Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#248531 - 10/30/03 01:34 PM Cross-Over Alert
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Dear All

I like to dabble from time to time in the holders of the "minor" grading companies. Usually the results aren't so great but as I generally don't pay much money for these cards, it makes for a good experiment.

My grades were just posted for a lot of cards that I submitted to SGC and a 1963 Fleer Don Drysdale CTA 8 made the successful cross-over to an SGC 88. The card looked really sweet in the holder so as long as it hadn't been altered, I thought it had a shot.

Does anyone else have experience with CTA graded cards?? I would like to know if I was the proverbial blind squirrel finding an acorn or if a cheaper crossing alternative may have been stumbled upon.

Regards

Ron

#248532 - 10/30/03 02:02 PM Re: Cross-Over Alert [Re: njdolphins]
buttermarc
Collector

Loc: NYC

Ron:

I have had some success in crossing-over their cards, too. However, my success is primarily focused on more modern cards. I have heard anecdotes from some vintage afficianados that CTA is not always efficient at catching trimmed examples -- but I do not have any knowledge that will either confirm or deny this.

As their business model focuses more on the computerized element than the human element, I think that there will continue to be a risk associated with their services -- a risk that is perhaps enhanced when you are dealing over the Internet than at a live show.

My $0.02

#248533 - 10/30/03 02:32 PM Re: Cross-Over Alert [Re: buttermarc]
the1nderer
Learning the Ropes

Counterfit, Trimmed and Altered is, as far as 3rd rate grading companies go, not bad. They mean well.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.