Page 9 of 13 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#2724 - 11/02/02 04:52 PM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi Mike --

Lots of interesting points made in your previous posts. Vayank scores a few, as well. I'd like to contribute a few tangential points that you may or may not have considered.

The rankest of commons or most plentiful of checklists from the 1962 Topps set in legitimate, unqualified, mint condition (ungraded) wouldn't sell for more than $15-25. Add a MINT slab from any of the industry leaders, and the card instantly appreciates to the $50-60 range. That's cost justification.

Your experiences with the '79 set are radically different. Perhaps your understandable concerns regarding the the wisdom of building of a graded, mint, '79 Topps set have more to do with current market demand for the set than the relative cost benefits of slabbing individual cards ... just a thought.

I'm curious ... what's your experience, in terms of investment value for '79 commons, from any of SGC's competitors?

A second point: you've not considered the potential windfall coming your way if you buy $3-4 SGC 96 cards today and are able to sell them in three/ten/??? year's time for $50-60. Long term investing is the name of the game if maximizing profits is your main motive. And when considering '79 Topps cards, perhaps you're on the leading edge.

In December, 1998, I bought 13 commons from the 1960 Topps set -- all graded SGC 96 -- for $15 per card. Mind you, SGC was the new guy on the block at the time, and PSA and CSA were the ONLY competition (no one paid attention to ASA). Earlier this year, I sold those cards for an average of $153 each. Risk and reward ...

Just my 2 cents ...

#2725 - 11/02/02 05:08 PM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Just reading and thought I'd say "Hi".

#2726 - 11/02/02 05:18 PM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

We have a date certain for SGC Set Registry on November 7. So I have Thursday circled on my calendar. Hopefully, I'll register my '77 set.

#2727 - 11/02/02 05:24 PM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey 77s --

Back at ya ...

BTW, about your tagline ... "disco is underrated" ... I went to high school in New Orleans during the early seventies when disco was just beginning to make its evil presence known. In New Orleans, if you wanted to go out with women, you had to subject yourself to that stuff. I still walk with a limp ...

#2728 - 11/03/02 03:02 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier

DE, Nawlins' huh? sounds cool. Me, I just can't get enough polyester!
I'm thinking of registering my Saturday Night Fever set with SGC...

#2729 - 11/03/02 03:23 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: deadlyembrace]
Anonymous Unregistered

DE> I think you're correct in that the effect of resale/liquidity will vary pretty widely depending on the set. Obviously it will also depend on market conditions. And you make a good point about the time factor as well.

As for the relative value from competitors on 1979s. . .I haven't been following the market for SGC-graded 79s for very long. As I mentioned before, in the last 2-3 weeks I've picked up 52 SGC96 at an average of $3.30 each. Over the course of the last year, PSA9s have typically gone anywhere from $6 to $15 - again, depending on the market, who was watching the auctions, and other factors.

I guess I wonder if SGC has any plans to be price-competitive with the folks out west.

Mike

#2730 - 11/03/02 06:33 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02
downgoesfrazier

In reply to:

I guess I wonder if SGC has any plans to be price-competitive with the folks out west.

Mike,
Email me.

#2731 - 11/04/02 04:29 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Mike, Chuck, DE, Matt,

Very interesting discussion...and I guess we all land in slightly different places because there are many reasons to collect.

I get cards slabbed for preservation of the card and for preservation of the value of the card. I don't buy presentation as a reason to slab a card -- to me, a choice card looks just as nice in a card saver as in a slab. Yes, you guessed it...my complete sets are a jumble of PSA, SGC, BGS/BVG graded cards and a ton of commons in card saver II's -- and they all look great!

I think the discussion of secondary market is extraordinarily important....I believe that any/all grading companies need an active secondary market to remain viable in the long term and this is my major worry about SGC. As far as I can tell, the only thing that they can actually do to stimulate the market is to stimulate demand for their grading services...and the only real knob here is price.

Excellent point on value/price -vs- time...today, there is no question about slabbing anything from the 60's and early-mid seventies (as long as you've got a good eye)...it gets very hazy as you move beyond that and that is where much of the discussion was focused.

Scott

#2732 - 11/05/02 03:34 AM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Two days to go and I'll be set "registered!"

#2733 - 11/06/02 04:36 PM Re: SGC Set Registry Coming 10/1/02 [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

I'm not certain I have enough cards from any set to register, but I am anxious to see the format. On a related topic, does anyone else here think the population report works clumsy and slow? Trying to be constructive how could it be improved?
Page 9 of 13 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.