Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2453 - 08/05/02 09:11 AM What aspect of a card is most important to you?
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

For me it's the surface followed by the centering. Bright colors and tight registry framed by even borders creates an artistic image. IMHO a technical "9" that is out of focus or has bleeding yellows or ink sprays requires an upgrade. It's eye-candy all the way for me. If it's got thick, original gloss... What do you guys like?

#2454 - 08/06/02 01:14 PM Re: What aspect of a card is most important to you? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

When evaluating ungraded cards, I tend to look at centering, corners, edges and surface ... in that order. It's not often that I get all the way to the point of evaluating an older card's surface without finding some defect that makes it (the card) less than mint. So, when that rare find occurs, it's exciting.

Edited by deadlyembrace (08/06/02 03:44 PM)

#2455 - 08/06/02 03:38 PM Re: What aspect of a card is most important to you? [Re: deadlyembrace]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Edges are important as are corners. I look at color vibrancy and registration. Obviously, no suface defects. I am comforatble 60/40 or better centering.

For my 77 set, I am looking for 84s or better. I have honed my eye to kick out any card lower than 84. I want to avoid a blown grading fee. I can't really afford too many purchased 96s, so I am really conscious of not dipping below my minimum grade.

To do that, I look at the corners and centering first, then edges, and then surface issues. If those elements are in tow, then I make there aren't any printing flaws that would buck it down. It's working; I got 24 out of 25 84 or better in my last submission.

#2456 - 08/24/02 05:23 PM Re: What aspect of a card is most important to you? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

centering... it bring the bucks.. look at a SGC 80 64 topps mays...my favorite card of him...now then look at one with 65/35 centering L/R and 40/60 up down... right away it look flawed ....while the SGC 80 with the centering may not look flawed on your display case on your wall from even 1 foot away.. ( 1 inch away with 10x magnify yes....but lets hope on judgement day god doent break out his 10x multiplier or we are all in deep dodo...

check otu the bids and final priceson 2 cards graded the same but way off on centering with one and dead on with another.. oh boy..your talkign 1000 percent more price....

take my BVG 5.5 williams from 1955... i paid 600 for it.. yep..600 for a 5.5 with 9 centering, 5 corners, 7 surface and 7 edges..... i got ina price war with a powerseller on ebay... by grade it was not worth no 600...NOT A CHANCE... but BVG is stupid in that it only gave it a 5.5 cause of a bit of corner wear..they are harsh on corners let me tell u....TO THIS DAY...ive not seen a psa 7 55 topps that looks as artistic and beautiful as my 5.5....not a chance... ITS THE CENTERING....the EYE CANDY.......and why shouldnt it be....we buy them to look at them right??? to takeus back in time right??? ok..im done

lothar52, new to the board...and sorry for buyin BVG..it was a weak moment.

#2457 - 08/24/02 05:56 PM Re: What aspect of a card is most important to you? [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Lothar,
Welcome. Apology accepted. Eye candy is what it's all about for me as well. I actually boot 9's out of my set for more attractive 8's. This happens more with PSA, however. SGC 9's are usually "all there".
77s

#2458 - 01/01/03 10:36 AM Re: What aspect of a card is most important to you? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
81GURU
Just got here

Image is first and formost then I must have razor edges and centered a minor corner touch means nothing to me if the cards all that...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.