Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#226970 - 10/04/03 10:40 AM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: dbj77]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Quote:

... I can spend more money on cards [rather] than wasting it away on inconsistent and overpriced grading.

Hm-m-m ... sounds like you've been a PSA customer for quite some time !!!

Ah c'mon ... I'm just joking ...

#226971 - 10/04/03 07:16 PM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: deadlyembrace]
dbj77
Hobbyist

Deadly,
You're correct, most of my disgust comes from PSA, however I have some terribly overgraded SGC cards. I have a 1997 Tiger Woods GSV card that is an 88 that should be graded way lower, chipped borders and dinged corners(which are common to this issue with it's black borders). I also have several 1978 Topps Detroit Tigers rookies in SGC that are so off center it amazes me they were graded in the 90's.

I just don't need a third party to grade for me anymore, just authenticate or maybe detect some tiny doctorization. Recently I had a batch of 1985 Nike cards come back from PSA as counterfeit. I'm glad they caught them and now I'm in the process of getting a refund from the seller I bought them from. I find I enjoy cards more raw.

Edited by dbj77 (10/04/03 07:22 PM)

#226972 - 10/04/03 10:02 PM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: dbj77]
ledsters
Collector is an understatement.

You know I have to agree that having an entire set of Topps cards graded is outrageously bulky and unnecessary. But I can't help it. Once you get started you can't stop. I think I have been fortunate though. Two of my sets are only 15 cards and 41 cards. I think small sets are the way to go if you want to have them all graded. They sure look good in SGC holders. There's no way around it though, with a large set the storage and the grading cost seems like a waste of money. If you were going to sell a large set completely SGC graded there would be no way to recoup the cost of the grading. But I think if you are going to collect and have a large set graded, and save this set as say an heirloom to pass on to your kids or grandkids, then grading is the way to go. I will continue with my sets because in a way I think I'm a little nuts. What your thoughts? And not about me being a little nuts......
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.