Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#3436 - 01/13/03 12:52 AM Re: National [Re: aconte]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey aconte --

Thanks for posting that link to a Network54 thread. I'd never heard of it. I checked it out last night, set up an account and spent lots of hours reading.

What a gold mine of card discussion!! Especially if you're into pre-war cards ...

#3437 - 01/13/03 06:42 AM Why I will not buy PSA graded cards [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

1. Their grading is inconsistent. I recall going to the national a few years ago and looking at a complet set of 1986/87 Fleer basketball cards all graded PSA 10. The majority of the cards had white on the corners or edges. I had no intention of buying the cards, but inquired whether the dealer thought they were 10s. He just smiled & said that's what they got. That was one of my 1st experiences with graded cards and at the time, PSA was basically it.

2. Reading that PSA gives preferential treatment to dealers. I think that this must be supported from my first point relating to the fleer basketball set. The buzz is out there and even if it is false, it turns me off.

3. Ugly holders that don't protect the cards. Beckett is superior in their card holders with the thickness and inner sleeve. That ugly arse red frame and font combined with shaking the holder as the card bounces around is just cheap. I'm still not sure what the black foam looking frame in the SGC holder is doing to the card, but it doesn't shake around like a PSA. I wouldn't grade my cards for free in a PSA holder because I think it diminishes the card from an aesthetic and preservation perspective.

Pretty strong statement, but that is my opinions.

Enjoy your collection!

Erik

#3438 - 02/08/03 12:02 AM SGC and Mastronet
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

I'm sure many of you got the SGC's Mastronet email. This is a good step in the right direction. Derek Grady is to be congratulated bringing Mastronet and SGC together. Just all around good for everyone. Thanks, guys!

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.