Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#31775 - 11/29/02 08:28 AM Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards?
estang
(S)uper Collector

Personally I believe it would be a big improvement and sway me to slab more cards in an SGC holder. Overall, I prefer the BVG holder & their sub-grading. I don't prefer their high grading prices.

SGC could pummel the rest with sub-grading corners, edges, surface, and centering. The one other thing would be to have an inner-sleeve to protect the card, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. They'd have to redo the black framed insert (looks like that thing would affect the card over time).

Enjoy your collection!

Erik

Erik

#31776 - 11/29/02 08:53 AM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: estang]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Yes, I would. Sub grades would enhance my understanding of the grades and imporve my pre-grading.

#31777 - 11/29/02 09:11 AM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: vayank]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

I would love to see the addition of sub grades. I am also a former Beckett customer. And, just like Erik, the main reason I switched is price. I think both Beckett and SGC do a fine job grading, and I like their holders about the same. SGC also offers some great specials. I'm definitely sticking with SGC, and sub grades would be a nice addition to an already great service.
-Chuck

#31778 - 11/29/02 02:04 PM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: chuckster]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Guys,
With all due respect...comparing Becketts grading expertise and SGC's makes the whole board sound like goons. To compare Derek's group with any part of the beckett outfit is ridiculous. SGC really has it all over Beckett and you'd be very welcomed as permanent submitters. You'll find a fairly consistent standard that will enable you to submit with confidence once you learn the ropes. No, I don't need subgrades...I wouldn't mind them, but it isn't neccessary for me. I typically have a pretty good idea where my cards get whacked. Now, with PSA subgrades would be nice. Like Beckett, they're pretty random sometimes. That way we wouldn't have to hand our cards back and say "Why????"

E, I love the Bostock card. I saw his last game before his untimely death. At the Old Comiskey...he was a spectacular player and that card is gorgeous. On a strange note, I was at Comiskey for Thurman's final game as well...spooky.
Here's some trivia, what position did Munson play that final night?

#31779 - 11/29/02 03:21 PM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

[Note to self: never play softball with 77 in the crowd]

#31780 - 11/30/02 07:38 AM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I agree with 77's. I prefer not to go with subgrades. It reminds me to much
of Beckett. Regardless of the benefits I rather stay the course and keep
things the way they are.

Strange coincidence by the way 77's. Very strange indeed!

aconte

#31781 - 11/30/02 08:08 AM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: aconte]
remo
Collector

Loc: washington state

I also agree i think if you subgrade its more like beckett as already mentioned.I think the 1/2 grades keeps sgc unique from the rest.

#31782 - 11/30/02 04:41 PM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

I agrre Beckett is hard to figure out. Its like the surface grades are totally hit or miss. Also, I don't need the subgrades.
Do you think SGC will offer subsets like 1976 Reds or 1972-74 A's, etc?

#31783 - 12/02/02 01:15 AM Re: Would you like to see sub-grading on SGC cards? [Re: estang]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I hate subgrades. You get bozo's saying how tough Beckett's is when they give a card a 2.5 when the subgrades average out to a 6 -- but, the corners are a 2!

It doesn't seem that hard to figure out -- send in a few test cards (the time is right now with the registry special) and learn how they beat you up for corners, centering, etc. If your eyes are faltering from old age (like mine) a 10X glass is probably required for corners.

SS

#31784 - 12/02/02 02:28 AM Thanks for the replies...going with SGC [Re: estang]
Anonymous Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to send in about 40 cards from my personal baseball & football collection in to SGC for grading due to their special pricing, quality and word-of-mouth service. A board like this is very nice extra and to think that SGC reads and replies, well...that's just fantastic!

Although I can tell why a card gets graded the way it does, I do like the sub-grading. Sub-grading actually is very misleading when you are grading cards that are below EX. A gem or 9 centering is irrelevant when corners are rounded or creasing exists.

I've decided that I will use Beckett for my super top-notch (8.5 or 9) Vikings & Rod Carew cards from the 60s & 70s. The rest of the time, I will use SGC.

77, thanks for the interesting note about Bostock. That card is actually slabbed in a BVG holder. It is an 8.5, the highest and only of that card graded. I have a 77 Carew in BVG 9.

I'd say that Munson played first base and like vayank, I don't want to see you on the sidelines.

Enjoy your collection!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.