Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#254403 - 11/05/03 06:47 PM Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!!
ledsters
Collector is an understatement.

Well, I was a little nervous about sending in my prized 1978 Family Fun Centers Ozzie Smith that was housed in the Old SGC label. It was a 96 MINT. I'm happy to report that it now resides in the NEW SGC holder with a grade of 96 MINT. See there's nothing to be worried about. GULP.
#254404 - 11/05/03 07:15 PM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: ledsters]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Congratulations! Do you have a scan you could post here??

#254405 - 11/05/03 07:40 PM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: ledsters]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

GULP

aconte

#254406 - 11/05/03 07:49 PM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: aconte]
ledsters

Sorry, I'm not that computer literate. I did update the scan on the Registry. The Set is 1978 Family Fun Centers Padres. Check it out. Unless you have the time and the patience to talk me through adding a scan to my message.
#254407 - 11/06/03 10:29 AM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: ledsters]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Ledsters- Congrats, but is this technically a crossover? A crossover would be to take another company's card and try to get it into an SGC holder in the same or higher grade. SGC old label to SGC new label is just a reholdering issue, not a grading issue, since the card was already graded by the same company. Does anyone else agree?
#254408 - 11/06/03 10:51 AM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: Fabfrank]
ledsters

With all the talk about the old SGC and the new SGC I thought I would test the water and have it put into the new holder. Apparently, the old SGC holdered cards didn't have a possitive reputation in the community. Personally, I don't care either way. Although I originally had the Smith card graded by SGC the first year SGC was around. The rest of my set had the new holders and I read several messages about the old being inferior to the new so I thought I would test the water.

Ledsters

#254409 - 11/06/03 11:01 AM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: Fabfrank]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Fabfrank

From the sentiments of a lot of previous posts and also my understanding, the old SGC labels need to be submitted under the regrade service with a MIN grade specified. The reholder applies to either damaged slabs or the current label design without the 10 scale equivalent grade. I have a small submission going into to SGC next week where I plan on trying the same experiment that Ledsters successfully accomplished.

STMF

#254410 - 11/06/03 12:21 PM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: ledsters]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

ledsters --

I'm glad to hear your good news about old-label to new-label "crossovers". I'm not sure about the "crossover" vs. "reholdering" classification. That would be an SGC decision and would impact the cost of the transaction, right?

If you don't mind me asking, what were you charged on a per card basis for the old-to-new evaluation?

Also, did the card keep the same SGC serial number?

I have my own experiment in the works but am broadening it to include similar quality cards graded by SGC's competitors. That is, in a small sample set, I would like to see how "equivalent" SGC old-labels cross over as compared to PSA, GAI, BGS and even CSA cards. I'm accumulating cards now and hope to submit them to SGC in the 1st quarter of next year.

#254411 - 11/06/03 04:05 PM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: deadlyembrace]
ledsters

Deadlyembrace,

I had to submit the card under the crossover program. I also sent in several BVG graded Topps Mexican cards for my set. Those did very well. All cross over with the same grade except 2 crassed at 1 grade higher. The Ozzie Smith card was the Gem of my set and I had tried a year ago to have it reholdered into the modern label but the sent it back with a new holder but the same label. This time I went the crossover route. I had confidence it was still a mint card but you never know. And yes, they put the same serial number on the new label. I believe this is necessary to not throw off the population report. I'm not sure I want to continue to do this with other old label cards but it was a success.

ledsters

#254412 - 11/07/03 09:52 AM Re: Good news about crossovers from old SGC to new!!! [Re: ledsters]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I could see it as a crossover if the old holder was was the "SG" holder. But going from the old holder without 10 pt grade to a new holder with the 10 pt grade still ought to be a just a reholder issue. Regardless, Ledsters is satisfied and when it comes to collecting, that's what it's all about
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.