Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#23478 - 11/08/02 10:07 AM Set Registry Improvements
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Seems to me that SGC has been fairly responsive to bugs and requests for changes. I wonder if someone at SGC is reading our running commentary ... ?

Feedback?

#23479 - 11/08/02 10:33 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
remo
Collector

Loc: washington state

Im am curious how long it will take to get all these set requests imput into the registry it says 72 hours after you register but they only have 15 in and looks like 135 to go so far i think its going to take more than 72 hours they are going to have to speed that up.

#23480 - 11/08/02 11:16 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: remo]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

It was a great launch.

Now SGC needs to connect the cert # with the pop report and price guide even to really integrate all the information they have. Plus, allowing more than one card at a time to be inputted is important.

#23481 - 11/08/02 01:41 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: vayank]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Overall, I'm happy with the registry. I requested the 1968 Topps set to be added - I wonder how long its going to take.

In terms of speed of the system - its slow and somewhat clumsy - but I add about 2 cards a month to my collection - so the 2 - 3 minutes to input a card doesn't seem so bad to me.

Remember, the service is free. SGC is in the business of making money. Its in their best interest to streamline the registry, as best they can, to reduce the amount of manpower needed to maintain the database.

Over the next few weeks - the obvious improvements will be made. Overall, good job by SGC!

#23482 - 11/08/02 02:49 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: stanthemanfan]
Anonymous Unregistered

Stan> "Remember, the service is free. SGC is in the business of making money."

This is true. . .but. . .the easier the registry is to use, the more people will participate. And the harder it is to use, the less likely you are to attract new participants. As we've seen with the other guys' registry, participation should drive submissions. So investing time, money and effort wisely will more than pay off. It's not a case of "well we put it up" and that's enough.

That said, the registry should be promoted in a major way. The Sun-Times show is coming in 2 weeks and is the first major show following the launch of SGC's registry. If I don't see a computer on-hand to demonstrate the registry as well as lots of announcements and promotions, I think it would raise great concern as to how much SGC is willing to promote it. And if SGC isn't willing to promote this thing like crazy, then why bother? It's a marketing tool after all.

Mike

Edited by Beavis (11/08/02 02:53 PM)

#23483 - 11/08/02 04:11 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

I wasn't sure what remo was talking about regarding the CHOOSE list jumping around, not aligning, or disappearing altogether. But I've just completed the initial data entry effort for my 1962 set. Of the 187 cards entered, I was able to indicate GRADE on exactly 2.

Hope SGC doesn't hold it against me.

#23484 - 11/08/02 04:18 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
Anonymous Unregistered

DE> You entered 187 cards one at a time? How long did it take?

Mike

#23485 - 11/08/02 04:33 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hey Mike --

About 2.5 - 3 hours. I was able to cut-n-paste the serial numbers from a report generated out of my home grown system. Manual key entry would have been a killer.

#23486 - 11/08/02 04:57 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
Anonymous Unregistered

For what it's worth, on the other guys' registry it would have taken me less than 5 minutes to enter the 12 1979s that took me over 1/2 hour on SGC's registry.

When I registered my 1975 set on the other registry, I was probably 100 cards in at the time and from what I remember that took me something like 1/2 hour.

I just think SGC's current setup takes an unacceptable amount of time. Perhaps it's because I have certain expectations based on what SGC's competition is doing that makes me feel this way.

Mike

#23487 - 11/08/02 11:37 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

I've been working from my excel spreadsheet, cutting and pasting. I've been averaging one a minute so far.

#23488 - 11/09/02 12:44 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: vayank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hi vayank --

Were you able to enter any GRADES? Seems near impossible to me.

#23489 - 11/09/02 02:15 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

DE > I am inputting the grades easy enough. What problems are you finding?

#23490 - 11/09/02 02:41 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Just inputed my 54 Red man set. I have a few more Psa eights that should
easily cross over to Sgc 88's. I also have about five Psa sevens that I'm not
sure if I'll crossover just yet.

Anyhow, the cards were easy enough for me to enter.

aconte

#23491 - 11/09/02 03:04 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: vayank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Check out the image below. As I scroll up/down on the edit page, the GRADE selection list "jumps around" or disappears altogether. Note that I've blacked out the serial numbers ...

#23492 - 11/09/02 03:59 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Loc: NJ

Good morning everyone. I know from reading the various posts that some of you have questions, concerns, etc about the registry so I thought I would join the discussion to address some your questions directly. We do monitor the boards on a daily basis so please feel free to make suggestions on how we can improve the registry. I would also like to thank everyone for the their participation in the registry. I feel we are off to a great start.

Sean
VP of Operations-SGC

#23493 - 11/09/02 04:31 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: SeanSGC]
Anonymous Unregistered

Sean> Your active participation is a welcome sight and a good sign that SGC really does care about making the registry a success.

