Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#291350 - 12/21/03 05:48 PM Watch this PSA 10 Topps Rod Carew ebay auction
estang
(S)uper Collector

with a beginning listing @ 749.00 and a bid by "redsoxjeff" with 8+ days left to go.

1977 Topps PSA 10 Rod Carew on ebay

One of my favorite cards of all time. I picked up a BVG 9.0 for about $75 in the past year (and it is not from a sheet cut).

You have to be obsessed with deep pockets to do such a thing.

This bidder has a reputation of bidding high for this particular set. To the point that other PSA collectors are re-directing their registry efforts. I've noticed this bidder picking up a 1977 Mint George Foster one week only to sell it in following weeks at a lower price.

I'll keep y'all updated as this pans out.

Erik

#291351 - 12/30/03 07:43 AM PSA 10 Topps Rod Carew ebay auction ends at $749.99 [Re: estang]
estang
(S)uper Collector

and only one bid by 'redsoxjeff'. Did he overpay?

Erik

#291352 - 12/30/03 11:25 AM Re: PSA 10 Topps Rod Carew ebay auction ends at $749.99 [Re: estang]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Overpay? One bid at a high price suggests that, but RSJ must have a ton of cash and the resolve to use it. I am glad he is only an occasional bidder on 1977 SGC cards.

#291353 - 01/01/04 06:07 PM RSJ is at again...this time with 1977 PSA 9 Mark Fidrych [Re: vayank]
estang
(S)uper Collector

$127+ with over 3 days left.

1977 PSA 9 Mark Fidrych ebay auction

This is one hard card to find in top condition. I recently tracked a BVG 8 of the same card, which is their higest grade given.

I spent $15 on a raw NM/MT version that is due back from SGC in the coming weeks. I'm hoping for a 92. We'll see...

Erik

#291354 - 01/01/04 06:18 PM Re: RSJ is at again...this time with 1977 PSA 9 Mark Fidrych [Re: estang]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

he's been WORKING on this set for a couple of months. he paid a grand for the fisk 10????????????

#291355 - 01/02/04 06:42 AM I just don't get it [Re: jackstraw]
estang
(S)uper Collector

That's $4157.40 in one month of bidding on 56 cards. Pro-rate that out into the 660 card set and you're talking about spending ~$28K total.

For $28K I would preferred to have some of those raw NM/MT and Mint 1960s sets that Mr. Mint offered recently, if I had the money.

Money spending is relative, and I'd like to be one of his relatives.

Erik

#291356 - 01/04/04 10:43 PM Re: I just don't get it [Re: estang]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Hello Guys.
I had to chime in here. Jeff is the poster-child certification # buyer. PSA says "jump" and he says "how high can I bid". If he lands nice cards it's by accident. The seller of the Carew posted the card in his set and then on eBay with a high price tag to bait this poor fellow. He must've seen someone else do it the week before with another higher-ticket card...a Fisk, I believe it was. Now, who was the guy who supplied that Fisk...

All I can say is that the ORIGINAL holder of that Fisk card was much happier with his 9 and saw the way Jeff was spending and thought it would be great to have Jeff finance the rest of his '77 set-building efforts.

Jeff has taught me patience and ego-control. Through wonderful coaching from friends and fellow collectors, I have been able to allow him to outbid me at outlandish prices for cards I needed and have picked up the next copy I've found at a fraction of the cost. This was a valuable lesson.

I'd try to bid that Fidrych up to the moon, but I'd be scared I'd actually win that ugly overgraded thing. I think he bought nicer copies of that card raw in the past couple of weeks on eBay.

Estang, he's spent WAY more than that. How about a 63-card bulk PSA 9 lot for 25 a pop? Another 70-card job at 30 a pop. Heck, I sold him well over a grand worth of duplicates myself. When you solely purchase your cards already graded from predominately bulk PSA submitters (as I have learned first-hand) you wind up with an extremely expensive, unattractive set on the whole. That is going to be SOME fire-sale when he wakes up with 20k worth of CC debt and unloads.

I truly believe that, whenever possible, MONSTER-looking sets are built brick-by-brick by discerning collectors who understand the issue they collect. They know what each card is capable of and exhibit a keen sense of what the factory limitations are. Across the board, the best-looking sets you'll find are submitted first-hand by educated set-builders. I used to think it was a race...now I know better.

I never understood Matthew (Vayank). I could FINISH his set for him TODAY in 86 or better-and pretty nice-lookin' to boot--I offered him the cards two years ago it seems. What I failed to realize is that he's enjoying the ride. He doesn't want my raw cards. It's too easy for him, I guess. He's conscious of what he spends and is enjoying the set-building experience. My conclusions are that Jeff is the "Anti-Yank", and doing it the best way...
77s

#291357 - 01/05/04 07:20 AM Re: I just don't get it [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Quote:

Hello Guys.
I had to chime in here. Jeff is the poster-child certification # buyer. PSA says "jump" and he says "how high can I bid". If he lands nice cards it's by accident. The seller of the Carew posted the card in his set and then on eBay with a high price tag to bait this poor fellow. He must've seen someone else do it the week before with another higher-ticket card...a Fisk, I believe it was. Now, who was the guy who supplied that Fisk...

All I can say is that the ORIGINAL holder of that Fisk card was much happier with his 9 and saw the way Jeff was spending and thought it would be great to have Jeff finance the rest of his '77 set-building efforts.

Jeff has taught me patience and ego-control. Through wonderful coaching from friends and fellow collectors, I have been able to allow him to outbid me at outlandish prices for cards I needed and have picked up the next copy I've found at a fraction of the cost. This was a valuable lesson.

I'd try to bid that Fidrych up to the moon, but I'd be scared I'd actually win that ugly overgraded thing. I think he bought nicer copies of that card raw in the past couple of weeks on eBay.

Estang, he's spent WAY more than that. How about a 63-card bulk PSA 9 lot for 25 a pop? Another 70-card job at 30 a pop. Heck, I sold him well over a grand worth of duplicates myself. When you solely purchase your cards already graded from predominately bulk PSA submitters (as I have learned first-hand) you wind up with an extremely expensive, unattractive set on the whole. That is going to be SOME fire-sale when he wakes up with 20k worth of CC debt and unloads.

I truly believe that, whenever possible, MONSTER-looking sets are built brick-by-brick by discerning collectors who understand the issue they collect. They know what each card is capable of and exhibit a keen sense of what the factory limitations are. Across the board, the best-looking sets you'll find are submitted first-hand by educated set-builders. I used to think it was a race...now I know better.

Good to hear from you, 77. I am surprised by RSJ's prices, but it's hard for me to characterize them because I do not know his financial situation. If he can afford it, then what the heck? I wouldn't pay it, but if these amounts are trifles to him...

One thing to remember: One person's famine is another person's feast. I purchased many of my quality commons already SGC slabbed for the price of grading alone. You can't beat that if you are building a slabbed set.

77 also had some good observations about my set building. And I would like to offer some perspectives. Later on, I'll post them in my SGC 1977 thread.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.