Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#235134 - 10/12/03 12:41 PM The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I didn't see the game, so I can't verify which source of info on the internet is correct - but I'm curious to find out what the other board members think of yesterday's game.

Jeff Nelson is lousy along with Karim Garcia. Garcia has a .235 lifetime batting average and got dropped by the Tiges a couple of years ago. My opinion is he's a zero potential player - I watched him play - he stinks.

I grew up in Albany, NY and was die hard Yankee fan as a kid and I went to college outside of Boston and followed the Sox quite closely - so I can say that I seen the good in both organizations - but the Yankees are out of control. They are expecting an apology from the Red Sox for a 2 on 1 beating of a rake operator. Unbelievable! The Yankees pride themselves on professionalism - yet their right fielder jumps over the bullpen wall to beat up a guy whose job is to smooth the foul ground dirt. Apparently Jeff Nelson must have been getting smacked around by the rally flag owner to need reinforcements - aka Karim Garcia (did I say he stinks).

I hope the Yanks meet up with the Cubs in the Series. I'd like nothing more than to see Woods throwing BB's at 98+ mph and Prior making them look like fools with his bender.

What do others think.

STMF

#235135 - 10/12/03 03:50 PM Re: The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees [Re: stanthemanfan]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

i was born and raised in hartford ct so i can say the same. i have been watching these two teams since i was 7. i thought pedro was being thoughtful by beaning garcia.he stinks and he could have went after soriano,jeter or giambi! i feel sorry for don zimmer and as far as pedro what did you want him to do? the guy has a 20 million dollar arm and zimmer could have very well ended his career with one faulty move. pedro did the right thing he grabbed him and pushed him out of the way. as far as nelson i have no idea what happend. i did hear that the boston police were going to file charges against nelson and garcia but since withdrawn the charges.
i could see if the guy jumped down from the stands but the guy supposedly was cheering for the sox!

#235136 - 10/12/03 05:37 PM Re: The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees [Re: stanthemanfan]
wrigleyfield
Collector is an understatement.

I am not a Yankee or Red Sox fan. I thought Pedro was 100% wrong for throwing at Garcia's head - there is no excuse for what he did. Manny Ramirez totally over reacted to the high Clemens pitch that was not near his head. That was amazing restraint by Clemens (a beanballer himself). Don Zimmer was wrong for going after Martinez given that he is 72 years old. Martinez was justified in throwing him down (he could have punched him out). Its not clear to me exactly what happened in the Yankee bullpen - other than Jeff Nelson and Garcia were in a fight with a groundskeeper. Sounds like the Yankees may have been at fault.

Pitchers like Clemens and Martinez not only pitch inside - which is what they are supposed to do - but they throw at batters heads to intimidate and that has no place in baseball. It is especially disturbing that American Leage pitchers can put careers and lives at stake without any fear of retribution since they do not bat.

Just my thoughts.

GO CUBS!!!

Edited by wrigleyfield (10/12/03 05:38 PM)

#235137 - 10/12/03 07:26 PM Re: The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees [Re: wrigleyfield]
Vintagedeputy
The Collectinator

Loc: Richmond, Va.

Hello everyone! I just returned from the Bahamas and I see that the board is alive with opinions of the latest incident. While I am a lifelong Yankee fan, please let me offer what I saw and heard as evidence of the Yankees innocence.

1) Pedro Martinez, one of the finest control pitchers in the game, threw BEHIND Karim Garcia and nicked him. No question. Martinez has also struck other Yankees in the recent past. Seems like a pattern is showing.......

2) After the incident and some jawwing from the Yankee bench, Martinez was clearly seen saying that he would strike Posada in the head when he came up. No question about the threat.

3) Clemens threw a pitch high in the strike zone to Manny Ramirez but nowhere near his head. Ramirez bailed out early for no reason and proceeded to pick a fight with Clemens and hurl expletives.

4) Zimmer ran out onto the field and in the direction of Martinez but there was no overt act of aggression on Zimmer's part. To toss a 72 year old man to the ground like that is nothing short of an assault on Martinez' part.

5) The story I read from the bullpen incident is that the groundskeeper (who has no business being in the Yankees bullpen) was cheering for the Sox. Nelson approached him and asked him to go cheer elsewhere. The man allegedly made a move towards Nelson and tried to throw a punch. Self defense from there on in.

Two sides to every story, I can be objective and still say that the Sox were in the wrong.

#235138 - 10/12/03 07:56 PM Re: The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees [Re: Vintagedeputy]
wrigleyfield
Collector is an understatement.

I agree with most of your post. However, it looked to me as though Zimmer tried to throw a punch at Martinez (while he deserved at least a punch, it was not Zimmer's fight).

I think you will see Martinez or Clemens (depending on who makes it to the World Series) think twice before using pitches at a batter's head to intimidate when pitching in the National league park - unless they desire to be on the other end of a beanball.

#235139 - 10/12/03 08:07 PM Re: The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees [Re: wrigleyfield]
Vintagedeputy
The Collectinator

Loc: Richmond, Va.

The only angle I saw of the Zimmer/Martinez encounter was from behind Zimmer as he approached Martinez. If anything, I believe that Popeye was just going to give Martinez an earful and not do anything physical. I'm not saying that Zim was completly innocent, but you have to look at the 72 year old man vs. 31 year old athlete in superb shape aspect. Martinez could have easily sidestepped Zim and avoided contact. I'd be interested in seeing Zimmer from Martinez' view approaching him.

Just because the Dodgers left Brooklyn, doesn't mean that the Brooklyn Dodger in the old man is dead, .

#235140 - 10/13/03 02:36 PM Re: The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees [Re: Vintagedeputy]
shadroch
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: limbo

Pedro started the whole shindig and then didn't have he testicular fortitude to even join the scrum on the field.
Zimmer was wrong but what Pedro did was without class.
BTW- when was the last time you saw a world class pitcher come up so empty in a BIG game.
From what I'm reading in the NY papers,it seems like Nelson was in the wrong. I don't blame Garcia though because he saw a teammate involved with what he thought was a fan. My question would be- why wasn't the employee wearing any sort of uniform. It seems the employee was cheering for the hometeam but that shouldn't have resulted in a fight nor a beating.For those not able to read the NY papers, our billionaire mayor said that if it had happened in Yankee Stadium, he would have seen to it that Pedro was removed in handcuffs for assault.
From having subs wear LLILY on their team jackets, to not talking to the media and not providind uniforms for their groundcrew, everything the Red Sox do shows a severe lack of class. I guess thats why you never hear about Red Sox pride.

Let me die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandpa.Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

#235141 - 10/13/03 06:58 PM Re: The ALCS Playoffs with Jeff Nelson and the Yankees [Re: shadroch]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

i highly doubt that a pitcher would throw at another pitcher. just my opinion i think its a brotherhood thing.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.