Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#2015358 - 01/29/13 05:24 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: SMtJoy]
K-Nole
enthusiast

Loc: Topeka, Ks

Originally Posted By: SMtJoy
Thats an awesome Knabe, E102's are a super tough set, that card would look great graded! That's the type of card in my wheelhouse, love low grade presentable vintage!

Nice work on the scans guys, always love to see more cards posted as that's why we are here!

Heres my only E102, very happy to have it-

Joy, that Matthewson is FREAKING AWSOME!!!!

#2015359 - 01/29/13 05:25 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: K-Nole]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

I second that............I love those T-cards..
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2015361 - 01/29/13 05:53 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: BigRedOne
SMTjoy Nice Matthewson! And a nice scan as well! Job well done!

K-Nole

Wow! you didn't waste no time getting a scanner!
May I ask what kind of scanner you got?

You seem to even pick up the scanning process pretty quickly.

Like Jim and Rob said keep playing around to find the settings that work best for you.

I think you will find that being able to scan and post your cards will open up a whole new world of card collecting. It can also become very addicting, but its a lot of fun as well.

Jim, your to kind with your words.

If it helps ya any K-Nole here is what I do. Its really not that hard.

#1 KEEP YOUR SCANNER BED CLEAN. Very Important.

#2 Scan at 300 to 350 DPI (I do 300 its faster)

#3 Open your scan in your scanning software or other Photo editor (Paintshop Pro, Photoshop, etc)
Im using old software from a Cannon Scanner to edit with.

#4 Crop your scanned card.

#5 Click "view actual size" (it should be a pretty big pic. (Very important to be viewing at "actual size")

#6 click "Imagine Size" or "Edit Image Size" and reduce to 400-500 dpi. I usually do 400 If you start getty to much bigger the card becomes to big to see in it's entirity on the message boards.

#7 You can "sharpen" just a bit or play with other settings. Don't over do it trying to adjust color and all that stuff. Usually a light sharpen is all that is needed.

#8 Save your image to a folder in "My Pictures"

#9 Don't forget to "delete" the original scan in order to save hard drive space.

#10 Upload your scan to your Photobucket account.

#11 Post many photos of your cards here on the boards for all to enjoy!

Here is a card I did using the setting described above.

John

K-Nole, there's step by step from the real expert. Probably the most important step to me is number 1, KEEP THE SCANNER BED CLEAN. I clean mine before every scanning session. If I'm doing multiple scans, I clean it between every scan, OCD kicking in. If I'm scanning graded cards I'll dust them off prior to scanning. It's a real distraction to me to have a piece of lint on a scan. I've been known to redo a full scanner bed because of one or two pieces of lint I missed in pre-scan.

I do play around some with the photo editor, but usually come back to just a small amount of sharpening, as John said. Have fun, and yes it can become very addicting.

#2015362 - 01/29/13 07:14 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: trex]
BigRedOne
old hand

There you go K-Nole!

Jim(trex) is pretty modest. Don't let him fool ya,
He is an expert scanner himself and makes another good point that I failed to mention.

Cleaning the Graded card slabs as well before scanning.

Like Jim said, it's fun to play around with the settings but it usually does come back to just a small amount of sharpening.

The area I like working with is Framing and custom borders to really highlight the cards and make them like works of art.

Currently Framing my 72 Sunoco Set.

as well as adding informational text

To even my own cyber graded cards!

I really enjoy scanning and being able to display my cards this way more than any other aspect of the hobby. It really has opened up a whole new way to view one's collection.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (01/29/13 07:17 AM)

#2015363 - 01/29/13 08:32 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: BigRedOne]
K-Nole
enthusiast

Loc: Topeka, Ks

What I am finding is that, I hate scanners!

BECAUSE THEY SHOW ALL THE FLAWS IN THE CARD I CAN'T SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE :-)

Yes, very addictive. Also, I will have a bottle of Windex setting right beside the scanner.

#2015365 - 01/29/13 09:38 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: K-Nole]
trex
addict

Originally Posted By: K-Nole
What I am finding is that, I hate scanners!

BECAUSE THEY SHOW ALL THE FLAWS IN THE CARD I CAN'T SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE :-)

Yes, very addictive. Also, I will have a bottle of Windex setting right beside the scanner.

Whoa cowboy. Don't spray your scanner bed. and don't use a paper towel to wipe it down. If you have to clean your scanner bed, very lightly spray a very soft, clean cloth rag. You shouldn't have to do this real often. You will get finger prints/smudges from time to time that will require wiping down. Otherwise, just use these Swiffer dusters for the scanner bed and cards in holders. All you're wanting to do is get the lint/dust off, until like I said you get a lot of finger/thumb smudges. Eventually you figure out how to do a scan without your fingers ever touching the scanner bed.

Here's a couple of more tips. In your scanner software, make sure you're scanning at 48-bit color in addition to 300-350 dpi.
Also try the following settings:

Unsharp Mask...set to high. This will actually sharpen your scan.

Descreening...set to general

Dust Removal...set to medium. If you set it much higher than this the letters on your holder and all will start washing out.

These settings should improve your scan prior to any photo-editing, and in most cases will eliminate the need for much editing other than a small amount of sharpening. Then prepare to have a lot of fun. What John has done to that Lenny Dawson card is the kind of stuff I enjoy doing. And the fun you can have with your scans on different websites, or your own if you have one. The cards tell a story, there's a lot of history there, now you're able to add to that story with your own. It's addictive, but it opens up a whole new realm to your collecting. A heck of a lot of fun too. Yep, they do highlight the flaws though.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.