Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#246026 - 10/27/03 11:06 AM N300 P.H. Mayos [Re: Basilone]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

please add some additional information regarding that particular issue...where there versions that did not include the bottom section?

Basilone,

I am pretty sure the answer is no. About 99.9999% sure. According to
"The Encylopedia of Baseball Cards - Volume 1" by Lew Lipset:
.... "The cards measure 2 7/8" x 1 5/8' and are sepia and shoulder portaits surrounded by a black frame. The frame, somewhat thicker at the bottom, carries the advertising "For chewing and Smoking" to the right and the Mayo trademark to the left. All cards are black blank backs"

I'm no expert in 19th Century cards. But this looks obvious.

aconte

#246027 - 10/27/03 11:18 AM Re: N300 P.H. Mayos [Re: aconte]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

I will not jump to conclusions but based on Tony's comment he is 99.9% sure, it will be interested to see what the psa mouthpieces say about this one.

If true that this is an embarrassing miss, does this support my comment about the need for grading room experience?

Dav

#246028 - 10/27/03 11:42 AM Re: N300 P.H. Mayos [Re: Davalillo1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

looks to me that this card was buried in a submission between some 74 topps traded that all graded and the numbers following the card are a bunch of 59 fleer 3 stooges with the grade not available, what does that mean?

#246029 - 10/27/03 11:42 AM Re: N300 P.H. Mayos [Re: aconte]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Quote:

According to "The Encylopedia of Baseball Cards - Volume 1" by Lew Lipset:

.... "The cards measure 2 7/8" x 1 5/8' and are sepia and shoulder portaits surrounded by a black frame. The frame, somewhat thicker at the bottom, carries the advertising "For chewing and Smoking" to the right and the Mayo trademark to the left. All cards are black blank backs"

Given that these cards have blank backs and the lower portion of the card was missing, I wonder how it could have been classified as a "Mayo's" ... ???

#246030 - 10/27/03 12:01 PM Hold the Mayo [Re: deadlyembrace]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

While this card is merely one example, it is one more example in an ever-growing population of errors and oversights, but don't tell Dan Markel, Alan Cowart or Toppsgun from the CU Forum they would prefer to believe that PSA is perfect. The trend is that PSA is getting sloppy in the grading room, contrary to The Minister of Misinformation claiming that this is the best core of graders that PSA has ever had.

Nothing could be more important than the collector educating himself so that he can assess a card independently of the holder and the assigned grade. It is hard to elaborate much more since Michael has provided a comprehensive explanation already.

#246031 - 10/27/03 03:40 PM Re: Hold the Mayo [Re: botn]
the1nderer
Learning the Ropes

PSA phucked up that one. I'm curious if the auction was ended because the card is being bought back??
#246032 - 10/27/03 05:20 PM Re: Hold the Mayo [Re: the1nderer]
bcornell
Learning the Ropes

No unaltered N300 Mayo ever looked like that. It's impossible that anyone familiar with the issue (and, therefore, anyone qualified to grade it) could have missed the fact that the card is cropped and not just trimmed. And if Orlando & Co. still want to claim that 2 or 3 graders look at every card, then they have 2 or 3 times the problem with competency than they deny they do.

Bill

#246033 - 10/30/03 07:32 AM Re: Hold the Mayo [Re: bcornell]
Sean_C
Hobbyist

That is one pretty big screwup. Whomever graded that card should be fired IMHO.

#246034 - 11/18/03 10:07 AM Re: Honest Dealers [Re: MW1]
MRP1017
Just got here

To Davaillo and others,
Its funny how everyone in these stupid message boards are poised to jump on any dealer for the slightest of "ethics" infraction they deem he has violated. Aside from the burning question that I ask myself, don't you all have jobs or something better to do with your lives, it strikes me how you can viciously assault another dealer for a simple mistake.
It was me that ran the Mayo Cut Plug on eBay. It was one of over 20,000 cards per year that I grade and believe it or not, a card or two is going to get past me. Yes, I like the rest of you, can miss a trimmed card once in awhile. With all the cards coming across my desk during the year some are going to get by me. Its no reflection on my "honest" as a dealer. Its not an obvious denegration of my skills in the industry. And it is certainly not anything more than what it appears to be on the surface but a genuine mistake. If any one of you out there would have taken the time to CALL ME and ask for MY side of this you could have been horse-whipping another dealer (BM.) that really deserves it.
I am busting my [!@#%^&^] in this business just like the rest of you. For those who buy from me regularly (and the 2800+ on my maillist attest to this) know that I am a straight shooter and make any situation a win-win for both me and the customer. I will go the extra mile to assure that they are happy with a deal they get from me. I buy fair and I sell fair. And if in the future anyone of you out here have a problem with me or my company I suggest you pick up the phone and do the right thing. We cant get anywhere in this business backstabbing each other. We need to utilize everyone for support and networking and the advancement of the industry. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution and I choose to be the latter.
I know PSA shouldn't of graded the Mayo but I am sure they look at more cards than I do. Maybe the same dynamic holds true for them. As for the card, it will be turned in at the next show PSA attends that I am at also. Looks like Ft Washington.
If you want to do business with me or call me to talk cards, I welcome you. Website is www.vintagesportsinv.com

thanks
--marc perna

#246035 - 11/18/03 01:18 PM Re: Honest Dealers [Re: MRP1017]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

With all due respect Mr. Perna, that card residing in a PSA slab is rediculous. It is not trimmed, it is hacked -- something like 15% of the card is gone. Amazing.

It is curious how a card of this sort would get by an experienced pre-war dealer. It is rediculous that a card of this sort got by a professional grader.

To me is is very hard to put a smiley face on this one.

my 2 cents

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 9 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.