Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2017856 - 09/15/13 12:21 PM Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern US

I don't typically follow basketball but did in the 1980's into the 90's specifically following Michael Jordan. I have already shown the scan of the card the seller had but here is my scan of one of my dream cards (yeah I don't have the best scanner) that I finally have here In my hands. Don't know why I didn't pick up packs of these cards in 1986 but I was so much more concerned with baseball and football. Since I received this card in the mail a day and a half ago I can't stop looking at it. I feel so very blessed to have this card and just want to share it again.

Upgrades to 65Topps Football

#2017862 - 09/16/13 03:27 AM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

Very Nice Rob!

An iconic card it is!

John

#2017863 - 09/16/13 06:07 AM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: BigRedOne]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks John............I love this card brother. Wish it wasn't so expensive though. I have never paid that much for an 80's card in my life...lol

#2017864 - 09/16/13 08:05 AM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: Blackie]
BigRedOne
old hand

I hear ya Rob! It's ashame the greed and corruption the "Investor/speculator collector" have brang to the hobby. With TPGing parasiting off them as well its no small wonder that the truly passionate common true collectors are often priced out of the hobby.

Ive blowed a lot of money myself over the years. Its not a monetary invest to me.

Someday when the hobby bubble burst and the money grubs move on to parasite the next "Big Investment" we'll have the cards all to ourselves again.

Enjoy the card!

Heres the best I can do in the Michael Jordan Department.

Take care Bro!
John

#2017867 - 09/16/13 11:24 AM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: BigRedOne]
Blackie
Carpal Tunnel

Very nice Hoops cards. Like the pose of Mike leading the assualt

#2017872 - 09/17/13 01:30 PM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: Blackie]
KRB
enthusiast

i bought 1 pack a long ago 86-87 fleer, hoping to get a MJ card. I did send 2 cards in to Beckett, and those were part that got lost in delivery (a checklist and a worthy RC. I still have the rest of the pack/wrapper
also looking for 52 #311 A variation mantle
ROOKIE CARDS baseball & football.

#2017894 - 09/20/13 02:48 PM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: KRB]
Mintacular
old hand

Loc: Pittsburgh

I wish I owned that Jordan, nice pickup

#2018113 - 11/28/13 06:46 AM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: BigRedOne]
K-Nole
enthusiast

Loc: Topeka, Ks

LOVE this post Red!
It is so true. I have never collected for the money as i never sell anything, and I dont even trade much if at all, because I think of each of my cards as my "kid". Every card I buy has a "story". And that is why I really dont care about condition, as long as it doesnt have intentional damage. In fact, really, I WANT a card that has a little dinged up corners, and believe it or not, i LOVE CARDS WITH WAX RESIDUE. To me, it just adds to the place and time of the card. I collect cards for the story. Story of a little boy opening him up and the story of where it was stored, looked, played with. And I LOVE, that after I receive a card, I mentally think, "this is where your (the card's) story ends". "This is where you will live out your life, with these other cards, me and my son".

I just wish everybody thought of them as deeply as us. I go card shows now, thinking I will meet others with my love, but instead, I see dealers selling $30 cards for $100. $60 cards for $200.

The ONE place where I will admit I WILL over pay for a card and I have no problem with doing it, is at a card shop that is SOLELY sports cards, NOT a card shop that sells other things or also sells PokeMan or Bakigon or other game cards. But JUST SPORTS CARDS.
The reason is, they were so huge in my life as a kid. And they are the last remaining strand of our hobby that is out there. I have no problem paying a little more to them, as way of saying "thank you". When I went to Tampa (Largo), I went to a nice little shop that had LOTS, TONS of our old cards. I bought a 61 & 65 Killebrew, and a 71 Carew from him. I think I payed $60 all together. I know, a little steep, but I never felt better about helping a card dealer out.

Anyways gentlemen, Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for keeping our hobby alive!

Originally Posted By: BigRedOne
I hear ya Rob! It's ashame the greed and corruption the "Investor/speculator collector" have brang to the hobby. With TPGing parasiting off them as well its no small wonder that the truly passionate common true collectors are often priced out of the hobby.

Ive blowed a lot of money myself over the years. Its not a monetary invest to me.

Someday when the hobby bubble burst and the money grubs move on to parasite the next "Big Investment" we'll have the cards all to ourselves again.

Enjoy the card!

Heres the best I can do in the Michael Jordan Department.

Take care Bro!
John

#2018119 - 11/30/13 11:13 PM Re: Better scan of the card Ive wanted for so long [Re: K-Nole]
BigRedOne
old hand

Hi Wes

I do admire your admiration for the cards.

Im not against people making some money off of the cards. We all need to help fund our hobby expenses by selling off some cards here and there.

My pet peave is the many that are only involved for the money, those who would otherwise not even be involved with the hobby. Basically hobby parasites.

As a kid I had all of these cards and never thought much about the condition, but as I moved into adulthood I began to see the sheer beauty of the higher grade cards. They began like fine art and I began a quest to seek out a prime example of each and every card from my childhood years.

Its good to know there is still a market for the lower grade cards, but after I started my quest there was no turning back to bent corners and wax stains. Luckily I had acquired many of the cards I needed before the big boom of Third Party grading and Price gouging and Shill bidding.

Even so there are still cards on my wantlist and Im not afraid to pay out good money for them if they are they quality Im looking for.

Unfortunately every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to every common card is a gold mine just because they have it in a TPG slab with a fancy label on it.

True, there are some tougher issues out there that may command a premium, but please, most are not really worth the grading fee and shipping cost and I think many are starting to find this out.

Ive had to resort to breaking lots of these higher grade cards from the slabs and I have no problem doing just that. Is it costing me more? Well Yea, But as long as I find them at a reasonable price its no big deal.

There was a "Goober" on ebay that had a 73 Topps Leroy Jordan card, PSA 9. A nice one no doubt.
So he's got it on ebay for an absolute insaine price of $200!. No doubt he's fishing for one of those PSA set registry guys with more money than brains. I'll see how long in sits on my Ebay "Watch List" and make a fair offer after if sits for awhile. Of coarse I'll break it from the slab.

Nice talking to ya
John

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.