Right now I think the biggest improvement that can be made is to integrate the grades into the cert database. This will save the participants time and by taking this out of the user's hands, should cut down on user input errors. Fewer user input errors will also speed SGC's verification time on the back-end.

My biggest criticim is that I have to enter the cards one-at-a-time and hit "add" after each and every entry. Perhaps the server was bogged down with the registry being new, but I'm on a broadband connection and page reloads still took a LONG time. I couldn't imagine doing this over a dialup connection. As I mentioned in a previous post, it took me somewhere between 30-45 minutes to enter only 12 cards. I would guess that 2/3 of that time was spent waiting for the page to reload afer hitting "add" 12 times. I have 40 more that I would like to enter, but will hold off until this has been resolved or until I have a 2 hour block of time to allocate to this.

I would also like to hear how SGC plans to promote the registry so that we can be sure that the current participants aren't the only players in the game.

Regards,
Mike

Edited by Beavis (11/09/02 04:34 AM)

#23494 - 11/09/02 04:53 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Sean -- I think Mike has summed it very well. You punch in your certification number and you should get all your info. I would like to see the cards also tied into the SGC price guide. Good start.

#23495 - 11/09/02 05:39 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Sean,

Glad to see you on the board. I hope you will be able to answer question
and concerns. I really had no problem entering the cards on the registry.
I would say 30 cards or so took 10-15 minutes. The hard part was finding
three of the cards in my home!

I know you can't monitor the board 24/7 but its good to see that we can
get answers and look to possible improvements. Overall, I'm quite happy
though.

aconte

spelling errors...

Edited by aconte (11/10/02 01:46 AM)

#23496 - 11/09/02 06:17 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Thanks for the input guys. I hope to have a "add" or "edit" all function installed this week so you guys do not have update each entry one by one. Also if you have a set that we have not loaded the data for, ie card #, player name, you should hold off on trying to register it. Let us do the work for you, it is much easier for us to add the sets with large numbers of cards. As you can see we are continually adding new sets. We do not have plans to intergrate the registry with the pop report, price guide or the cert. # data base at this time but I will keep you posted if there is a change. As far as promoting the registry, we will be very aggressive. We will run full page ads in SCD and Beckett. Our weekly email will contain info about the registry and we will offer grading specials for registry users. Soon you will see "pop up" windows on our web site containing registry info and grading specials. These are a few of the ideas we are working on currently. If you have anything to add please do so.
#23497 - 11/09/02 08:25 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: SeanSGC]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hi Sean --

... and welcome to the forum.

Overall, I'm pleased with the registry. Screen design is simple and uncluttered. The fact that many of us are registering cards without a lot of HELP screen assistance or other documentation means that SGC's design is straightforward and intuitive. Kudos all around.

I wonder what verification rules (if any) you are using to try to prevent false registration of a card by someone who doesn't own it? Is that the reason a corresponding GRADE is required in addition to the serial number? If GRADE is absolutely required, I would suggest use of a text box (like what is provided for serial number entry) as opposed to a selection list. A mismatched grade/serial num combination is still a mismatch even if it's not a valid (allowed) SGC grade. It would still be the responsibility of the owner to correct the grade before it could be approved by the reviewer.

Of course, if GRADE isn't required for entry ... forget I said any of this.

In either case, the floating and/or disappearing GRADE selection list is my main complaint.

I didn't think the time required for card-by-card data entry was a huge problem ... given that, for any set, it will occur once during initial setup. Thereafter, cards will be added one or two or a handful at a time. Frankly, I enjoyed tinkering with my collection for the (roughtly) 3 hours I spent entering my first set.

Bottom line: keep up the good work.

#23498 - 11/09/02 08:41 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
Anonymous Unregistered

DE> "it will occur once during initial setup. Thereafter, cards will be added one or two or a handful at a time."

Depends on what your submissions are like, I guess
When I submit cards for my set, it tends to be anywhere from 35 to 125 cards at a crack.

Mike

#23499 - 11/09/02 09:37 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

As part of the verification process, we are checking to confirm that the cert # given matches the grade and the actual card. If the cert #, grade, and player do not match we will not include the entry as part of a registered set. If there is an input error with respect to the grade, we will edit and enter the proper grade. As far as preventing someone from entering bogus information, we will do our best to prevent it. Although we will verify every entry of a given set, the bottom line is that the registry to some degree relies on the honor system. Providing cert # of cards that do not belong to you is not in the spirit of fair competion. We will do everything within our power to see that all the registered sets are legitimate
#23500 - 11/09/02 10:02 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: SeanSGC]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

When I registered my 1977 Topps set, the system said there was a 72 hour period for verification. Is that Business days or ?

#23501 - 11/09/02 03:45 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

Just a few comments on my experience with the registry ......

