Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2420 - 08/05/02 02:59 AM Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader??
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Folks,

Are there any "off brand" grader whose slabs are worth taking a look for cross over to SGC? There has to be at least one making a go of it in terms of credible grading ...

#2421 - 08/05/02 05:32 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Yank, BVG, PSA, GAI can all be considered realistic. But, remember, it's the CARD. If you trust your eyes, go for it. Virtually everyone on this board will have a different opinion based on different experiences. I've had SGC 96's that couldn't make PSA 9's and PSA 9's that couldn't make SGC 96's. I would be careful of the BGS/BVG stuff. For whatever reason there are a fair amount of trimmed cards in those holders. I've purchased 5 for cross-over and two were trimmed. I couldn't spot it through the holder because the sides (grain) are not viewable. They were purchased from different people which makes it even more perplexing. My experience with SGC is that they miss surface bubbles on the year that you specialize in...BE CAREFUL HERE! Those are PSA 5's! And, in the long run will be undesireable no matter what the holder. PSA's problem is that they are just woefully inconsistent. GAI has arguably the best grading team, but you'll have to investigate that yourself. Don't listen to me or anyone else on that as the experiences are too few and far between at this stage. I've heard about ethics problems to good 'ol boy networks, etc. These are usually as credible as a Highschool rumor, but worth being forwarned about nonetheless. Also, you need a physics degree to crack into the GAI holder. I would obviously stay away from PRO, WCG, etc. There's another thread in the forum about KSA...pretty solid cards for the money...I'm 2 for 2 crossing 8's to PSA! SCDA is a sleeper. Raw cards would cost you more and they're pretty solid. Watch for centering there, however. But as for corners and surface they are rather strict and cross over well. Finally, it's the CARD...learn how to grade a card and submit enough to SGC so you can get a feel, then make your move. The good thing about SGC is that, unlike PSA, they're fairly consistent. That allows you to get to know a "92 or better" when you see it. Obviously, I would NEVER advise purchasing on-line with cross-over hopes. Again, I only caution about BVG as you can't really tell the trimming in the holder. Hope this helps...I have some hard #'s I could PM you if interested...I've crossed over so often I should go by "Joe Cross-Over"

#2422 - 08/06/02 02:22 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

I've submitted a grand total of 1 card to SGC for cross-over grading. A 1962 Topps #455 Luis Arroyo graded by CSA as a 10 crossed over to an SGC 98. This was several years ago ... before CSA came out with that electric blue background for their holders.

Generally, I stay away from the practice of trying to cross-over a card because of cost and risk. You have to pay a premium for the card in its current holder (as compared to an ungraded equivalent). At the time of my lone cross over experience, SGC was charging a "bust out" fee in addition to its normal grading fee. So, by the time SGC gets its first look at the raw card, you already have a substantial investment in the card ... especially if it's a PSA, BGS or GAI that you intend to cross over. That's the "cost" component of the equation.

The risk is that you never know whether you're going to get dinged a grade or half-grade from SGC. As 77s stated in one of his posts, you can't see the card's edges when it's in a holder. So, if you've incurred "mint" costs and submitted a MINT 9 card for cross-over grading with the expectation of receiving an SGC 96 ... only to receive an SGC 92 ... you're SOL.

Just my 2 or 3 cents ...

#2423 - 08/25/02 12:54 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

i dont know...seems like every company has some inconsistencies... i got a PSA 8 jerry rice that looks 10x worse then my 56 mantle PSA 7.... i got it on an auction from ebay and the picture did the card too much justice i guess.... just didnt see the damage i guess.... but point is psa shouldnt have given it an 8

I got a BSG 8.5 99 edgerrin James ultra that lookslike a truck ran over the edges... once again wasnt able to see on auction scan.

i got a SGC 98 shaun alexander Fleer Ultra where the front look perfect but onthe back the what should be orange corners like the surface color of the card show white ....obvious damage... this was NOT mistakable...andi obviously was not allowed to see a back scan of the card ....

Looks like i get dipped alot on auctions.. LOL..but this thread just shows u that all 3 of the big companies ive seen mistakes in grading...and therefore you NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING TO GET IN A CROSSOVER.... LORD HELP US....

#2424 - 08/25/02 12:59 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
Lothar52
enthusiast

should i contact SGC about that 98 that aint even a 96???

lothar52

#2425 - 08/25/02 01:14 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
Lothar52
enthusiast

hey when i get a scanner will anyone look at some of my cards.. scans that is..imthinking of having some crossed over.

Lothar52

#2426 - 08/25/02 03:25 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier

You cannot gather enough information from a scanned image to establish crossover probability. You just mentioned that you didn't see the damage in the scans on eBay...see where I'm going here?
An important rule to remember when playing the grading game "Learn from your mistakes & be honest with yourself".
77s

#2427 - 08/26/02 11:34 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Lothar52
enthusiast

at this point i should have them all regraded so that i least like lookin at them in there holder.. ya know??? i think i was stupid for buyin a few pro cards...but it was back 2 years ago when they all popped up and the stupid newbies to the hobby thought there were getting a deal. Heck i never did the follow:

saw one person buy a PRO 9.0 89 UD for 300 bucks
ditto on a PRO 9.8 Mcgwire for 1200

bet them guys feel like DUMMIES

lothar52

#2428 - 08/26/02 11:36 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Lothar52
enthusiast

ive been lookin at auctions and online.... ive seen cards i have in PRO... ie i have a PRO 9.5 92 bowman Piazza RC.... its listed at 50 bucks in becketts others mint+...but ungraded mint at 60.....

this makes since to go ahead and bust them out of the PRO holder no???

anybody know how to bust out a PRO/USA holder?????

lol

lothar52

#2429 - 08/26/02 04:07 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier

L,
Never tried PRO. As for USA...try a chainsaw The plastic is "soft" and truly melted together. I have some SSPC's that are razors in USA holders...forget about it.
77s

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.