Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3396 - 08/25/02 07:40 AM How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word?
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Guys,

What are your ideas? SGC is the #1 company for consistent and accurate grading. Its brand is gaining acceptance in the marketplace.

And I think we all, or at least many, would that more needs to be done to market the SGC product. I know I look forward to the day when SGC markets its service with the same skill as they grade cards.

I have my own thoughts, but I would like hear others first. I know SGC will read and take action on the worthy ideas we mention. Post your ideas!

#3397 - 08/25/02 12:31 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

i say keep doing what they are doing... cant get better then the best...

only addition i would see is possibly putting seperate grades for each of the 4 major areas of a card on the back like BGS...ie subgrades like BGS.. thats how bgs got sold on as the harder grader cause now if u want a mint card u could get a 9.0 but everyone started lookin at subgrades and walla.. there was a market within a market for 9.0 bgs and now its thought of as tough grading ...ie "i want a bgs 9.0 with 9s on everything....."

this would be copying though....

but this is how bgs surpassed PSA...by subgrade showing that like our friend says... NOT ALL 9s ARE CREATED EQUAL!!!!!!!!!

understand???

#3398 - 08/27/02 02:50 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Lothar52]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

1) They should plug this message Board in their weekly emails once a month.

Edited by vayank (08/27/02 02:51 PM)

#3399 - 08/27/02 05:04 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

but this is how bgs surpassed PSA...
--I'm not sure if bgs "supassed" anything, let alone PSA.

I'll chime in some ideas over the next week or so, but for now I think SGC should hire Matthew

Edited by 77s (08/28/02 02:24 AM)

#3400 - 08/30/02 03:42 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier

Here's one thought... They should "get in bed" with a major auction house and make their slabs more visable to catalog buyers. Easier said than done, but sorely needed. Bottom line is, right now, if you are going to have your cards graded with hopes of selling, the money is in PSA. If you're buying, it then makes sense to buy SGC. Only an unenlightened fool would assert that SGC's grading is inferior to PSA's, but likewise, same could be said of someone claiming SGC's raps (realized auction prices) are stronger. Even the most ardent PSA supporters admit that SGC is viable for grading. A common phrase is "for the stuff I intend to keep I use SGC..."
SGC has more consistent standards, more attractive holders, friendlier (actually humble) staff, no conflicts of interest, integrity...about the only thing I really don't like about SGC is the FedXpress delivery...still very few put their sets in their holder

I think back to a line I told my coaching staff last spring when faced with the challenge of our young team:

"It's gonna be hard to take a group of followers and make them think like leaders"
That job is now SGC's. They must change the way PSA's loyalists think.
Real, real tough.

#3401 - 09/01/02 03:30 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

77 >

I think you are correct. Co-branding is very important. That's why I liked their relationship with Upper Deck, which obviously has lasped. Why not offer to grade 500, 1,000 or 5,000 Bowman Chrome cards for free with a minimum grade of 92, thereby rejecting any card lower. Find those high end brands and partner with them.

How about doing partnering with Topps to do buy back grading. Topps has recently bought back vintage cards to reinsert in current sets. Why not offer the grade these vintage cards for free? That would be a good way to get the SGC brand out there.

I understand these have costs to SGC. It would be money well invested IMHO....

Obviously, we are both partial to 77 topps. But when you think of it, these are vastly undercollected sets. Other than '71, the whole decade is underappreciated. SGC should move aggressively into this market. Attack it! Offer specials whatever -- but get those cards into SGC slabs and let the see saw tip into SGC direction....

Edited by vayank (09/01/02 03:33 PM)

#3402 - 09/01/02 03:49 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier

Yank, Now you're talking!, Because the last post is typically what people look at when browsing, I repeat... They should "get in bed" with a major auction house and make their slabs more visable to catalog buyers. Easier said than done, but sorely needed. Bottom line is, right now, if you are going to have your cards graded with hopes of selling, the money is in PSA. If you're buying, it then makes sense to buy SGC. Only an unenlightened fool would assert that SGC's grading is inferior to PSA's, but likewise, same could be said of someone claiming SGC's raps (realized auction prices) are stronger. Even the most ardent PSA supporters admit that SGC is viable for grading. A common phrase is "for the stuff I intend to keep I use SGC..."
SGC has more consistent standards, more attractive holders, friendlier (actually humble) staff, no conflicts of interest, integrity...about the only thing I really don't like about SGC is the FedXpress delivery...still very few put their sets in their holder

I think back to a line I told my coaching staff last spring when faced with the challenge of our young team:

"it's gonna be hard to take a group of followers and make them think like leaders" That job is now SGC's. They must change the way PSA's loyalists think. Real, real tough.
"All 9's are not created equal..."

