Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#272095 - 11/26/03 12:31 PM Continued frustration with Topps --- Factory 2003 football sets...
estang
(S)uper Collector

Today I went to Target to pick up some supplies. I found the 2003 Topps football factory sets are now on their shelves and I bought one. I noticed that the cards are not packed tightly, as I can here them shift around inside the box. I tested a few and they ware all like that. Despite this, I purchased one and took a chance.

I got home and opened it to sort by team and player, and...yep, about a third of the cards had major corner damage wear.

I'll be taking it back with receipt to Target. I will look to exchange and open another one right on the spot, if they let me. If they don't then I'll contact Topps. I'll also encourage Target's headquarters to contact Topps and note this problem. I'll also contact Topps.

This is just poor operating procedures and quality control. There was a good one inch + space inside the box for the cards to shift and move all over the place. What a disgrace.

Between this and their screwed up "short print mistake" of 2002 Topps Traded baseball is getting me to the point of giving up my Topps football and baseball collections. I don't want to do that, but I'm just irked that they're making such blatant mistakes to their loyal collecting base.

If anyone has some contacts at Topps to direct my feedback to, I welcome that, or any other opinions on the matter.

Erik

#272096 - 12/10/03 01:20 PM Topps factory 2003 football sets...situation resolved [Re: estang]
estang
(S)uper Collector

I ended up buying another Topps 2003 football factory set and opened it at home. The 2nd set had no damaged cards. My wife tried getting a refund for the "damaged" set, but was told she couldn't. Target mentioned that she could only get an exchange and the replacement set had to be opened at Target. The reasoning was that the "damaged" set had been opened.

Well, I went to another Target and they promptly refunded my money. Case closed.

Erik

#272097 - 12/11/03 05:14 AM Re: Topps factory 2003 football sets...situation resolved [Re: estang]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Congrats on the happy ending. Who knows? Maybe the first target had a history of being scammed by unsavory characters and felt they had to protect themselves.

Perhaps the moral of the story is to let wife handle it!!!

#272098 - 12/13/03 05:25 PM Re: Topps factory 2003 football sets...situation resolved [Re: vayank]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

factory sets....did they mark them with a stamp so that they are diff then those sold in packs?

loth

#272099 - 03/12/04 10:47 AM Re: Topps factory 2003 football sets...situation resolved [Re: Lothar52]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Loth,

Nope.

I believe that in my 10 years of buying factory sets at Target for baseball and football that just one football set had some stupid stamp on them about being the first year of the Carolina Panthers.

Factory sets are the best deal in the modern card market, IMHO. I'd rather build the sets hand collated through boxes, but the prices are way too steep. I decided to buy a Topps Series one box from a couple of years ago for like $50 and it was a waste, because I'm not interested in the parallels and inserts.

Erik

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 1 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.098 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.