Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2430 - 08/27/02 07:07 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

really??? u dont think i can get them out huh?? PRO and USA use same holders

lothar52

#2431 - 08/27/02 04:56 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

L, If you can, LMK how. I tried everything but the USC marching band and couldn't do it without putting the card at serious risk.
By the way, STOP BUYING PRO GRADED CARDS!!!
77s

#2432 - 11/22/02 01:03 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I haven't won a PRO Ebay auction yet - but some of the cards look real nice from the scans. Won't know until I'm holding one in person. though. I just received my first GAI card (NM/MT). Better than a PSA, a hair below an 88. I plan to cross-over for a common holder and the set registry. $3 is a pretty sweet deal.

The GAI is a hard call on what I think a cross-over grade will be. I have noticed SGC's 88's can vary greatly lately - I will post my results in about a month - my guess is an 86.

#2433 - 11/30/02 04:46 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: stanthemanfan]
Anonymous Unregistered

I also have some stuff to cross over. I have a few GAI cards now. I actually think they're accurately graded. They look cool in that holder so I'll only cross over my Becketts and PSA's. Anyone know how to open these?
#2434 - 12/01/02 06:56 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader??
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

BigRed,

Your best bet is to let Sgc and the grader open the other company's holder(s).
They know what they are doing and should be able to tell if a card will
cross over. At least this is how I go about it with the crossover service.
You can always call them and ask them for the best course of action.

aconte

#2435 - 12/02/02 03:25 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I've been successful using something a bit less than a chain saw...but not much!

A chop saw actually works great -- I chop the holder between the card and the tag and then use a little screw driver to do the rest. It sounds really wicked, but it works. A friend of mine uses a similar technique -- but a hand saw version.

SS

#2436 - 12/02/02 03:28 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: srs1a]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I forgot to add -- I agree 100% with aconte -- let the folks at SGC look at the card first...and just tell them the minimum grade that you would be OK with...then you have nothing to risk except the x-over fee. I used the chop saw trick when I was submitting elsewhere.
#2437 - 12/02/02 10:57 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey SS --

In reply to:

let the folks at SGC look at the card first...and just tell them the minimum grade that you would be OK with...then you have nothing to risk except the x-over fee

Do you know whether a preliminary review is included in the "Set Registry" special pricing for cross-overs ... or would that be an extra charge? I know that, in the past, SGC has advertised a cross-over review for $5 which would then be applied to the cost of the cross over if you chose to proceed ... but that was when the cost of crossing over was higher ($15 ... ???). Also, is there a "bust out" fee?

Any inside scoop would be helpful.

BTW, has anyone actually taken advantage of the cross-over special yet?

#2438 - 12/06/02 12:42 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: deadlyembrace]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Deadly

Yeah, I sent in 5 cards for cross-over about 1 week ago. PSA/GAI assortment (50's & 60's). I set an achievable min SGC grade (80) for all of the cards. For $3 per card - the cost of shipping on my small quantity made no sense to set a high Min grade and run the risk of a returned card. All of the cards are going to run in the 86 - 92 grade range. Sole purpose is to match the rest of my collection - SGC only.

I did cross-over 1 card at the very high rate of $15 - a gorgeous 59 Drysdale changed over to a 92. Up until a few months ago - I had not purchased a non-SGC vintage graded card. Having picked up a few GAI and PSA's - I reaffirmed my stance to collect only SGC cards. I think SGC does a great job. I hope SGC keeps the lower cross-over fee rather than running a limited time special.

Curious - are there any other 1950's Bowman collectors out there?

Thanks

#2439 - 01/03/03 10:13 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: deadlyembrace]
strider
Hobbyist

Loc: Washington State

I cross-overed sixteen cards PSA and BGS cards I had from the 1967 Topps Football set I'm collecting. It completes this set of SGC-graded cards. I'm pretty happy with the crossover grades, and now I'm going to concentrate on upgrading the set. I'm hoping to get a few more potential graded candidates to cross-over before the Set Registry Special offer goes away. I'm also looking for raw cards that could upgrade this set.

Good luck with your cross-over experience.

-Daniel

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.