#3403 - 09/19/02 08:50 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

#1 SGC can promote their new Set Registry by offering deep discount grading to anyone with an SGC Registerd set and only on cards for that set. Make the fee less than the current bulk fee (say $3-$4 per card 25 card Minmum) with a 10 day turnaround. That would (A) increase the number of SGC commons on the market, (B) create a buzz as people who normally wouldn't grade cards, wouldn't be able to resist at these prices, (C) have people register their sets to take advantage of the grading special, and (D) maybe even sway some of the PSA diehards.

#2 Offer more specials based on price rather than turnaround times

#3 Form alliances with premium brand products. "SGC the official grader of SP Authentic"

#4 Weekly Contests with free grading or SGC cards as prizes.

That's all I can come up with for now.

#3404 - 09/19/02 05:59 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
downgoesfrazier

Fabfrank,
You're dead-on! Great post!
Gentleman, we have an intelligent life form among us...
77s

#3405 - 09/20/02 11:09 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

In reply to:

Gentleman, we have an intelligent life form among us...

There goes the neighborhood.

#3406 - 09/20/02 11:43 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: deadlyembrace]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Word of mouth is also very important, in person and on chat boards. Never want to be a shill, never want to dump on SGC unnecessarily, especially when it is essentially unsolicited.

DE is right on with a registry special, though I understand the desire to give specials on turnaround, while maintaining a price that has margin for them. Still, you want to get those cards and commons into SGC slabs.

#3407 - 09/24/02 08:20 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

VaYank- The bottom line is that for the registry to work, you are going to need an inventory of cards out in the market to collect. If there is no supply, there will be no collectors. Forget the profit margin on set registry. SGC is already way behind PSA and needs to catch up fast. The quickest way to do that is through price right now. If I'm faced with a choice to grade my commons @ $5 per card through PSA or @ $5 per card thru SGC, I'm picking PSA. I know there is an established market for those cards.
If SGC says they'll grade them for $4 per card ($3 on bulk) than I have to go with SGC. Worse case scenario, PSA diehards would buy the cards for crossover. Best case scenario for me (and SGC) is that the population increases, thus creating some demand.
As a collector, and someone who wants to build a few SGC Registered sets, I need to know that there will be SGC cards available so that I can complete those sets.
Once SGC gets by this hurdle, it's nowhere but up. SGC has better service, free online pop. reports, better holder, easier submission, and supposedly cheaper prices on Ebay.

#3408 - 09/24/02 08:25 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word?
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Vayank- That last post was mine
#3409 - 09/24/02 10:51 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

FF > Bottom line: Market difficulties aside for a moment --You'd perfer to submit to SGC over PSA. Correct?

#3410 - 09/26/02 02:43 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I've had positive experiences with both companies. I just feel that SGC gives more personal attention whenever I have a question or need something done. I would like to give SGC all my business, but I can't. SGC needs to parlay their strengths into more market share. They also need to do some ORIGINAL marketing, rather than react to another companys ideas.
In this tough market, changing the pricing format for SGC Set Registry participants would be the quickest way to increase market awareness, SGC inventory in the market, and would be an ORIGINAL marketing decision.
SGC made a great move with their pre-screening idea. Combine that with reduced grading fees, slightly more aggressive marketing (something beyond weekly email specials) and they won't be able to keep up with the submissions.

#3411 - 09/27/02 03:03 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I agree completely with Fabfrank -- I came to SGC because PSA's service just plain sucked. In this regard, SGC is a welcome breath of fresh air.

I think that their grading is very competent and consistent, they have a nice holder, etc -- so, I'm happy.

