giving Mickey 16. He hit two more, including his 18th WS HR, off Gibby in Game 7 that didn't directly affect the outcome of the game.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2014201 - 01/01/13 09:44 AM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

Game 1-2 and 6-7 were in St. Louis. The padding behind Mickey was in St. Louis, also Mantle is wearing the Yankees road uniform. Game 3-5 was played in Yankee Stadium, Mantle's game winning home run in game 3 came off Schultz, but it occurred in Yankee Stadium.

You're right on the trivia question, that one broke the Babe's record. He also homered in game 6 and 7, giving him 18. This was his last World Series.

#2014202 - 01/01/13 10:17 AM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: trex]
cammb
old hand

Loc: Jamesport, NY

I believe you guys shared the answers before hand.
#2014239 - 01/01/13 03:07 PM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: trex]
bbo
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: trex
Game 1-2 and 6-7 were in St. Louis. The padding behind Mickey was in St. Louis, also Mantle is wearing the Yankees road uniform. Game 3-5 was played in Yankee Stadium, Mantle's game winning home run in game 3 came off Schultz, but it occurred in Yankee Stadium.

You're right on the trivia question, that one broke the Babe's record. He also homered in game 6 and 7, giving him 18. This was his last World Series.

I stand corrected on the venue. I had them switched. Topps still confuses me, nearly 50 years later!

Bouton, game 6 winner is wearing the correct road uniform in his photo.

Edited by bbo (01/01/13 03:11 PM)
Edit Reason: Bouton uniform comment

#2014240 - 01/01/13 03:08 PM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: cammb]
bbo
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: cammb
I believe you guys shared the answers before hand.

Nope. Just good at sports trivia that matters.

#2014241 - 01/01/13 03:08 PM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: bbo]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Man you guys are good on Baseball History/Trivia!
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2014262 - 01/01/13 03:47 PM Re: World Series sets-show 'em if ya got 'em [Re: bbo]
trex
addict

Too much welcoming in the new year. You know better.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.