Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#238756 - 10/17/03 08:02 AM Re: THE BOSTON RED SOX ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: aconte]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Quote:

GO BIRDS! .....

aconte
(Dallas S-U-C-K-S!!)

Aconte --

I thought he lived in Houston ...

#238757 - 10/17/03 06:10 PM Re: THE BOSTON RED SOX ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: aconte]
wrigleyfield
Collector is an understatement.

The only way for the Red Sox or Cubs to win a world series is for the teams to get rid of their respective curses. The way I see it, this is a much easier task for the Cubs. Here is what I think the teams need to do:

Cubs: reconstruct part of the their centerfield bleachers to set-aside space for fans to attend games with their billy-goats. A little costly, but it certainly can be done.

Red Sox: find Dr. Brown and his time machine Delorean vehicle and go back in time to 1920 and reverse the sale of Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Good luck on this one!!

#238758 - 10/18/03 01:49 AM Re: THE BOSTON RED SOX ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: wrigleyfield]
estang
(S)uper Collector

As a Twins fan, I'm upset they lost to the Yankees, but could deaden the disappointment because: a) I realize the Yankees have much better talent overall b) My fill of seeing the Twins win a World Series (twice!). I have empathy for the Red Sox and Cubs fans, and can relate to their feelings through being a fanatic of the Minnesota Vikings.

The only blame that should be directed by the Cubs and Red Sox fans should be pointed to Mark Prior, Kerry Wood and Pedro Martinez. Secondarily, blame the font office that neither of these teams have a shut-down or premier closer to finish off the game like the Yankees do in Rivera. These are the elite pitchers for their staffs and in all of baseball (top 10). They didn't make the pitches to get the batters out. I watched the games and recall that the hitters were grooving balls around the field on them. They all had 2 or more run leads that they blew.

I'd say that only Mark Prior got the really bad break and not by their fan down the foul line, but by their shortstop who completely choked when the score was still 3-1. Anyone play changes the entire events / course of history, and dropping the ball for a sure force play at second would have made it 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. Prior would likely have approached the hitter differently. All hell and composure just broke loose after that play. To blame the fan is just a cop-out, and comfort in the minds of the fans that they are looking for excuses to support the curse. The Cubs should just let that stupid billy-goat in the park. They should have let the thing throw out the first pitch.

On to the Red Sox. I think their manager did the right thing in leaving Martinez in the game, as they don't have anyone better. Martinez might have comparable regular season numbers to Koufax, but his post-season performance this year validated he isn't even in the same class. Martinez lost himself some HOF votes by blowing game 7.

It's hard for me to 100% discount that these franchises are cursed , especially the Red Sox. It's just perplexing to me that you could go for so many years and not put it all together. I was looking forward to a Cubs/Red Sox finale.

Now I'm rooting for the Yankees, but only marginally (mainly due my respect for Joe Torre and the Marlins just don't have the history or local support). The Marlins opened my eyes on the talent that they have offensively and their pitching seems to be good enough. While Pedro is losing HOF votes, Ivan Rodriguez is piling them up by the dozens (10 RBI in NLCS).

Prediction: Yankees in 6

Erik

#238759 - 10/18/03 01:46 PM Re: THE BOSTON RED SOX ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Jessica]
Vintagedeputy
The Collectinator

Loc: Richmond, Va.

The only way that the Sox are going to the Series now is with a ticket!

LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.