Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2015511 - 02/06/13 06:28 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: BigRedOne]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Very well said John. I was reading a bit on the CU board earlier bout probestein and the superbowl opus that has relisted a few times. Rick never responded back and im sure we know why.

Sad to see this stuff in the hobby.
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2015517 - 02/06/13 06:37 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Rob,

John is absolutely spot-on as usual. Not only do these guy's shill their own auctions for personal gain, they do it to drive up VCP. Which is why I always discount their prices from VCP to get an accurate price of the card. Parasites is actually too nice a word for these jerks.

#2015519 - 02/06/13 06:41 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: trex]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Its pathetic thats for sure. Guys like this make the hobby all about the money. Probably why we have and are loosing so many young collectors. It should be about the fun, beauty of the cards, history of the sport and a proud representation of the freedoms this Country is blessed with. Just my opinion.

#2015521 - 02/06/13 06:46 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: Blackie]
trex
addict

Yeah, it should be, but welcome to the ME generation.

#2015523 - 02/06/13 06:49 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: trex]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Uggh... Yeah i see that

#2015529 - 02/06/13 07:36 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

Guys, Guys!

There are still, plenty of "up right" collectors in this great hobby and I have absolutely no problem with someone making a profit or what have you. Capitalism is fine.

My problem is with those who are unwilling to take the "Honest Profit" and be content. Those who feel the need to lie, cheat and defraud out of pure greed for the extra "corrupt profit"

As usual no one is willing to hold them accountable as long as the profits are there. Even the very people being frauded seem to be content to continue to allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

Of coarse these are likely the same people that will turn around and reconsign the cards to these same Big consigners and then shill bid the cards again.

Rob, I did see the CU post Probenstein put up about that Super Bowl Opus Book.

How much more openly arrogant can it be. To post a thread trying to pitch a "one of a kind item" that they OBVIOUSLY didn't get the price they wanted as it was shilled and relisted again for the 4th time!
They don't even try to hide the fraud no more!

Its pretty bad when even some of the CU board kool aid drinkers are even starting to call the guy out.

Edited by BigRedOne (02/06/13 07:38 PM)

#2015530 - 02/06/13 07:49 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: BigRedOne]
SMtJoy
veteran

content Online
Lots of truths in this thread, great stuff guys. I sure hope some of the newer posters are paying attention.
#2015531 - 02/06/13 08:15 PM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: BigRedOne]
trex
addict

Nothing wrong with capitalism, what the market will bear is fine. The problem I have is manipulating the price or artificially inflating the price and in turn artificially manipulating supposedly reliable guides which plays into the "corrupt profits" you're talking about.

And you're right, if no one holds them accountable they'll keep up the same practice.

So, yeah, the same people will turn around and reconsign their cards to the same consignors, after they have bought the card themselves, on paper anyway, driving VCP up, the consignor gets his 5%-10%, VCP goes up then he turns around and consigns it again over time, once the price has been manipulated or artificially inflated. Thus one has to use VCP judiciously and weed out the, well let's say clean out the pig pen.

And yeah, there are plenty of of "up right" collectors still out there, but there are more than enough corrupt A holes to make up for the honest ones.

As for as the cu board, they're just calling their own out. For the most part of that group, they were all spawned in the same cesspool.

#2015579 - 02/09/13 06:58 AM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: trex]
royalbrett
Hobbyist

Loc: Mid-Michigan

What about safety bids? But if you are their buddy, they get defended, right?

#2015582 - 02/09/13 08:58 AM Re: Same card...same grade......not same prices....hmmmm [Re: royalbrett]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Shilling is cheating. Period. If you want to put a reserve, put a reserve. If you want to start out at a minimum, set a minimum. But don't bid on your own cards to run up the price. Would you want someone to do that to you?

What's so difficult to understand about this?
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.