It is my understanding that they are 3rd in the grading market these days -- behind PSA and Becketts..with GAI lurking right over their shoulder. I think that they need to do something to really carve out their market and protect it.

It is my firm belief that PSA owns the market for cards from the 50's and before. I believe GAI is after this same market. I also believe that Beckett's owns the "modern" market -- the only question is when does modern start. I think SGC's real strength is right in between -- cards from the 60's and 70's...and maybe into the early 80's. I would think that they could benefit from specifically targetting this market -- perhaps coupled with the set registry, etc and then see if they can grow their pressence.

Scott

#3412 - 09/27/02 03:42 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Scott --

I agree about the 60 and the 70's in particular. I would add that SGC has a niche in pre-war issues, though I am not an expert in that field.

#3413 - 09/27/02 05:34 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I believe SGC is a solid number 2 in the market. The only way Beckett would be #2 is if you gave credence to their BCCG product (which I don't). As for targeting different years, I disagree. Consistent fair grading will win out every time regardless whether the card is modern or vintage. As I've stated earlier, the way to expand market share in this competitive atmosphere is through strategic partnerships with 1or 2 card companies and through aggressive pricing on grading fees.

#3414 - 09/27/02 06:54 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

FF >>

In this instance, I think we're all right. SGC has to continue its excellence in grading, be aggressive in pricing, co brand or up brand in marketing and I do believe they must look at soft spots in PSA's pop reports, particularly in pre-1981, and kick that door wide open.

Another thing is that SGC collectors and dealers must always publicize their use of SGC -- and make their case for SGC. I look at 1977 Topps. I have been very public with my set building. I enjoy it and I want to share that. I also know that by building my set in a public way it provides a positive way to promote SGC. People think i can do that too, that I am not, or won't be the only one.

I can not help but believe that in some small way, my '77 set building has encouraged more SGC collectors to build and I know for a fact that there a whole heck alot more dealers selling '77t in a sgc slab now.

Of course, I am ranting about we can do as opposed to what SGC can do...

Edited by vayank (09/27/02 07:00 AM)

#3415 - 12/09/02 06:33 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
srs1a

I'm not sure where this post belongs, but it is not too far from the thoughts here...

Over the weekend a large, very high-end auction by dhcards on eBAY finished. The cards were incredible -- more PSA-10's and SGC-98 than you could shake a stick at -- most of them in the late 60's to early 70's.

My interest in in '68's and here are the statistics:

12 PSA-10 commons sold for an average price of $244! The high card went for $510 -- I was stunned.

11 SGC-98 commons sold for an average priceof $113, with the high card going for $254 -- not too shabby, but 2X lower that the PSA-10's.

So, if you believe that the cards are of similar quality (I do), then SGC offers you a better value.

Scott

#3416 - 12/09/02 11:19 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hey Scott ---

In reply to:

So, if you believe that the cards are of similar quality (I do), then SGC offers you a better value.

... if you're the buyer ...

What do you think dhcards' opinion would be on this subject ... ???

#3417 - 12/09/02 04:26 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: deadlyembrace]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

Good point deadlyembrace. I've been on the selling end before. Most of us on this board know that SGC cards are accurately graded. I just hope the hobby realizes it more widely and resell values rise. But if I'm collecting a set I want to hold on to, there are great deals to be had.
#3418 - 12/10/02 12:37 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a

DE,

I am sure he is not very happy at all. And I agree with Chuckster -- I hope that people realize the value of these cards, otherwise, SGC dealers are going to become a thing of the past.

I actually think that the vary large disparity in prices has to due with the cards being GEM. As I look through auction results (again, all '68s), the price difference is much lower (20%-ish) for MINT cards and the prices are just about the same for NM-MT.

I know for a fact that alot of "SGC cracking, resubmit to PSA" is going on -- I know of a couple of major PSA collectors that are doing it (cracking GAI also). I think that this is a reasonable risk for an 8 or a 9...but I don't think anyone in their right mind would crack out a 98 and try to cross it over to a 10...it is just too risky.

There are more than a few really high-end '68 PSA collectors out there...and they are killing eachother for 10's...and balancing risk/reward for 9's (to crack or not to crack?).

