Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>
Topic Options
#309166 - 02/07/04 06:37 AM Re: Not a big deal but... [Re: estang]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

Erik,

I'm surprised that you're surprised that I'm surprised. Doesn't Pepsi approach Coke's biggest fountain customers? doesn't Halliburton approach Schlumberger's largest customers? So what if Joe Orlando knows that Sean approached me???

I agree--this would not be a one-off deal for another company. They should promote it with considerable fanfare. Take out advertising in scd, becketts and the smr(ha!) to try to promote other crossovers and new submissions.

Jim

#309167 - 02/07/04 07:27 AM Re: Not a big deal but... [Re: Davalillo1]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Jim,

You make a good counter-point to my point about SGC or antoher company approaching you instead of you contacting them. Although big business analogies like you made and especially the IT industry cross my mind, I don't correlate as strongly as you do with PSA to SGC, PSA to GAI, PSA to BVG or vice-versa.

I think the difference is that these "big business" analogies are usually involving a company contacting another company that is either distributing their product/service (Sony to Best Buy or Nabisco to Target/Wall-Mart) or a company contacting a company to use its product/service over a competitor (UPS vs. FedEx going to Wall-Mart for shipping or IBM vs. Dell to Nabisco for IT products/services).

We're talking about a company contacting a private individual to use it product services in an industry where the majority of the companies are privately held and is a niche industry. Sure I get calls from insurance companies for me to switch from them to another or from the gas company. But I think the circumstances and market is different with graded cards.

That said, are you going to make the inquiry to SGC or not? I'm sure Sean, SGC Moderator or someone reads this stuff quickly. I'd just venture to guess that they won't contact you based upon my perceived sense of business tactics and values that they employ; its just not their style.

Make the call, everyone would be interested. Aren't you? Or are you really emotionally tied to PSA and just waiting for their leadership to change.

Wouldn't you like to see your mug in hobby publications and highlight your collection in this manner? Perhaps this is the way to instigate the type of changes that you seek in PSA and the hobby.

Erik

#309168 - 02/07/04 07:57 AM Re: Not a big deal but... [Re: estang]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

the chances of sgc doing any type of marketing is slim and none! the chances of jim crossing his collection to sgc is slim and none! the chances of jim being here if gai had a message board are slim and none! if jim chooses to cross over his collection and his future submissions will go to gai and not stay home in his home state? jim lives in new jersey and sgc is in new jersey so tack on another liability when it comes to taxes.i cant imagine that sgc doesn't charge sales tax to same state residents?

#309169 - 02/07/04 08:30 AM Re: Not a big deal but... [Re: jackstraw]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Well said Bouffard -- on all counts. IMHO, Dav uses these boards just to stir up the pot across the street. I do not believe he has any interest in SGC -- and uses this board for his own purposes.

Dav, the only thing stranger that the way Joe O. conducts business via the CU board is your addiction to PSA slabs. If you are that unhappy, vote with your feet...or adress the issue head-on with a phone call -- don't come over here and whine about your issues with PSA.

#309170 - 02/07/04 11:10 AM Re: Not a big deal but... [Re: srs1a]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

Bouffard and SRS,

Not that clear.I have not yet seriously thought about crossing over part or all of collection to GAI or PSA.

I think highly of the new SGC. I also think highly of GAI. I had been hopeful that by raising issues that PSA would become a better company. That does not seem likely with the current president but perhaps recent dealer buzz that he is on thin ice is correct.

Its a big decision for me to cross over--one that I do not take lightly. I like the registry and would like to fulfill my goal of over 100 complete vintage sets in psa 8 or better....but there are counterarguments too.

Jim(Davalillo)

#309171 - 02/07/04 12:50 PM Re: Not a big deal but... [Re: Davalillo1]
KLL
Hobbyist

Well maybe SGC should be a little more aggressive regarding the possible cross over of Dav's important card collection. I think it would be smart business for them to cross over the collection at no cost.

It is my opinion that SGC has has blown numerous market chances over the years. I will beat this drum again. Very few major high-end vintage dealers are in the SGC family of dealers. The market they have missed is the 1950's-1960's NM and better market. This is a great chance with this collection to correct that mistake. A high profile collector upset with his treatment by the industry leader and a high profile collection finding a better home with the best grading firm. A match made in heaven.

This would be great for SGC, all the buyers of SGC cards and would create a need for dealers to supply those cards to these collectors. It is very obvious that one company, GAI, has used this model to create demand for their product. GAI has a handful of significant collections to point to. What does SGC have? I still believe that the innovative ideas that GAI has brought to the market place (Packs/auto/cards), they will soon replace SGC as the #2 source for vintage items.

If I were SGC, I would reach out to Dav in a hurry!

#309172 - 02/07/04 01:09 PM Re: Not a big deal but... [Re: KLL]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

you said it best. the chances of sgc actually going after jim's collection slim and none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i also think there is plenty of time to grab a share of the late 80's to present day stuff. i am sure there will be a few collectors trying to complete a lebron james rookie card collection in sgc holders.the over under on the amount of different lebron rookies right now is 2049.

#309173 - 02/07/04 05:47 PM Answer the question Dav! [Re: jackstraw]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Are you going to contact SGC or not?? I hold firm that it is bad practice and likely will not occur if your waiting for the call.

I'm beginning to think like Bouffard stated, you're here for an outlet to the PSA board and will use what occurs here to your benefit back there.

At least answer the question. Don't be so evasive.

Erik

#309174 - 02/07/04 06:44 PM Re: Answer the question Dav! [Re: estang]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Let Jim make his own decision...why do people insist that he provides an answer now.....is it really any of our business anyways?

If he calls SGC fine or not fine as far as Im concerned...its his cards...its his money.

Just my opinion.

John

#309175 - 02/07/04 07:01 PM Re: Answer the question Dav! [Re: Basilone]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Insistent, no. Persistent, yes. I've been reluctant to make the comment, but I think it strikes me as arrogant to think that SGC or another company in this industry should reach out to him to make some type of deal.

SGC would be better served getting dealers to submit to them, as opposed to end collectors.

Well I guess it's OK not to answer my direct questions. Anyway, I've changed my post and lightened up. You'll find me and Denny Green on the high road...

Edited by estang (02/07/04 07:17 PM)

Erik

Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.