Page 177 of 202 « First<175176177178179>Last »
Topic Options
#2016842 - 04/24/13 06:27 AM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: trex]
SMtJoy
veteran

Sweet Walt and love the stories!

Here are a few from my recent sub-

#2016845 - 04/24/13 09:15 AM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: SMtJoy]
K-Nole
enthusiast

Loc: Topeka, Ks

content Online
HUGE Bob Feller fan here!!!
#2016855 - 04/24/13 06:24 PM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: trex]
BigRedOne
old hand

I think you are correct that it was Meredith that made the comment.

Yes, Walt did bang himself up on the rodeo circuit as well.

Was probably one of the last to endorse a Tobacco product(Skoul) in a national advertisment.

A true character Walt was. They just don't make em like this anymore and I think that is a big part of why the modern game has lost a lot of it appeal.

Too many of these disrespectful losers like Terrel Owens and Randy Moss who self proclaim how great they are, without really achiving any kind of greatness in my eyes.

Rule changes that allow you to run uncontested across the middle of the field doesn't make you great.

I bet their mouth and attitude would be singing a different tune had "Night Train Lane"
Jack "assassin" Tatum, Fred "the Hammer" Williamson laid the wood to them a few times coming across the middle like that.
Im thinking Doug Plank or Chuck Cecil would have made either of these two self proclaimed dolts retire from football early on.

Look at those above names. Thats whats missing from the game. Characters and Legendary Nicknames;

Bulldog
Broadway
Roger The Dodger
The Snake
Mean Joe
Tank
Doomsday
Steel Curtain
Mad Dog
Kansas Comet
Tyler Rose
Monsters of the Midway
Fearsome Foursome
Sweetness
Too Tall
Crazy Legs
Slingin Sammy

And of course "Little Puddin" Walt Garrison, who once bit the end of his tongue off and played with a wad of gauze on it.

Yes Im afraid that the days of REAL football are all but gone and a thing of the past that only lives on through our cards and memories.

John

Edited by BigRedOne (04/24/13 06:43 PM)

#2016862 - 04/25/13 05:55 AM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: K-Nole]
trex
addict

I looked it up and it was Meredith who made the quote. Here's the actual deal.

"If it was third down, and you needed four yards, if you'd get the ball to Walt Garrison, he'd get ya five. And if it was third down and ya needed twenty yards, if you'd get the ball to Walt Garrison, by God, he'd get you five."

Yep Walt was a dandy. And imo you are spot on with your analysis, but it's not just football it's all pro sports. These pompous jerks in baseball that stand there and admire their home runs, look at me, look at me, to show the pitcher up I suppose. Then celebrate the feat like it was some monumental ordeal. I'd like to see one of these mealymouthed jerks do that with Gibson or Drysdale. Next time at bat they'd digging the ball out of their butt...and the pitcher wouldn't be tossed from the game...or fined.

Yeah pro sports has changed a lot and not for the better, imho. For all the bad things you can find about Mickey Mantle, I don't think there was one time where he tried to show the pitcher up. As for as I know every home run he hit he put his head down and ran the bases and went back to the dugout without ever looking at the pitcher. No celebration just the game.

In 1956 when Mantle hit the famous tape measure home run that almost cleared Yankee Stadium, missed by roughly 18" hit off the right field facade, he hit the ball off Pedro Ramos of the then Washington Senators. Here's a transcript of an interview Mantle did later in regards to the home run.

"Pedro and I were friends. He used to challenge me to a foot race before games. In one game one of our pitchers, I don't remember who, knocked down one of the Washington players – you could tell it was a knockdown – and Ramos had to knock down one of our players to protect his guys.

"I was leading off the next inning and I didn't even think about the knockdown. Everybody on our bench and everybody on their bench and even some of the fans knew I was gonna get a knockdown, but I didn't even think about it.

"Sure enough, Pedro hit me with his first pitch. It didn't make me mad – he didn't try to hit me in the head or anything, you know, just in the butt – but after the game he came up to me and said, 'Meekie, I'm sorry I have to do that.' I said, 'That's okay. But the next time you do it I'm gonna drag a bunt toward first base and run right up your back.' He said, 'You would really do that?'

"The funny thing about it was that the next time up was the time I almost hit one out of Yankee Stadium. It hit the façade. After the game he came up to me and said, 'I'd rather have you run up my back than to hit one over the roof!'"

Now that was baseball.

#2016864 - 04/25/13 06:19 AM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: trex]
SMtJoy
veteran

Great story Jim!
#2016867 - 04/25/13 06:57 AM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: SMtJoy]
bbo
The Collectinator

Loc: Top of the 1959 Registry

Now that's baseball.
#1 in 1959 Topps. Officially known as Assassin according to stanthemanfan 3/31/2014 and god of minor league basketball according to cammb.

#2016894 - 04/28/13 10:35 AM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: bbo]
Scottgia3

Just picked this up for pretty cheap.....

#2016895 - 04/28/13 10:52 AM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: Scottgia3]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

Nice Mantle
Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2016896 - 04/28/13 02:10 PM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: Blackie]
Scottgia3

Thanks
#2016897 - 04/28/13 02:54 PM Re: Mail Call.....Post Your New Card Pick Ups / PART 2 [Re: Scottgia3]
SMtJoy
veteran

Agree nice Mantle!
Page 177 of 202 « First<175176177178179>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.054 seconds in which 0.037 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.