Scott

#3419 - 12/10/02 03:11 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

With respect, the purpose of this thread was to suggest ways to solve the problem, not to continaully bemoan the problem.

We already know folks are buying the holder, not the card. What do you aall suggest?

#3420 - 12/10/02 05:34 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
srs1a

With even more respect,

These posts are simply market data and several people's interpretation of the data. It isn't moaning, it is just data.

What does the market say about later issue cards (say 1977)? Are similar things in play there, or does it look different? If different markets are behaving differently, then perhaps we can figure it out and have a clue how to better approach the generic problem.

Scott

#3421 - 12/10/02 03:50 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
chuckster
Hobbyist

I agree with many of the ideas mentioned early in this thread to promote SGC. They must keep up the high level of service and accuracy, and aggressive specials will definitely make a difference with many submitters (including myself). I've noticed a fair amount of advertising, which is a good sign. I haven't been to any shows where SGC was present, but anytime you are face to face with potential customers there is an opportunity to impress. If more collectors just try SGC for whatever reason, I believe that many would be won over. I have no problems with the other two major graders, I'm just satisfied with SGC. Anyway, just echoing some other folks' points that I happen to agree with.
#3422 - 12/10/02 11:21 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: chuckster]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

The way to approach the question is like this: SGC is a superior grading operation with great pricing and excellent customer service. Re-sale prices trail PSA and that affects dealers who may submit; secondly, SGC is a small business with resources appropriate to that size. Given those level of resources in a market with tighter margins ($ per card in the door), this small business has added a price guide, a message board, a pop report and a registry for free. As noted, specials and advertising have also increased. They need to bolster their efforts at major shows. Moving forward, what next should SGC do?

Play madison avenue and play marketing executive and post your ideas here.

#3423 - 12/11/02 02:32 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I was at the Ft. Washington show last friday night. They had a sign advertising
the set registry and they were going to do a demonstration on Saturday
of the Sgc set registry. I was not able to go Saturday but from the looks of
it they are beginning to advertise and even demo their product.

I consider that a positive.

aconte

#3424 - 12/21/02 05:36 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: aconte]
chuckster
Hobbyist

As far as the registry goes, rewarding collectors for reaching milestones with their set building could be a good attention-getter. An idea: receive free gradings when you reach 50% set completion and upon completion (or close to completion). The number of free gradings could be based on the size of the particular set. I know this may not bring thousands of people at once, but it would be a nice perk for loyal set-building customers. And it would show that SGC is really proactive in promoting set building and it's registry. It would also be a nice advertising tool in promoting the registry.
#3425 - 12/22/02 04:05 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: chuckster]
srs1a

I love it chuckster!
#3426 - 12/22/02 06:21 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
aconte

I like it too.

aconte

#3427 - 12/23/02 03:29 AM Top ideas off the top of my head [Re: srs1a]
estang
(S)uper Collector

1. Continue their grading special past Jan 31st to gain more customers
2. Promote their grading special on ebay for those searching for cards, in the weekly SCD, and at major card shows
3. Create registry by team & player.
4. Create grading incentive program for those looking to complete major brand graded sets based upon % completed. The incentives could be grading coupons, recognition on web site or recognition in their advertisements.
5. Create sub-grades on the back of their holder that compliments the hologram. This is much much needed for SGC to garner further advantage from PSA & GAI, while allowing them to compete from a holder perspective with Beckett
6. Probably need to partner up exclusively with some large collectors/dealers to influx the secondary market with their product.
7. Continue their excellent customer service
8. Flexible shipping alternatives to help consumer reduce cost
9. Grading specials for teams that win WS, SB, or championship that must be noted on your submission form (promo).
10. Continue their grading special past Jan 31st

Erik

#3428 - 12/23/02 06:31 AM Re: Top ideas off the top of my head [Re: estang]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Perhaps SGC should marry the set registry specials to the set you have registered. I have a '77 set registered, maybe the $5/30 day thing would be my special for building my set.. Of course, my other submissions would still qualify for SGC's other specials -- Newsletter 10% off etc....

