Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#205587 - 09/01/03 02:57 PM SGC Guarantee
wrigleyfield
Collector is an understatement.

This may be a stupid question, but what does the SGC 100% grading guarantee mean? I have never understood how the guarantee works and under what situations SGC would "make good" on its guarantee. It seems like any grading issues would be resolved through the regrade service (review of an SGC graded card).

A specific explanation (including the use of an example) from SGC would be helpful.

#205588 - 09/01/03 03:10 PM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: wrigleyfield]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Excellent question WrigleyField, I've often wondered the same thing.
#205589 - 09/01/03 05:21 PM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: srs1a]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Gentlemen

My understanding is such. For example, you receive a card back from SGC graded as an SGC 96 and, being an honest and law abiding citizen, you realize it's badly overgraded and send it back to SGC for review.

Upon receipt of the card, SGC acknowledges that a rouge PSA grader is indeed loose in their shop and your card should have been graded as an SGC 88.

At this point, SGC will issue you a check for the difference in market value between the SGC 88 and SGC 96 card. I've spoken to folks that have been compensated in such a manner. I don't believe the check is handed to you on the spot as it were but you do indeed get one.

Ron

#205590 - 09/01/03 05:22 PM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: njdolphins]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

And yes that should have been a rogue PSA grader and not one shaded red.

#205591 - 09/01/03 05:37 PM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: njdolphins]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

My only comment would be that a check would not be handed on the
spot. My guess is that it would take six weeks or so.

aconte

#205592 - 09/02/03 11:23 AM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: wrigleyfield]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I've understood the guarantee is that if the card in question is anything other than the grade, SGC will reimburse the market value of the card. Ex. If a trimmed or counterfeit card made it into an SGC holder and that card was sold, SGC would compensate the damaged party for market value of card NOT the purchase price.
Arguing whetehr a card should be a 96 vs a 92 is not what the guarantee applies to.
Hopefully Sean can jump in and give us the official verdict.

#205593 - 09/02/03 04:50 PM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: njdolphins]
wrigleyfield
Collector is an understatement.

Ron,

thanks for the information.

Joe

#205594 - 09/15/03 07:15 PM SGC Guarantee [Re: wrigleyfield]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

The card industry's First Written Guarantee

SGC guarantees that all cards submitted shall be graded by SGC grading experts in accordance with SGC grading procedures. In the event the original submitter of an SGC card believes that the card has been overgraded with respect to such procedures, the original submitter may resubmit that card to SGC for a review of the assigned grade. THIS RESUBMISSION MUST BE REQUESTED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT FROM SGC.

If the grade determined under such review is lower than that originally assigned to the card, SGC shall, at SGC's option, either replace the card or pay the difference between the current fair market value of the card at the newly established grade and the current fair market value of the grade originally assigned to such card. Due to the volatile nature of the sportscard market and Internet auctions/sales, the selling prices in these auctions do not necessarily represent the current fair market value of any particular sportscard. SGC will determine the current fair market value of a card which is assigned a lower grade on review, based upon what SGC believes to be reliable current market information. Clerical errors with respect to the description or grade of the card(s) which would be obvious upon inspection shall not be subject to the SGC guarantee stated herein

#205595 - 10/15/03 06:20 AM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: vayank]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Michael,

Care to explain to all of us the "ins and outs" of the SGC Guarantee...since you are their largest submitter...you should probably be able to educate us?

John

#205596 - 10/15/03 07:24 AM Re: SGC Guarantee [Re: Basilone]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Loc: NJ

John (Basilone),

Any questions about SGC, our Guarantee, or our policies, etc should be directed to me or an SGC staff member. I feel the Guarantee, if read thoroughly, is self explanatory. Once you have read it and you are still not clear, please contact me directly 800-742-9212 and I will answer any questions you might have.

Regards,
Sean Skeffington, VP SGC

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.