Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2014507 - 01/06/13 11:28 AM Does SGC pregrade cards as a service?
oneofthree67
old hand

Loc: CT

I have been debating on sending in vending quality cards, but don't wish to pay $5.00 per card in the 70's if they are not up to a grade 9 condition standard. Does SGC offer, a say $2.50 pregrade screening service?

This would be a good service to offer... At least you would get a number grade on your card saver for half price vs paying the full amount for a graded card... Sometimes card lower in grade sell better ungraded.

#2014524 - 01/06/13 04:55 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: oneofthree67]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Originally Posted By: oneofthree67
I have been debating on sending in vending quality cards, but don't wish to pay $5.00 per card in the 70's if they are not up to a grade 9 condition standard. Does SGC offer, a say $2.50 pregrade screening service?

This would be a good service to offer... At least you would get a number grade on your card saver for half price vs paying the full amount for a graded card... Sometimes card lower in grade sell better ungraded.

Never seen public pricing and I am sure you would have to do it in bulk, but not out of the question to pay $X for the screening and then another $X if it makes the minimum grade and just get the cards sent back that don't meet the minimum. That would be a phone conversation I would assume.

#2014526 - 01/06/13 05:05 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: oneofthree67]
SMtJoy
veteran

While I can see why a service like this would get used I'm not sure it would make sense for SGC to offer it. Granted if they did something like this I think the pricing would need to be something like $4 to pregrade and add $2 if you then want any slabbed or you would be cannibalizing your normal subs. The other thing would be to set a very high card limit like 200 cards or so then you might lower the price a little but I dont think for half priced would ever work.

Not sure if anyone else has been watching PSA specials but grading prices are going up, their cheapest tallboy special over 4 months has only been $8 (compared to $5.5-6 over the prior 3 years)and Supersize has been $14 (vs low of $8 two years ago). Get ready because I bet we are going to see a overall rise in them.

Edited by SMtJoy (01/06/13 05:08 PM)

#2014530 - 01/06/13 05:58 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: SMtJoy]
FYS

Originally Posted By: SMtJoy
While I can see why a service like this would get used I'm not sure it would make sense for SGC to offer it. Granted if they did something like this I think the pricing would need to be something like $4 to pregrade and add $2 if you then want any slabbed or you would be cannibalizing your normal subs. The other thing would be to set a very high card limit like 200 cards or so then you might lower the price a little but I dont think for half priced would ever work.

Not sure if anyone else has been watching PSA specials but grading prices are going up, their cheapest tallboy special over 4 months has only been $8 (compared to $5.5-6 over the prior 3 years)and Supersize has been $14 (vs low of $8 two years ago). Get ready because I bet we are going to see a overall rise in them.

It makes sense for SGC in the common/minor card modern or relatively modern realm i.e. business development plan. Just imagine the amount of garbage card submissions PSA gets for common/minor star cards. I don't think SGC gets much of this business at all. Increasing their pricing for junk cards or being inflexible isn't going to ever change that. With the drops is PSA 9 & 10 prices for many common/minor star cards from 4SC over-saturation, a potential to take a bite out of this.

#2014534 - 01/06/13 06:29 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: SMtJoy]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Granted if they did something like this I think the pricing would need to be something like $4 to pregrade and add $2 if you then want any slabbed or you would be cannibalizing your normal subs.

I think it should be just the opposite - $2.50 pre-screen and $5.00 encapsulation if it meets the minimum requested grade. The evaluation (call it pre-screen or whatever) is pretty quick and doesn't take any more/less time than any type of service level. The extra time/cost/liability would come from the slabbing process for those that met the minimum requested grade, and that's why that part of it should cost more. I have many nice raw '60s commons that I would send if they offered this type of service.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2014538 - 01/06/13 06:50 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
FYS

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy
Granted if they did something like this I think the pricing would need to be something like $4 to pregrade and add $2 if you then want any slabbed or you would be cannibalizing your normal subs.

I think it should be just the opposite - $2.50 pre-screen and $5.00 encapsulation if it meets the minimum requested grade. The evaluation (call it pre-screen or whatever) is pretty quick and doesn't take any more/less time than any type of service level. The extra time/cost/liability would come from the slabbing process for those that met the minimum requested grade, and that's why that part of it should cost more. I have many nice raw '60s commons that I would send if they offered this type of service.

You are right. They have to pay the grader and some admin to do the pre-screen and obviously cover these costs. The additional costs are doing the slabbing, double checking the grade, making the labels, more admin to put in the system etc. So the pre-screen is cheaper. So, the pre-screen should be cheaper than the slab. It doesn't make sense for them to do this with high dollar cards or pre-World War II cards as they are plenty strong in these areas. However, post war commons that many times go to PSA would make a ton of sense for them if done with some volume.

#2014539 - 01/06/13 07:11 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: FYS]
vintagetoppsguy
veteran

Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Originally Posted By: FYS
However, post war commons that many times go to PSA would make a ton of sense for them if done with some volume.

Exactly, which would in turn increase SGC registry participation.

BUYING Well Centered:
1956 Topps SGC 84 or Better (or raw equivalent)
1965 Topps SGC 88 or Better (or raw equivalent)

#2014540 - 01/06/13 07:31 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: vintagetoppsguy]
FYS

Originally Posted By: vintagetoppsguy
 Originally Posted By: FYS
However, post war commons that many times go to PSA would make a ton of sense for them if done with some volume.

Exactly, which would in turn increase SGC registry participation.

Or at least submissions. They have the best registry from the pictures/scans standpoint, but the things sucks from a selection standpoint.

#2014542 - 01/06/13 09:31 PM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: FYS]
SMtJoy
veteran

lol you all are looking at it from a strictly expense side not SGC's. While it might be cheaper in cost to pre screen, the real value they provide is in the grading, not the slabbing. That is how they make their money as I said above I think grading fees are going up in the future as PSA already is doing and I just dont see them doing something like this unless it can make them more profit per card. From what I have heard they had their best year in 4-5 years so im betting they keep going in the same direction.

I really think the registry participation has more to do with the registry itself and how the market it, which are both very lacking but I know thats on the top of their to do's for 2013 and I cant wait to hear and see what they have planned. I am excited enough I am considering flying out there within the next month just to met everyone and hear more on whats coming up (as well as I have a bulk sub to submit).

#2014547 - 01/07/13 05:41 AM Re: Does SGC pregrade cards as a service? [Re: SMtJoy]
FYS

lol you all are looking at it from a strictly expense side not SGC's. While it might be cheaper in cost to pre screen, the real value they provide is in the grading, not the slabbing. That is how they make their money as I said above I think grading fees are going up in the future as PSA already is doing and I just dont see them doing something like this unless it can make them more profit per card. From what I have heard they had their best year in 4-5 years so im betting they keep going in the same direction.

I really think the registry participation has more to do with the registry itself and how the market it, which are both very lacking but I know thats on the top of their to do's for 2013 and I cant wait to hear and see what they have planned. I am excited enough I am considering flying out there within the next month just to met everyone and hear more on whats coming up (as well as I have a bulk sub to submit).

You are not looking at it from a business perspective. How can you be creative to drum up business in low volume areas making sure to cover expenses and not undermine the profit in core areas. Whatever value they have, if it is not utilized in some areas (i.e. commons and other junk) it does not exist, so what are you going to do to change the game.

Great news on them having a good year. Even more interested in their plans. Personally, I have a bunch of cards that need submission and for the first time in years was thinking about splitting them up. Have not heard much of anything about SGC after Spense partial purchase and Sean, Brian and Michael departure. Some news would be good, along with board participation.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.