On 11/7 I registered my 1952 Red Man tobacco set and inputted just one card along with its photo. I wanted to see how easy it would be to input the info and the quality of the photo once it was inputted. All went smooothly and the process was pretty straight forward. The very next day the set appeared as registered and the photo looked just great.

That afternoon I went to our safe deposit box and pulled out all 52 cards and took digital photos of each one. That evening I inputted the entire set of 52. Like "aconte", I took me approximately 30 seconds to a minute to input the info for each card. After that I added 2 new photos becasue I still have to "crop" down the photos of the other 50 cards. Again all went smoothly and some additional time was spent to insure I didn't make any typo errors.

I look forward to see how the weighing calculations turn out and encourage more people to add photos to their sets. By Monday evening, I should have the other 50 photos attached. It should only take an hour or so, but I think people will appreciate seeing some of the nice 88s and 92s in the set.

I look forward to SGC promoting their registry and the growth of a very nice product. I am confident that Sean and the others at SGC will follow up in a timely fashion with the needed improvements as mentioned in the previous posts.

I'm sure it was a busy week for our friends at SGC and they should be proud of their successful "kickoff". Keep up the good work!

#23502 - 11/10/02 03:17 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements
Anonymous Unregistered

Just got through uploading 50 pictures into my 1952 Red Man tobacco set. It took approximately 90 to complete the uploads, or a little less than 2 minutes each. This rate is about the same amount of time that it takes me to upload pictures into my eBay auctions. The pictures look great and hopefully people will enjoy looking at them. This part of the registry seems to work fine and is also pretty straight forward.
#23503 - 11/12/02 03:58 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: remo]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hey remo --

In a previous post, didn't you mention that you were having problems with the GRADE selection list "jumping around" or disappearing on the screen?

I'm debugging this issue with the help of some very smart guys at the office (where I work), and have discovered that it's not an SGC problem ... it's our problem. The good news is that it's easily corrected.

Are you running Windows 98? How much memory do you have on your machine? And what version of IE are you running?

Thanks in advance ...

#23504 - 11/12/02 05:16 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
remo
Collector

DE, do you know how to fix it i have milliumn edition of windows not to sure on my memory have to check when i get home at work right now any help would be great thanks.

#23505 - 11/12/02 08:15 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: remo]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

We (here at the office) develop web-based software and ran into the identical problem about a year ago. No one could remember the specific cause (and of course, once the problem was corrected, no one bothered to document it), but the best guesses are amounts of available memory, version of IE and operating system.

I'm able to view the SGC Registry maintenance page correctly here at the office. It's my home PC that has the problem.

As I have the same amounts of memory (home vs. work) and my version of IE at home is more recent than work ... it must be operating system related. I run Windows 98 at home. We have Windows 2000 at the office.

I'll upgrade this weekend and let you know whether the problem has been resolved.

NOTE: that there are other problems inherent with upgrading operating systems, and the decision to upgrade should not be made casually. I'm not sure whether all of my programming software (at home) is compatible with Windows 2000, and I've heard that there can be problems with gaming software.

FYI.

#23506 - 11/15/02 12:18 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: SeanSGC]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hey Sean --

I just noticed that the GRADE selection list (in Edit Mode) has been replaced with a text box. No more moving or disappearing widgets!! Whoo Hoo!!! You da man!!!!

Guess I don't have to experiment with upgrading my OS this weekend.

Keep up the good work.

#23507 - 11/19/02 08:55 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: deadlyembrace]
remo
Collector

Great improvment in the adding cards you can add them all at once now and hit one button much faster ive noticed great improvments since registry came online GREAT JOB SGC!!!!!!!

#23508 - 11/20/02 02:37 PM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: remo]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

I agree, nice improvement SGC. I entered 9 cards from my small, but growing T206 set on 11-19 - didn't take long at all! SGC's response to suggestions and comments scores high with this collector!
#23509 - 11/22/02 12:12 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: chuckster]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

It's time to declare the SGC registry launch an UNQUALIFIED SUCCESS. Creating a registry is probably the most significant project SGC has launched -- ever! Very high profile -- if the launch had flopped, we all would have heard about it. All the planning and patience paid off. Significantly, SGC has rapidly responded to suggestions and problems aired on this Board. Since problems will occur and we SGC collectors will obviously want enhancements in the future, this responsiveness bodes well.

Congratulations!

#23510 - 11/22/02 01:48 AM Re: Set Registry Improvements [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

I'd have to agree. I think the first couple of weeks has been better than expected. They have been very responsive to collector's needs and will continue to be. Sean is a great guy who, like Charlie at PSA, is passionate about satisfied customers...truly unique in the real world. Top-notch job SGC, you've already earned the respect of some of PSA's most loyal supporters. I'm sure the improvements will keep coming and we can count on the grading to remain top-shelf as well.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.