Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#24493 - 11/11/02 10:58 AM Grading Consistency
remo
Collector

Loc: washington state

I was just wanted to let people know about somthing i was reading on the other guys message board about being unhappy with there consistency and a mention of using sgc.

#24494 - 11/11/02 12:29 PM Re: Grading Consistency [Re: remo]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Were they implying that the "other guys" don't grade consistently and that they intended to try SGC ... or were they implying the exact opposite ... ???

#24495 - 11/11/02 01:06 PM Re: Grading Consistency [Re: deadlyembrace]
Anonymous Unregistered

If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to share my experiences/opinions on this but would prefer to do so individually via e-mail.

mike@1972topps.com

Mike

#24496 - 11/12/02 03:09 AM Re: Grading Consistency [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

DE,

It's a very interesting discussion concerning the apparent degradation in grading consistency at PSA in recent times -- the discussion was started by gaspipe26, who is one upstanding, quality individual.

Many of the contributors in this discussion are regulars here, as well.

Scott

#24497 - 11/12/02 03:52 AM Re: Grading Consistency [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey Scott --

By "degradation" I assume you mean the gratuitous awarding of grades that are higher that warranted ... by any standard. Unfortunately, this attracts sellers who tend to submit in bulk lots of cards for grading due to the sure knowledge that the percentage of gem mints and mints returned will be higher ... and by extension, the amounts of post-auction profits will be greater. I've been involved in a series of private email discussions on this very topic and know it to be true.

It doesn't take a giant mental leap to conclude that the volume of SGC-graded cards ... those that have been CORRECTLY and CONSERVATIVELY graded ... will tend to decline. This hurts collectors like me who can't find the cards they're looking for and have to pay though the nose when quality, SGC-graded card do surface.

Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Erosion of grading standards will negatively impact the "other guys" in the long run. When collectors of the "other guys" cards become disillusioned with the product, they will look for an alternative and make a switch. And sellers will follow the money.

My advice is to talk it up across the street. Point out how quality has eroded, and how collectors are getting suckered. Grass roots efforts take time, but they can be very effective.

#24498 - 11/12/02 04:21 AM Re: Grading Consistency [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

DE,

Yes, there is certainly plenty of discussion about the "big guys" getting more that their fair share of 9's and 10's...but also, alot of discussion about just plain, inconsistent grading -- the same people sorting their cards to the same standards, but getting significantly different grades each time they submit -- plenty of unhappy campers.

Scott

#24499 - 11/12/02 05:20 AM Re: Grading Consistency [Re: srs1a]
remo
Collector

Loc: washington state

I thought it was interesting the idea of getting better grades if you are a big submitter compared to the little guy like me, not good if you ask me it should be consistent across the board. I realize nobody is perfect but it sounds like an ongoing problem right now shich can only be good for sgc as i see it which will be good for sgcs customers in the long run.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.