Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3406 - 09/20/02 11:43 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: deadlyembrace]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Word of mouth is also very important, in person and on chat boards. Never want to be a shill, never want to dump on SGC unnecessarily, especially when it is essentially unsolicited.

DE is right on with a registry special, though I understand the desire to give specials on turnaround, while maintaining a price that has margin for them. Still, you want to get those cards and commons into SGC slabs.

#3407 - 09/24/02 08:20 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

VaYank- The bottom line is that for the registry to work, you are going to need an inventory of cards out in the market to collect. If there is no supply, there will be no collectors. Forget the profit margin on set registry. SGC is already way behind PSA and needs to catch up fast. The quickest way to do that is through price right now. If I'm faced with a choice to grade my commons @ $5 per card through PSA or @ $5 per card thru SGC, I'm picking PSA. I know there is an established market for those cards.
If SGC says they'll grade them for $4 per card ($3 on bulk) than I have to go with SGC. Worse case scenario, PSA diehards would buy the cards for crossover. Best case scenario for me (and SGC) is that the population increases, thus creating some demand.
As a collector, and someone who wants to build a few SGC Registered sets, I need to know that there will be SGC cards available so that I can complete those sets.
Once SGC gets by this hurdle, it's nowhere but up. SGC has better service, free online pop. reports, better holder, easier submission, and supposedly cheaper prices on Ebay.

#3408 - 09/24/02 08:25 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word?
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Vayank- That last post was mine
#3409 - 09/24/02 10:51 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

FF > Bottom line: Market difficulties aside for a moment --You'd perfer to submit to SGC over PSA. Correct?

#3410 - 09/26/02 02:43 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I've had positive experiences with both companies. I just feel that SGC gives more personal attention whenever I have a question or need something done. I would like to give SGC all my business, but I can't. SGC needs to parlay their strengths into more market share. They also need to do some ORIGINAL marketing, rather than react to another companys ideas.
In this tough market, changing the pricing format for SGC Set Registry participants would be the quickest way to increase market awareness, SGC inventory in the market, and would be an ORIGINAL marketing decision.
SGC made a great move with their pre-screening idea. Combine that with reduced grading fees, slightly more aggressive marketing (something beyond weekly email specials) and they won't be able to keep up with the submissions.

#3411 - 09/27/02 03:03 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I agree completely with Fabfrank -- I came to SGC because PSA's service just plain sucked. In this regard, SGC is a welcome breath of fresh air.

I think that their grading is very competent and consistent, they have a nice holder, etc -- so, I'm happy.

It is my understanding that they are 3rd in the grading market these days -- behind PSA and Becketts..with GAI lurking right over their shoulder. I think that they need to do something to really carve out their market and protect it.

It is my firm belief that PSA owns the market for cards from the 50's and before. I believe GAI is after this same market. I also believe that Beckett's owns the "modern" market -- the only question is when does modern start. I think SGC's real strength is right in between -- cards from the 60's and 70's...and maybe into the early 80's. I would think that they could benefit from specifically targetting this market -- perhaps coupled with the set registry, etc and then see if they can grow their pressence.

Scott

#3412 - 09/27/02 03:42 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Scott --

I agree about the 60 and the 70's in particular. I would add that SGC has a niche in pre-war issues, though I am not an expert in that field.

#3413 - 09/27/02 05:34 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I believe SGC is a solid number 2 in the market. The only way Beckett would be #2 is if you gave credence to their BCCG product (which I don't). As for targeting different years, I disagree. Consistent fair grading will win out every time regardless whether the card is modern or vintage. As I've stated earlier, the way to expand market share in this competitive atmosphere is through strategic partnerships with 1or 2 card companies and through aggressive pricing on grading fees.

#3414 - 09/27/02 06:54 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

FF >>

In this instance, I think we're all right. SGC has to continue its excellence in grading, be aggressive in pricing, co brand or up brand in marketing and I do believe they must look at soft spots in PSA's pop reports, particularly in pre-1981, and kick that door wide open.

Another thing is that SGC collectors and dealers must always publicize their use of SGC -- and make their case for SGC. I look at 1977 Topps. I have been very public with my set building. I enjoy it and I want to share that. I also know that by building my set in a public way it provides a positive way to promote SGC. People think i can do that too, that I am not, or won't be the only one.

I can not help but believe that in some small way, my '77 set building has encouraged more SGC collectors to build and I know for a fact that there a whole heck alot more dealers selling '77t in a sgc slab now.

Of course, I am ranting about we can do as opposed to what SGC can do...

Edited by vayank (09/27/02 07:00 AM)

#3415 - 12/09/02 06:33 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I'm not sure where this post belongs, but it is not too far from the thoughts here...

Over the weekend a large, very high-end auction by dhcards on eBAY finished. The cards were incredible -- more PSA-10's and SGC-98 than you could shake a stick at -- most of them in the late 60's to early 70's.

My interest in in '68's and here are the statistics:

12 PSA-10 commons sold for an average price of $244! The high card went for $510 -- I was stunned.

11 SGC-98 commons sold for an average priceof $113, with the high card going for $254 -- not too shabby, but 2X lower that the PSA-10's.

So, if you believe that the cards are of similar quality (I do), then SGC offers you a better value.

Scott

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.