Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#211969 - 09/11/03 05:37 AM Disenchantment with PSA
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

This is my first post on the SGC Boards. I hope to be able to add my thoughts to posts from time to time.
As a way of introducing myself, I believe I am the largest owner of psa-graded cards in the country(colse to 20,000) and am attempting to build over 100 vintage pre-war and post-war sets in baseball, football, basketball and hockey in psa 8 or better. Some 80% of my collection is baseball. Most cards(over 15,000) I have submitted myself--the others I have bought from a variety of psa dealers. I also try to upgrade any card that comes back from psa in less than a 8.
I have recently become quite disenchanted with PSA and after being a regular poster on their message boards for the past 18 months, have made the decision to stop posting.
Below is a brief summary of some of my views. I could go into any of these in more detail in the future.
1)The PSA president has to be the most customer unfriendly person I have ever seen running a company. My job is to analyze different companies in different businesses and I spend a lot of my time talking with senior managements. Because I am a large customer, I asked him to do certain favors for me--more clerical things--nothing like reexamine a card. Not only was I rudely turned down but then I was insulted. I have shown his comments to other substantial collectors I know and they were stunned. Maybe spending close to $100,000 on grading fees does not make me their biggest customer but I was appalled.
2)The trial balloon that PSA sent out about half grades was a slap in the face to their longstanding customers. Only because it was leaked that they were asking dealers about it, did they admit it. If it was not for the nearly unanimous outcry on the message boards it almost certainly would have happened. I think the president of PSA knew this(how could he have not) but was pressured by management of Collectors Universe to do this
3)I am losing a little confidence in Psa 's grading. Certain vintage cards I see in holders sold by certain dealers look suspicious to me. All I am suggesting is that certain dealers will continue to submit high-end trimmed cards until they grade.
4)The pricing of vintage sportscards in SMR is rapidly becoming irrelevant. The amazing thing is when this is pointed out to the president he defends it and says e-mail suggested changes. He actually wants the collectors to do his price guide. When I point out that he should take the responsibility for putting out a publication with accurate prices he gets angry and defensive. It is obvious he is paying no attention to ebay or even major auctions.
5)Making membership manmdatory and charging you before you can submit cards is not a good business decision.
6)There are not many individuals withy a broad knowledge of vintage cards of PSA's Message Boards. To many, vintage means 1970 Kellogg. There are collectors with detailed knowledge about a specific set in the 1960s or 1970s and there a couple of pretty witty guys but it is not very informative if your interest ins vintage cards. With Greg banned and Mike Schmidt off to business school, it has continued to deteriorate.
7)I have no intention at this time of converting my collection to SGC or GAI--too costly and it is not clear at this point how all this will play out. However, I am very worried about PSA and I know I am not the only one.

Davalillo

#211970 - 09/11/03 05:56 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: Davalillo1]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Davalillo,

Welcome to these boards. I've read many of your posts and seen your
sets on the Psa Registry. It is an awesome collection of high end
cards. Sorry to hear things have gone bad with Psa and you.

While I have limited knowledge of many
pre-war/vintage issues, there are a few here that can help (botn + Mw1
for example). And although this board is not as active as the Psa
board, it still provides for a good source of information and access
to a number of cards, facts, and latest hobby news.

Good Luck and Happy Collecting!

aconte

#211971 - 09/11/03 07:58 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: aconte]
DaBoys
Learning the Ropes

Interesting..............................
#211972 - 09/11/03 09:03 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: DaBoys]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Dav...welcome to the boards. I wouldn't get too hung up on the term "vintage" when referring to a 1970 Kellogg's issue. It's just a issue of semantics IMO. A 1970s Kellogg's is vintage when compared to a 2003 Upper Deck card, but at the same time, it is nowhere near a vintage when compared to a pre-war or tobacco cards. Yes, your're right, the pre-war and tobacco are the true "vintage" cards, but sometimes I am guilty (catch myself saying) vintage when referring to my 60s or 70s hockey collection.

