Page 5 of 13 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#2684 - 10/24/02 12:36 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: 77collector]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

What do you mean by registry *sections*?

In several years, i expect several hundred sets listed with one 92-caliber 1977 set.

#2685 - 10/24/02 04:24 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

OK, down to the meat.

(1) the market says that PSA cards in the same grade are worth more than SGC
(2) recent experience says that SGC grades tougher than PSA (my experience is that they are about the same, but no matter)

So, why deal with SGC -- tougher grades, and worse resale value? And if the above is correct, why does this say about their long term viability?

I am trying to play the devils advocate here -- I am really struggling.

#2686 - 10/24/02 04:25 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: vayank]
77collector
Learning the Ropes

Loc: The SGC boards

I meant the popularity of each companies registry vs another. I suspect Beckett will start one up also. Whose will be the best in terms of participants and/or value as in selling prices??
#2687 - 10/24/02 05:09 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: 77collector]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

S > I don't have any answers for you regarding your business model as it relates to re-sale. SGC grades better, tougher, great customer service, great prices, great turnaround time, and the cards look great in the slab. Why go else where?

Edited by vayank (10/24/02 05:11 AM)

#2688 - 10/24/02 03:11 PM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

I've had a lot of business dealings with Walt, and I know him to be a great guy. If he chose to go to PSA on his own ... and it works out well for him ... I wish him the best. But if SGC had an opportunity to fight for his business (so long as they weren't asked to compromise their high standards) and didn't ... I would be shocked and disappointed.

#2689 - 10/24/02 05:52 PM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

DE & Friends, Just business. He wasn't getting any bids at all on his 92's. Those same cards turned 9's & 10's from PSA and moved like hot cakes. PSA is the market. It's just a fact. Not how I choose to see it, but an undeniable fact and certainly not one a submitter Walt's size could overlook.

Look, eighteen months ago, SGC was gaining acceptance as a viable alternative. SGC 92's were, indeed getting premiums--even on modern. Then the PSA registry hit and locked up the dollars and ego's (A brutal combination to overcome) of many collectors including myself. I mentioned then to Derek and the guys that it was IMPERATIVE to them to come up with an answer to that marketing coup. To date they have not.

Nobody who is credible in this hobby would deny that SGC is quality, and long-term...who knows, but they must get more cards in that holder! Even if they offer free set cross-overs or $2 grading specials...to gain acceptance they must be visible...and I mean right now. 70's set building is booming right now. It is the decade of choice of many as the cards are still somewhat affordable and can be found in high grade...RAW in quantity. The 30-somethings are re-living their cardboard childhoods. RAW is important to grading companies for obvious reasons...that's where the $$$ is. The company that slabs the 70's & 80's will carve a substantial niche for themselves...for now it's PSA.

#2690 - 10/25/02 12:30 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

77 > I hear you and understand.

But when you think of it, it's a buy the holder, not the card situation. Also, the grading was too tough and they changed companies to get easier grades therefore more cash. What does that say about PSA, other than there is a slab tax?

And your analysis is entirely business. For the collector, it's not a hard choice and I've made the right one. I wish Walt and Deb all the best. See you on "the Hustings"

#2691 - 10/25/02 05:28 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Yank,
Unfortunately, it IS a business...whether you're a collector or not. For me, I hope to do a set entirely SGC graded that will look attractive in their holder and can be done inexpensively with unopened product. Right now I've got my eye on '83 Topps, but that may change. The bottom line is, for SGC to stay in business, they need more submissions. The collector won't cut it. They need dealers with bulk lots to get the product in the face of the collector. Losing Walt is significant. I would love to see some SGC stuff make it to Mastro or the like. How about Andy Madec displaying SGC at a show...something like that would certainly help.
A Registry about a year ago would have helped too. It may be too late.
What would happen if SGC approached Shoeless or BBCEx or Dslsports with an introductory offer they couldn't refuse. It's business!

By the way, would you want to do a trade for one of your cards for two or three of mine...or some gorgeous raw stuff? You've got a card that I need and I know I've got a bunch you need. LMK.

#2692 - 10/25/02 09:23 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

77's is right. We've discussed this in another thread. SGC's priority right now is to get product (graded commons) into the market as quickly as possible. What's the use of having a card registry if there are no cards to register! As I've stated before, the quickest way to do this is with radical pricing. $3-$5 grading with 10 day turn around. 10 card minimum.
As to Walt's decision to go with PSA, I can't blame the guy. I still buy something from them every week, whether it's SGC or PSA. Remember buy the card, not the holder etc., etc.
I don't view SGC's grading as harder or PSA's as more lenient. SGC is consistent, period. Some of their card values may be lower, but their are many factors that currently contribute to that. The one thing that SGC can do that will address this situation is to GET THE REGISTRY UP AND RUNNING!

#2693 - 10/25/02 10:01 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: Fabfrank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Walt's decision is more reason why I look for Sgc graded cards. The problem
is that it is not the consensus.

Aconte

Page 5 of 13 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.