Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#23243 - 11/07/02 04:25 PM Initial observations of the SGC Registry
Anonymous Unregistered

OK. . .here's my initial observations

* The layout of the page is nice and uncluttered. Pretty straightforward.

* In the login/sign-up process, SGC asks for a lot more information than I feel should be necessary. Why must I provide my address and phone number to use the registry? Perhaps I don't trust them enough to keep my information confidential - and not to send me a bunch of junk.

* As others have mentioned, why no mainstream 50s and 60s sets in the initial offering?

* I was able to enter enter cards using Internet Explorer on my Mac. Something I can't do on the other guys' registry. Forced into Netscape on my Mac - or onto my Windows XP box.

* The fact that the registry is not integrated with the certification database - requiring me to enter the grade of my cards - is rather second-rate. Not well thought-out guys!

* The biggest problem. . .you guys mean to tell me I have to add cards one-at-a-friggin-time?!?!?!? The 1979 Topps set has 727 cards if you include both Wills variations!!!! I entered 12 cards and it took me over half an hour!!! This is simply unacceptable!!! I'll make it as plain as I can SGC - if you don't fix this immediately I simply will not enter another card - period!

* The process is unnecessarily confusing because once you've entered the last card, then what? Do you hit "submit"? Can you just close the browser window? What's the deal? It doesn't need to be this hard, really.

I look forward to hearing from other people who have entered cards.

Mike

#23244 - 11/07/02 05:32 PM Re: Initial observations of the SGC Registry
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Mike,
Deep breath...move away from the ledge....

PROS:

1. Love the look of it. Color scheme, graphics, etc.

2. Excited about the "new toy" aspect.

3. CLEAN!

CONS:

1. I don't see myself registering any more cards here if I can only do one every 3-5 minutes. I think PSA's registry is clumsy and slow--it looks like riccochet rabbit compared to this.

2. I don't get the part about inputing the grade myself. Do I type in the cert#, the 3-digit #, and the number 96 on the one line?

3. SLOW.

Mike, it sounds like you are begging for a strong reason to do the 79s with SGC. You must really like the product, cuz you sure don't dig the rest of the package.
I think we need to be patient and positive (unless being constructive) and maybe we'll be rewarded for our faith. The bottom line for me is that if SGC had a comparable market share to PSA, the decision is a no-brainer. I'd like to see SGC go after PSA's sets. That would be fun to watch. Offer the most gaudy cross-over deals imagineable. Something like "You only pay for the plastic"...or $1 for each grade weight...you get the picture. The leaders on the PSA board would think long and hard then...the followers...well, they follow. Voila! Marketshare! PSA sure makes an awful lot of lettuce on those followers.

#23245 - 11/07/02 11:20 PM Re: Initial observations of the SGC Registry [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

I thought it was a good launch, and I like the product more on day one than I thought I would. I see the current web site as a good place to begin that will evolve based, in part at least, on customer feedback. The customer is always right.

#23246 - 11/07/02 11:36 PM Re: Initial observations of the SGC Registry [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

1955 All American Football Set SGC Graded Average grade of 92.

"Olde Tyme" 1894 Football Set. All SGC graded.

Edited by vayank (11/07/02 11:37 PM)

#23247 - 11/08/02 01:08 AM Re: Initial observations of the SGC Registry [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

Phil> It's not so much that I'm begging for a reason to go with SGC. I'm just giving them an honest and open shot at it. That said, I won't do the set in SGC holders without reasons that suit my approach to building a graded set.

Like I told you privately, I'm not planning to start submitting 1979s myself until January. If SGC has not impressed me by then, those 52 SGC96s will most certainly be among that first shipment to Newport Beach.

While my 79 set is 7% complete in SGC holders, I'm also 13% complete in PSA holders. PSA is a known quantity to me, and yet I'm giving SGC an honest chance at getting me to do this set in their holders. If SGC feels my standards are unreasonable or too high, I have no problem with that. I'll simply move on to a company who can meet them.

Mike

#23248 - 11/08/02 01:18 AM Re: Initial observations of the SGC Registry
Anonymous Unregistered

ok, here's my 2 cents. I've been waiting since October for the registry to see what its all about. Thanks for doing a good job guys, it looks great. Let's not be too critical of SGC for any "flaws" that we might find with the system. It is surely to be fine tuned, its only been online for a day! I would like to see more mainstream 50's and 60's sets added, but I'm sure that will come in time. Once again, great job guys!
#23249 - 11/08/02 01:42 AM Re: Initial observations of the SGC Registry
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I won't register anything until the weekend when I'll put a few cards on the
registry. I agree that we should give Sgc a chance to work out any initial
bugs. I think for an intitial launch it's not bad at all. I like the layout and
it is easy on the eyes too!

aconte

#23250 - 11/08/02 02:26 AM Re: Initial observations of the SGC Registry
Anonymous Unregistered

Sorry if I'm less accomodating on this. Being in the computer industry, I feel when a web site "goes live", it should already be well thought-out and well-executed. Tweaks may be required, but there shouldn't be any "flaws".

In the design process, _someone_ should have thought "Gee, entering the cards one-at-a-time is a real hassle." The lightbulb should have gone off that if they integrated the registry into the cert verification database, they could save the customer the step of setting the grade - and cut down on an area of potential user error.

To use "software speak", I think this at about the level of a public beta which still has some reasonably significant user interface issues. Sorry if I'm not ready to issue congratulations yet.

Mike

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.