I fully understand your point of view with PSA. After the amount of business you have given them, I would expect a few perks/courtesies myself (just as long as it has nothing to do with Grading integrity that would be unethical).

I was a former PSA customer who switched to GAI...partly due to the membership requirement. I always used the e-bay submission form. But the main reason was that I am a real stickler on centering and I feel GAI is the most stringent on this issue, so they work good for me. Honestly, cost was another factor as well. I am also pleased with SGC's grading consistency and friendliness, I just feel they are a little too lenient on the centering.

I any case I hope to hear more from you soon.

Sincerely,
John

#211973 - 09/11/03 09:28 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: grilloj39]
remo
Collector

Loc: washington state

Davalillo, welcome to the board i have read many of your posts on psa board very insightful and hope that you post here often welcome aboard!!!!!

#211974 - 09/11/03 10:08 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: remo]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Dav

Welcome to the SGC boards. Sad to hear about the treatment you have received given the level of support you showed the PSA organization. I've had nothing but good things to say about SGC services levels. They try their hardest to meet ESTIMATED dates for card shipments and are not at all unwilling to provide little extras that are within their power.

Good luck with the continuence of your collection!

Regards

Ron

#211975 - 09/11/03 10:13 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: remo]
buttermarc
Collector

Loc: NYC

Davalillo:

I am at least heartened that your post indicates that you still love the hobby -- and that you have a problem with only one particular aspect of it. PSA seems to have recently found itself in the position that it was a few years ago -- whereby there are more hard questions than answers, and customer service is largely lacking. I think that Charlie's departure from PSA, from a purely customer service standpoint, truly hurt PSA, as there was insufficient talent to step into his role.

I still want to talk with you at greater length at some point to understand what exactly has happened in your situation. In an industry that has so many dedicated hobbyists behind it (many of whom spend substantial sums of money without looking for an ROI), I think PSA has alienated quite a few people lately. Unfrotunately, with what would seem like a natural opportunity for a competitor to stand up, few have stepped up to fill PSA's role. GAI has been in the hobby now for nearly two years I believe. They have largely failed to amass (m)any significant collecting support, and their sole strengths at this point seem to be a) the pack grading and b) old relationships with Baker and Rocchi.

I have seen numerous consistency issues with all the major grading companies, PSA included. As a collector, it places many additional constraints upon me to actually buy a card anymore. I do not trust raw cards unless I can touch, feel, measure and smell them. And, unfortunately, I cannot trust many graded cards anymore solely on the basis of their grade. Not only is there a decided lack of consistency between grading companies, but there often seems to be significant grading inconsistency within grading companies on similar cards graded at similar times.

My best wishes,
ButterMarc (aka mikeschmidt)

#211976 - 09/11/03 11:35 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: Davalillo1]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Welcome to the SGC boards!!

Quote:

I believe I am the largest owner of psa-graded cards in the country(colse to 20,000) and am attempting to build over 100 vintage pre-war and post-war sets in baseball, football, basketball and hockey in psa 8 or better

Management of 20K cards and 100 sets sounds like a full time job to me. Hat's off.

Are all your cards PSA-graded?

What set/sport do you think will be your first to be SGC-graded?

#211977 - 09/11/03 11:57 AM Re: Disenchantment with PSA [Re: buttermarc]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

buttermarc...as a customer of GAI, I do not know what more I can ask of them. I am not a big time dealer, just a collector. I pay the lowest prices available, simple submission forms, friendly staff, great communications on the status of my invoices, and most of all accurate grading in my opinion. many posts (especially on the other board) seem to imply GAI is just for the big time dealer. what relationships Mike and Steve have with dealers is none of my concern. I care about my relationship with them and my cards being graded and of course the pay I pay.

#211978 - 09/11/03 12:36 PM BOTN = MyBigToe [Re: Davalillo1]
gumball
Hobbyist

Quote:

With Greg banned

Zarduh51 told me BOTN is now posting anonymously as MyBigToe on the PSA message board.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.