Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#226960 - 10/02/03 06:22 AM Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

I wanted to start a thread and ask for opinions on this subject. I have (or in the process of completing) several vintage hockey sets 1960s and below. I now submit to only 1 grading company, but will buy PSA/SGC/GAI and even BVG cards at shows, trades, or off the Internet (e-bay/naxcom). Several of my sets have a mixed batch of PSA, SGC, and GAI cards. I normally will not crossover a card if that grading company has applied an accurate grade in my opinion. If I feel that the card is overgraded/undergraded, I will normally bust the card out of the holder and get a "second opinion."

Do you feel it would lessen the value of a set by approaching set collecting in this manner? (i.e. with a combination of SGC, PSA, and GAI graded cards)? If the old saying "buy the card, not the holder" applies, then it shouldn't matter, yet somehow, I think that having a PSA/GAI/SGC-only set would make it more "marketable" or "profitable" if I chose to sell later down the road (not my intentions). However, I have saved numerous cash already by not submitting hordes and hordes of already-graded cards for crossover, allowing me more funds to buy actual cards and keep my grading expenses to a minimum.

Just interested on how everyone approaches their vintage set collecting. Any comments would be appreciated.

John Grillo

Edited by grilloj39 (10/02/03 06:28 AM)

#226961 - 10/02/03 06:56 AM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: grilloj39]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

grilloj39,

I was in the same boat for my red man sets when I started buying graded
red man's. I had both Psa and Sgc early on. For the most part I converted
most of my collection to Sgc (1952,1954, 1955) and so far kept Psa
(1953) for one set. I found it more visually appealing and better from
a storage standpoint to use the one holder. Plus I prefer Sgc! I think
you need to decide what you like and go with that.

However, to try to answer your question I DO believe that in most cases
when building a set it will allow one to achieve an overall greater $$$
return if the cards in the set are graded by one grading company. I say
this if you are going to try to sell the set complete. This would not
be the case if you broke up the set.

I think you should collect what you want and save the crossover money
until you are serious about selling. There will be a number of questions
and options that you will have when it comes time to selling. The
holder is just one of them.

Good luck and enjoy your collection!

aconte

#226962 - 10/02/03 10:20 AM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: aconte]
nolemmings
Hobbyist

grilloj39,

It's all a matter of what you plan to do with your collection and when. I have a few different 60's football sets that I dabble in, i.e, I can't see finishing them in less than 3 and more likely 5 years. I could accelerate the process, but it would take dollars away from other collecting interests. I seriously have little idea what either the market or the grading industry will look like in that time, but I damn sure know I don't want to spend $7-10 per card just to have it in a particular holder, especially since that money would pay for at least a third of the cost of another common card I needed.

If I were you, I would complete the sets and be prepared to sell them before contemplating whether I would cross them over to one company. I agree with you that crossovers may be appropriate where there is a good chance for a grade bump. I also agree with Aconte that if you break up the set at re-sell time, you gain little by crossing over. But other than the "inconvenience" of having cards in different sized and different looking holders, I don't see any problem with completing the set in mixed form, unless you get some certain sense of satisfaction by being listed on a particular company's registry. I don't, but to each his own.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Todd

#226963 - 10/02/03 10:44 AM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: nolemmings]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Grillo,

I was also in the same boat with my '68T baseball set until about a year ago when I decided to move forward with the set in SGC holders. The reason was simple -- convenience. A 600 card set is a pain in the rear to store -- even in the same type of holder. Multiple holder types make this even worse. The stars were already slabbed but most of the set was raw, so the x-over expense wasn't too brutal.

I've actually gone the other way with my Clemente, Banks and Aaron player sets -- they were mixed (but a vast majority were already PSA) -- now they are all PSA. Again, my reasoning was similar -- easier to keep them in one holder...nothing more.

I'm not sure about the resale question -- but I wouldn't argue with aconte's reasoning.

#226964 - 10/02/03 12:56 PM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: srs1a]
ledsters
Collector is an understatement.

Aesthetically speaking the only way to go is with one consistent holder. I have purchased cards for my set and have crossed them to all SGC holders because they don't look like they belong to the set if they are not in the same holder. I think if you wanted to display the set it would look ackward with different holders.

Ledsters

#226965 - 10/02/03 01:44 PM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: ledsters]
grilloj39

Thanks to everyone for providing their comments...I am not very aesthetically inclined. my wife does all my clothes shopping and complains about me being a "slob." So I guess that I enjoy looking at my sets irregardless of the holder. However, I understand that is does present a more "neater" appearance and the cards do display better in a single holder.

If I ever do decide to sell my sets, I would break the set up and sell the cards individually anyway, and in this case, different holders probably wouldn't have a negative "sell" effect. However, if I am ever to complete a c56 (1910), c55 (1911) hockey set, then I might be better off selling the set as one. But who knows what the card industry will be like 20/30 years from now. Maybe I'll limit the single holder for my sets to my hockey tobacco cards and go from there. Thanks again.

#226966 - 10/02/03 03:03 PM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: grilloj39]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

In your case, you may not want to cross over all those cards, although I would never suggest you don't give SGC business. Cross over is an expensive twist. And you sound like a buy the card, not the holder guy. Of course, this is good advice. We collect cards, not slabs. On the other hand, when you submit directly, you are contracting out for a professional third party opinion. It is not slab you are buying, but expert advice. And if trust your opinion more than any expert third party that you could get, then why go the added expense of grading fees in the first place? Maybe we need a new saying buy the card and then buy the expert opinion you trust most, or buy the slab with the garde from the expert you trust the most... But I am getting off topic....

#226967 - 10/02/03 06:32 PM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: vayank]
grilloj39

vayank...no your're not off topic and you make a great point. Sometimes I wonder why I don't just collect raw in the first place or never submit cards for grading at all. I guess third party opinion would help somewhat if I choose to sell down the road, and I do feel it does "showcase" my collection. As stated earlier, I joke alot about being a slob, but I do like to "show off" my collection from time to time with all my sets in different holders (SGC, PSA, GAI), and the graded storage boxes I use fit all the holders. I am going to build a customized, large display wall mount case for various holders and display much of my cards in my private study.

#226968 - 10/04/03 08:18 AM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: grilloj39]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Dear All

I knew I had bookmarked this mixed set and have finally found the link. Personally, I think the price for the set was quite generous given the grades and the fact that a tough card (#1) was missing. The set consists of cards from SGC, PSA, GAI and BVG

1963 Fleer Set Mainly NM

Ron

#226969 - 10/04/03 10:22 AM Re: Mixed Graded Vintage Set Collections [Re: njdolphins]
dbj77
Hobbyist

Although most of my cards are in PSA holders, my Red Man sets are mixed with SGC because I purchased many of Tony and Brians duplicates which were in SGC holders. I will probably cross the SGC cards to PSA just for uniformity.

Once I complete the sets I have started, however, I'm done with graded cards. I've decided that for me, raw is better. I would rather display a decent raw set in a binder that have all these cumbersome pieces of plastice in boxes. Besides most of my graded cards are mid range anyway, the only graded sets I'm collecting in high grade are 1970 Kelloggs and 1976 Isaly discs. With raw I can spend more money on cards than wasting it away on inconsistent and overpriced grading.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 10 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.