Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#30000 - 11/24/02 08:09 AM The Chicago Sun-Times show
Anonymous Unregistered

As I live in the greater Chicagoland area, I attend the major local shows. The Sun-Times show was this weekend (11/22 to 11/24) and was the first major show following the creation of SGC's registry. SGC was set up on-site so it was their first good opportunity to get the attention of a lot of people who may not know of their registry.

I was interested in talking to SGC about how they plan to promote the registry and provide sufficient liquidity and demand so I could justify continuing my set in SGC holders. The way I build my graded sets is to submit my own cards for my set and submit duplicates which I then trade off to fill other holes in my set. I supplement this with occasional eBay purchases. So for me, trading partners are more important than liqudity. At the same time, without liquidity you can forget getting cards from dealers who won't submit/sell SGC cards if they are can't get a reasonable return.

The SGC booth had NOTHING mentioning their registry. No banners. . .no computer to provide demonstrations. . .no pamphlets. . .no nothing! In the end, I chose not to even talk to them. The complete absence of anything promoting their registry told me what I needed to know. It told me that they don't seem interested in promoting their product and registry enough to give me the trading partners which I depend on to build my set. Further, the lack of promotion does nothing to help dealers see that there is a market for SGC-graded cards - which I also depend on.

Since SGC doesn't seem willing to help give me what I need to make a graded set viable in their holder, I really can't justify continuing my 79 set in their holders. Over time, they should expect to get 50+ tags back so they can make the necessary adjustments to their pop report.

Mike Castaldi

#30001 - 11/24/02 08:30 AM Re: The Chicago Sun-Times show
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

It's a shame we can't more patient with judgements. SGC has been very responsive regarding the registry, making adjustments and corrections as needed. They've demonstrated responsiveness in marketing with their specials for the registry. Your specifc suggestions have been acted on as well, so it's unfortunate you declined to speak to them directly. Maybe they made a mistake and could've gotten a kick in the pants sooner. Maybe the baggage with the promo stuff got lost. Maybe there's somethng we didn't think of.

In any case, sorry to hear of your decision. You are a loyal, regular poster on the other Board and was the very surprised and pleased to see you so seriously considering building a SGC set. Too good to be true

#30002 - 11/24/02 11:11 AM Re: The Chicago Sun-Times show [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

Matthew> I'm still open to the idea. But I'm to the point where SGC must convince me with ACTIONS not simply posts on a forum that they are intent on addressing my prerequisites(mentioned previously) for slabbing a 727-card set in their holders. To this point, that has not happened. Given my observations at Chicago, they hadn't done enough yet to merit conversation on the topic. I would also have hoped that a professional organization would have thought through some of these things on their own. In short, I feel they have generally blown their first opportunity to interface directly with collectors and inform them of their registry. I feel they wasted a significant marketing opportunity.

In fact, circumstance has bought SGC additional time to sell me on the viability of building a set in their holders on my terms. This weekend, I chose to work on my 1978 set in the other guys' holders before moving on to my 1979s. So in the meantime, SGC must convince me. . .

I'm still open to the idea, but given the lack of marketing prowess SGC has shown Ito this point 'm not holding my breath. My patience is finite, after all.

Mike

#30003 - 11/24/02 12:21 PM Re: The Chicago Sun-Times show
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

I can definitely understand your disappointment. I'm sure I would have been looking forward to talking to the SGC guys about the registry also. On a positive note, the new December issue of Beckett Vintage features a full page ad about SGC's registry. Maybe it's a sign of what's to come from SGC. So far, they seem to respond to what they hear from their customers.
#30004 - 11/26/02 07:47 AM Re: The Chicago Sun-Times show [Re: chuckster]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

77's,

How was the red man quality and quantity?

Did you see much of anything worth reporting?

aconte

#30005 - 11/26/02 12:45 PM Re: The Chicago Sun-Times show [Re: aconte]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I'm also curious on what the state of the vintage card market was at the Sun-Times show. Anyone who went willing to give some observations?

Thanks

#30006 - 11/26/02 01:11 PM Re: The Chicago Sun-Times show [Re: stanthemanfan]
Anonymous Unregistered

Stan> In general, I was pretty disappointed. Where the focus of National seemed to be on high-quality ungraded material, the Sun-Times show was really lacking in this regard. I didn't even go on Sunday and didn't feel like I missed anything.

The other thing that struck me is that it's really a buyer's market out there, but for the most part the prices didn't reflect that. Maybe in time, the show circuit will be more reflective of the larger market forces.

Mike

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.