Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2440 - 01/03/03 11:21 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: strider]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Daniel,

Congratulations on completing the set!!! Really nice set, too...and thanks for uploading the pics.

Would it be possible to post the results of your cross-over experience -- I'm in the process of doing one and will post the results when I get everything back in hand (should be next week).

Scott

#2441 - 01/03/03 12:20 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Congrats! Go Daniel! Go SGC!

#2442 - 01/03/03 10:50 PM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Let's Give Strider His Props on the SGC Registry Board!

#2443 - 01/06/03 03:19 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I just got my results this morning from my 1st submission of cross-over cards from PSA and GAI. This was part of the currently running "Set Registry" Special

Overall - I was pleasantly surprised. Here are the results.

1. 1950 Bowman Preston Ward - originally in a PSA 8 holder that I bought on Ebay. Crossed-over to an SGC92 - Very surprised in a very good way. I was sweating a cross to an 88 when I sent it in - let alone a 1/2 grade bump up. 1 for me.

2. 1968 Topps Bill Freehan - originally in a PSA 9 holder that I bought on EBay. Crossed over to an SGC96. Very happy with the grade. Was expecting a 92 - T/B centering was so-so. Another 1 for me.

3. 1962 Topps Don Drysdale AS - originally in a PSA 8 - went to a 86 holder. A bit of disappointment. 1 against me. The only 1962 card I own and it had 2 very slight touched corners. I am not knowledgeable at all on 1962's concerning how they grade out. '62's are tough and I have a renewed appreciation for anyone doing a high-grade '62 set. Hat's off to DeadlyEmbrace. Overall, I lost money on this experiment - but it is still a nice piece of cardboard.

4. 1964 Topps Roger Maris - originally in a PSA8 - went to a 92. This card was the backbone of my submission. I know he won't ever end up in Cooperstown - but I really like Maris cards. The 92 is what I expected and would have been crushed if it came back anything lower than a 92.

5. 1950 Bowman Allie Clark - originally in a GAI 8 holder - went to a 86. An accurate grade and one that did not surprise me.

This is my first (granted small population) cross-over and based on the results - can absolutely make no conclusions on buying non-SGC cards for cross-over.

I'll report my next cross-over results in a month.

STMF

#2444 - 01/06/03 04:55 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: stanthemanfan]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

interesting stuff. waiting to hear about your pro crossover....Will the gamble pay off...

#2445 - 01/06/03 05:24 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: stanthemanfan]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

STMF -- great results...I think you won round one!

Scott

#2446 - 01/06/03 05:26 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: vayank]
stanthemanfan

I received some PM from srs1a that leads me to believe the card has a good chance of being trimmed. I honestly never thought about trimmed edges when bidding - I was assuming the corners would be soft compared to an equivalent SGC high-grade.

I have a feeling I'm going to take some well deserving crap from the board due to my somewhat boastful posting on "buying card holders and not the card, etc".

I will be really surprised if it comes back clean and in a high-grade SGC holder.

Time will tell.

#2447 - 01/06/03 06:46 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: stanthemanfan]
Anonymous Unregistered

STMF,

Did you take the cards out of the holder before sending to Sgc?

aconte

#2448 - 01/06/03 06:55 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader??
stanthemanfan

aconte,

No.

I did not take anything out of their holders - for the card results I listed today - I sent them in the PSA or GAI slabs. Same for the 2nd set of cards which includes 1 PRO, 2 GAI, and 1 PSA.

I was hoping to see a trend - do PSA's get higher cross-over grades vs another companies's holder - maybe help with future card purchases that are intended for cross-over. I did not and honestly - do not want to see any influence on grades from SGC. I think they were fair on my 5.

From the 5 I got results on this morning - the only shock was the 1 1950 Bowman. I collect that set - so I won't complain!

#2449 - 01/06/03 07:20 AM Re: Crossing Over to SGC, What would be best off brand Grader?? [Re: stanthemanfan]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

STMF,

I'm not aware of any trend as far as cross over for Psa cards. It really
depends on the card. Maybe the old Psa holders are graded with a loose
standard but I have no factual data to back up the claim. Just that the
concensus by many is that grading has gotten stricter over the years.
I'm sure there are exceptions though.

Good luck on the Pro card. Maybe you will get lucky and the card will
be ok. I have my doubts along with the others who have commented so
far.

Thanks for answering my question and good luck on future submissions.

I have crossed over about 10-12 red man cards in Psa 8 to Sgc 88
from the 1954 set. I have three that would not cross to Sgc 88 and
one that was considered trimmed in the Psa 8 holder. It seemed
short but I submitted it anyhow.

aconte

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (goldenhawk) and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.