Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#338522 - 02/13/04 12:22 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: MW1]
Captain_Pike
Collector is an understatement.

I only collect modern baseball cards (Bowman Chrome products)...sheet cut cards are really not a problem.
Regarding (70s and 80s) OPC uncut sheets, I still consider these sheet cut cards legitimate.
Someone on another MB posted a possible scenario...Topps would purchase ALL of OPC's inventory of vintage uncut sheets. Cut them to size and insert the VINTAGE cards into MODERN Topps products (i.e. Topps Heritage).
Would any VINTAGE collector consider these cards as TRIMMED?

#338523 - 02/13/04 03:17 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: Captain_Pike]
MW1
veteran

Quote:

Someone on another MB posted a possible scenario...Topps would purchase ALL of OPC's inventory of vintage uncut sheets. Cut them to size and insert the VINTAGE cards into MODERN Topps products (i.e. Topps Heritage).

Would any VINTAGE collector consider these cards as TRIMMED?

I understand what you're arguing here, but I'm not sure this is a realistic scenario. First, I don't think a major manufacturer would do this (generally, they accumulate vintage cards through a buyback policy) and second, O-Pee-Chee (I believe) is no longer in business. Their inventory of uncut sheets has already been disseminated throughout the hobby. I suppose a company could attempt to purchase uncut sheets on the secondary market and chop them up, but I don't think hobbyists would view this process as beneficial to the hobby. But who knows? Maybe collectors of modern cards are somewhat more likely to accept sheet cut cards than vintage collectors.

#338524 - 02/13/04 04:39 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: MW1]
MW1
veteran

The perfect example of what we've been discussing:

Link to eBay auction - Gem Mint 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Gretzky

How do others view this card? It would seem from the price that the seller is trying to convey the thought that this card is just as legitimate as a card from a wax box. From my experience, I can tell you that factory issued 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Gretzkys in Gem Mint condition with perfect edges simply do not exist. I've seen quite a few of these over the years (thousands) and I'm familiar with both the first and second printings. Yes, some OPC Gretzky rookies have more of a smooth cut than others, but no factory issued card has perfect edges -- at least none that I have seen.

#338525 - 02/13/04 05:18 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: MW1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

i have seen a few hundred myself and never seen one that sharp and perfectly centered to boot i for one can't believe that beckett doesn't know that this stuff is going on and they still do nothing about it? mw you got that kind coin? if so tell him you will give him 75,000 if it grades an sgc 98

#338526 - 02/13/04 05:35 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: jackstraw]
Captain_Pike
Collector is an understatement.

I remember D&A selling the BGS9.5 Gretzky RC (BGS holder, BVG serial number), but I can't recall the amount?
Whether the Gretzky RC is from a pack/sheet-cut...I would have to examine the card in person.
It's a nice card

#338527 - 02/13/04 05:46 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: Captain_Pike]
MW1
veteran

I believe at one time that either D&A or the person who "found" the card made a claim that the card came from a wax pack. Later, they backed off of the claim. One way to tell the pack issued varieties from those that were removed from a sheet is by examining the blue portion of the card (only pertinent to the OPC cards with smoother cuts). On the pack issued varieties, there is a slight after image that extends slightly above and slightly below the white stripe on the right side of the card. If I get a chance, I'll post an image of what I'm talking about.
#338528 - 02/13/04 05:52 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: Captain_Pike]
MW1
veteran

Not to be too critical, but take a look at the centering on the BVG 9.5 Gretzky. I know from experience that Beckett is pretty strict with respect to BOTH the front and back centering. Isn't this card pretty close to 70/30 on the reverse? The 9.5 centering subgrade doesn't seem to make sense. Comments?
#338529 - 02/13/04 06:25 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: MW1]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

MW...I believe the Beckett requirements for centering on a 9.5 card is as follows:

50/50 one side on front
55/45 one side on front (or better)

60/40 on the back.

In examining the card, it looks too close to call. But I don't have the greatest eyesight in the world to begin with. But centering on this card would be the least of my concerns. Any 9.5 OPC card arouses my suspicion immediately. Those edges are just too sharp for an OPC card. I've never seen an OPC card as sharp as that one.

Edited: I know he's asking a ridiculous price, but let's say for fun the card is not sheet cut and he was offering it for 1/5 of the asking price (20K). I'd rather have your Vezina card over the modern Gretzky for the same price.

I have dreams about that card....hmmm, vezina, hmmm, burger!

Edited by grilloj39 (02/13/04 06:31 PM)

#338530 - 02/13/04 06:44 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: grilloj39]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Grilloj39,

I think 20k would be a ridiculous price. Even if that card we not sheet
cut, would there be that much of a difference to an 8.5? You could buy
a lot of nice vintage with the leftover $$$.

I'd like to see the scans that MW1 is refering to that can help spotting the
different versions.

aconte

#338531 - 02/13/04 06:50 PM Re: What about sheet-cut cards? [Re: aconte]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

i still love that joliet postcard!come on mw show us that picture.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.