#3429 - 12/23/02 06:39 AM Atlantic City National [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

I think Seano and the whole SGC team needs to circle the '03 Atlantic City National on their day planners. New Jersey is SGC's home turf. Many of their best customers are in the greater area, certainly within driving distance. SGC needs to be the total package -- marketing, attention getting, reaching out to their base customers. The world is coming to their house, the world should know it is their HOUSE. Plenty of time to plan for it, plenty of time to think on it....

#3430 - 12/23/02 06:40 AM Re: Top ideas off the top of my head [Re: estang]
aconte

Estang,

I like your number 3 idea. I might do a team or player set in Sgc holders some
day.

I'm not a fan of number 5. I can't stand Beckett and this reminds me too
much of Beckett. I'm fine with the grading as it is. I don't need information
on the back of the holder. If I got a question that my eyes can't answer
I let the experts look at it.

So good or bad let's not copy Beckett.

aconte

#3431 - 12/23/02 10:38 AM Re: Top ideas off the top of my head [Re: aconte]
SGCRULES
Learning the Ropes

Loc: Little Rock, Arkansas

I hope they do continue the grading special or I am afraid my grading dollars will be spent elsewhere. I can buy most of what I collect for about the charge for grading.

Billy

#3432 - 01/12/03 02:04 AM National [Re: SGCRULES]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

I hope the SGC brain trust is focusing on the need to maximize the enormous opportunity presented by the Atlantic City National. It being their backyard, they will not have the staging costs of a mid-west or west National. The saved cost should be a head start for their maketing budget.

#3433 - 01/12/03 04:58 AM Re: National [Re: vayank]
aconte

VaYank,

I know most of forum54 contains Sgc supporters but I thought you and
others who have not seen this might find this interesting read.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1042306343&lp=1042393463

Maybe with the Registry and the upcoming National in A.C., Sgc will
continue to spread the word. I think they are doing fine. For me the
key is and always will be to grade consistently and accurately. All the
other stuff is ok too.

aconte

#3434 - 01/12/03 06:29 AM Re: National [Re: aconte]
srs1a

aconte,

interesting reading, indeed. could you give me a little more background on this board?

thanks!

Scott

#3435 - 01/12/03 07:00 AM Re: National [Re: srs1a]
aconte

srs1a,

This board mainly focuses on discussing pre-war baseball cards. Topics
include e-cards, t-cards, grading companies, pre-war auctions, old judges,
ebay, old time players, and a variety of other old baseball topics. It makes
for some good reading. I don't really contribute much since my knowledge
of most topics discussed is limited. I've been following that board
for some time.

They also post a thread to buy, sell, and trade cards. And topics do
get repeated every so often.

aconte

#3436 - 01/13/03 12:52 AM Re: National [Re: aconte]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hey aconte --

Thanks for posting that link to a Network54 thread. I'd never heard of it. I checked it out last night, set up an account and spent lots of hours reading.

What a gold mine of card discussion!! Especially if you're into pre-war cards ...

#3437 - 01/13/03 06:42 AM Why I will not buy PSA graded cards [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

1. Their grading is inconsistent. I recall going to the national a few years ago and looking at a complet set of 1986/87 Fleer basketball cards all graded PSA 10. The majority of the cards had white on the corners or edges. I had no intention of buying the cards, but inquired whether the dealer thought they were 10s. He just smiled & said that's what they got. That was one of my 1st experiences with graded cards and at the time, PSA was basically it.

2. Reading that PSA gives preferential treatment to dealers. I think that this must be supported from my first point relating to the fleer basketball set. The buzz is out there and even if it is false, it turns me off.

3. Ugly holders that don't protect the cards. Beckett is superior in their card holders with the thickness and inner sleeve. That ugly arse red frame and font combined with shaking the holder as the card bounces around is just cheap. I'm still not sure what the black foam looking frame in the SGC holder is doing to the card, but it doesn't shake around like a PSA. I wouldn't grade my cards for free in a PSA holder because I think it diminishes the card from an aesthetic and preservation perspective.

Pretty strong statement, but that is my opinions.

Enjoy your collection!

Erik

#3438 - 02/08/03 12:02 AM SGC and Mastronet
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

I'm sure many of you got the SGC's Mastronet email. This is a good step in the right direction. Derek Grady is to be congratulated bringing Mastronet and SGC together. Just all around good for everyone. Thanks, guys!

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.