Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2015265 - 01/26/13 07:38 PM Question about How Cards are Graded
K-Nole
enthusiast

Loc: Topeka, Ks

New to this whole "Graded" thing, so please excuse me...

Tonight I went to "Vintage Stock". I dont know if they have these in your neighborhood, but this place is mostly used video games, Movies, CD's and that sort of thing. However this on also has sports cards and as sad as it sounds, they have better stuff then ANY card shops in my town.

Anyways, I picked up a 1961 Topps George Blanda. Now my question is this, this card is absolutely GREAT!! the only two issues are the bottom left corner is a VERY tiny bit dinged, almost un noticeable unless you look hard and are "looking" for a problem. Even on the back, in the more noticeable blue background, it is not noticeable.
OK, but the other problem is this, the black outline on the front, on the left side, it has a printing "error" where the ink fades, instead of a sharp Straight line. My question is, does this count off on the grading?
I know stupid question, but the reason I ask is that I looked on Ebay and I see this card in way worse shape, and they rate them "NM", but this is the print, not corners/edges.

BTW, I bought a 77 Largent Rookie in ABSOLUTE MINT!! Not graded, but this card is AWESOME!!! Corners are perfect, edges are great, and has PERFECT Centering.

Here is the thing thou, I think somebody was switching card holders because I got BOTH cards for $1 each. For a 1961 George Blanda & 1977 Steve Largent, both gradable, my total was $2.18!!

#2015266 - 01/26/13 07:50 PM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: K-Nole]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Holy gym socks batman!!! Brother you got a great deal on those cards!
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2015267 - 01/26/13 07:50 PM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: Blackie]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Lets see some pics
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2015268 - 01/26/13 07:51 PM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: K-Nole]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Originally Posted By: K-Nole
New to this whole "Graded" thing, so please excuse me...

Tonight I went to "Vintage Stock". I dont know if they have these in your neighborhood, but this place is mostly used video games, Movies, CD's and that sort of thing. However this on also has sports cards and as sad as it sounds, they have better stuff then ANY card shops in my town.

Anyways, I picked up a 1961 Topps George Blanda. Now my question is this, this card is absolutely GREAT!! the only two issues are the bottom left corner is a VERY tiny bit dinged, almost un noticeable unless you look hard and are "looking" for a problem. Even on the back, in the more noticeable blue background, it is not noticeable.
OK, but the other problem is this, the black outline on the front, on the left side, it has a printing "error" where the ink fades, instead of a sharp Straight line. My question is, does this count off on the grading?
I know stupid question, but the reason I ask is that I looked on Ebay and I see this card in way worse shape, and they rate them "NM", but this is the print, not corners/edges.

BTW, I bought a 77 Largent Rookie in ABSOLUTE MINT!! Not graded, but this card is AWESOME!!! Corners are perfect, edges are great, and has PERFECT Centering.

Here is the thing thou, I think somebody was switching card holders because I got BOTH cards for $1 each. For a 1961 George Blanda & 1977 Steve Largent, both gradable, my total was $2.18!!

Scan and post them to get feedback. BBO has a sharp grading eye with scans. Personally, I have not been hammered that hard for minor line fading.

#2015269 - 01/26/13 07:59 PM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: FYS]
K-Nole
enthusiast

How do I scan? Sorry, I am computer idiot!
I have a copy machine at work, can I just put them on that and scan it to my desktop?

#2015272 - 01/27/13 12:24 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: K-Nole]
BigRedOne
old hand

K-Nole, K-Nole, K-Nole..... A scanner is really the only way to go. A quaility scanner can be had for 50-60 bucks these days.

As for the grading questions, Even with all the inconsistancies involved with these grading companies, its safe to assume they will down grade noticable print flaws depending on the severity.

Its hard enough sometimes assessing a card from a good quality scan and virtually impossible from just a description.

There are hoards of idiots with cards on ebay that should not even be allowed the sell. Evereything is NM or Mint to them.

With Raw cards on ebay my rule of thumb is that they are ALL overgraded by at least one grade.
There are a few respectable sellers on ebay I'll deal with but most are morons out to try and make a quick buck.

This is also why the Third Party Graders thrive in the hobby. Even with all their faults and inconsistancies at least you know kind of where you stand with the quailty of stated grades.

Another thing is What I like to call "The 1st Person Effect" This is the failure of most people's ability to stay totally objective when grading a card, simply because they own it. They often see it through "Rose Colored Glasses". I think we have all fallen prey to it at least once.

Now..... The 77 Steve Largent Rookie? That card is Notorious for its difficult centering. My first thought when I see perfect centering on a Raw Steve Largent Rookie... Is it Trimmed?

Second, Are you positive your not fallening prey to the "1stPerson Effect" ?

Many who have never subbmitted cards for grading often become surprised and disappointed uopn recieving lower grades than they initially thought they would recieve. I don't think they realized the cards would be scrutinized under magification.

Again, Without a quality scan its really not possible to even have a chance at making objective call on the card.

Which brings me back to point #1 A scanner is really the only way to go! LOL

For $1 it's already an Win-Win for ya.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (01/27/13 02:01 PM)

#2015279 - 01/27/13 05:47 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: BigRedOne]
K-Nole
enthusiast

I know Right!!!!

I buy lots off EBAY to for my sets and some are rated EX-NM. Out of the 6-7 "EX-NM" lots, there has only been one (1976 Topps Football) that the entire lot was NM IMO.

Since I am too cheap to buy a printer (I would rather buy cards with my money right now :-) ), I will scan them at work, then see if I can put them on here.

AFA the Largent, you hit the nail on the head, the one I already had, and in my set, is off center.

#2015286 - 01/27/13 07:02 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: K-Nole]
KRB
enthusiast

For that price...buy buy buy EVERYTHING in the store!!!!!

Find me some Mantles for 1 buck....you can be my friend.
also looking for 52 #311 A variation mantle
ROOKIE CARDS baseball & football.

#2015292 - 01/27/13 10:27 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: KRB]
K-Nole
enthusiast

Somebody HAD to of switched holders w/price tags, and if I had my son with me at the time, I would have told the Mgr.

But, I was by myself and had that "WHAT!!! Well, thats what it marked" view.

I actually feel kinda bad.

#2015293 - 01/27/13 10:39 AM Re: Question about How Cards are Graded [Re: K-Nole]
KRB
enthusiast

if i didnt collect cards, or even know football..I wouldnt known who Largent or Blanda was....
This saying that there are some people that just dont know football.

People are more like remembering Namath, Montana, Elway and stuff
also looking for 52 #311 A variation mantle
ROOKIE CARDS baseball & football.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.