Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3396 - 08/25/02 07:40 AM How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word?
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Guys,

What are your ideas? SGC is the #1 company for consistent and accurate grading. Its brand is gaining acceptance in the marketplace.

And I think we all, or at least many, would that more needs to be done to market the SGC product. I know I look forward to the day when SGC markets its service with the same skill as they grade cards.

I have my own thoughts, but I would like hear others first. I know SGC will read and take action on the worthy ideas we mention. Post your ideas!

#3397 - 08/25/02 12:31 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

i say keep doing what they are doing... cant get better then the best...

only addition i would see is possibly putting seperate grades for each of the 4 major areas of a card on the back like BGS...ie subgrades like BGS.. thats how bgs got sold on as the harder grader cause now if u want a mint card u could get a 9.0 but everyone started lookin at subgrades and walla.. there was a market within a market for 9.0 bgs and now its thought of as tough grading ...ie "i want a bgs 9.0 with 9s on everything....."

this would be copying though....

but this is how bgs surpassed PSA...by subgrade showing that like our friend says... NOT ALL 9s ARE CREATED EQUAL!!!!!!!!!

understand???

#3398 - 08/27/02 02:50 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Lothar52]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

1) They should plug this message Board in their weekly emails once a month.

Edited by vayank (08/27/02 02:51 PM)

#3399 - 08/27/02 05:04 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

but this is how bgs surpassed PSA...
--I'm not sure if bgs "supassed" anything, let alone PSA.

I'll chime in some ideas over the next week or so, but for now I think SGC should hire Matthew

Edited by 77s (08/28/02 02:24 AM)

#3400 - 08/30/02 03:42 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier

Here's one thought... They should "get in bed" with a major auction house and make their slabs more visable to catalog buyers. Easier said than done, but sorely needed. Bottom line is, right now, if you are going to have your cards graded with hopes of selling, the money is in PSA. If you're buying, it then makes sense to buy SGC. Only an unenlightened fool would assert that SGC's grading is inferior to PSA's, but likewise, same could be said of someone claiming SGC's raps (realized auction prices) are stronger. Even the most ardent PSA supporters admit that SGC is viable for grading. A common phrase is "for the stuff I intend to keep I use SGC..."
SGC has more consistent standards, more attractive holders, friendlier (actually humble) staff, no conflicts of interest, integrity...about the only thing I really don't like about SGC is the FedXpress delivery...still very few put their sets in their holder

I think back to a line I told my coaching staff last spring when faced with the challenge of our young team:

"It's gonna be hard to take a group of followers and make them think like leaders"
That job is now SGC's. They must change the way PSA's loyalists think.
Real, real tough.

#3401 - 09/01/02 03:30 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

77 >

I think you are correct. Co-branding is very important. That's why I liked their relationship with Upper Deck, which obviously has lasped. Why not offer to grade 500, 1,000 or 5,000 Bowman Chrome cards for free with a minimum grade of 92, thereby rejecting any card lower. Find those high end brands and partner with them.

How about doing partnering with Topps to do buy back grading. Topps has recently bought back vintage cards to reinsert in current sets. Why not offer the grade these vintage cards for free? That would be a good way to get the SGC brand out there.

I understand these have costs to SGC. It would be money well invested IMHO....

Obviously, we are both partial to 77 topps. But when you think of it, these are vastly undercollected sets. Other than '71, the whole decade is underappreciated. SGC should move aggressively into this market. Attack it! Offer specials whatever -- but get those cards into SGC slabs and let the see saw tip into SGC direction....

Edited by vayank (09/01/02 03:33 PM)

#3402 - 09/01/02 03:49 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier

Yank, Now you're talking!, Because the last post is typically what people look at when browsing, I repeat... They should "get in bed" with a major auction house and make their slabs more visable to catalog buyers. Easier said than done, but sorely needed. Bottom line is, right now, if you are going to have your cards graded with hopes of selling, the money is in PSA. If you're buying, it then makes sense to buy SGC. Only an unenlightened fool would assert that SGC's grading is inferior to PSA's, but likewise, same could be said of someone claiming SGC's raps (realized auction prices) are stronger. Even the most ardent PSA supporters admit that SGC is viable for grading. A common phrase is "for the stuff I intend to keep I use SGC..."
SGC has more consistent standards, more attractive holders, friendlier (actually humble) staff, no conflicts of interest, integrity...about the only thing I really don't like about SGC is the FedXpress delivery...still very few put their sets in their holder

I think back to a line I told my coaching staff last spring when faced with the challenge of our young team:

"it's gonna be hard to take a group of followers and make them think like leaders" That job is now SGC's. They must change the way PSA's loyalists think. Real, real tough.
"All 9's are not created equal..."

#3403 - 09/19/02 08:50 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

#1 SGC can promote their new Set Registry by offering deep discount grading to anyone with an SGC Registerd set and only on cards for that set. Make the fee less than the current bulk fee (say $3-$4 per card 25 card Minmum) with a 10 day turnaround. That would (A) increase the number of SGC commons on the market, (B) create a buzz as people who normally wouldn't grade cards, wouldn't be able to resist at these prices, (C) have people register their sets to take advantage of the grading special, and (D) maybe even sway some of the PSA diehards.

#2 Offer more specials based on price rather than turnaround times

#3 Form alliances with premium brand products. "SGC the official grader of SP Authentic"

#4 Weekly Contests with free grading or SGC cards as prizes.

That's all I can come up with for now.

#3404 - 09/19/02 05:59 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: Fabfrank]
downgoesfrazier

Fabfrank,
You're dead-on! Great post!
Gentleman, we have an intelligent life form among us...
77s

#3405 - 09/20/02 11:09 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

In reply to:

Gentleman, we have an intelligent life form among us...

There goes the neighborhood.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 10 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.