Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3416 - 12/09/02 11:19 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey Scott ---

In reply to:

So, if you believe that the cards are of similar quality (I do), then SGC offers you a better value.

... if you're the buyer ...

What do you think dhcards' opinion would be on this subject ... ???

#3417 - 12/09/02 04:26 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: deadlyembrace]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

Good point deadlyembrace. I've been on the selling end before. Most of us on this board know that SGC cards are accurately graded. I just hope the hobby realizes it more widely and resell values rise. But if I'm collecting a set I want to hold on to, there are great deals to be had.
#3418 - 12/10/02 12:37 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

DE,

I am sure he is not very happy at all. And I agree with Chuckster -- I hope that people realize the value of these cards, otherwise, SGC dealers are going to become a thing of the past.

I actually think that the vary large disparity in prices has to due with the cards being GEM. As I look through auction results (again, all '68s), the price difference is much lower (20%-ish) for MINT cards and the prices are just about the same for NM-MT.

I know for a fact that alot of "SGC cracking, resubmit to PSA" is going on -- I know of a couple of major PSA collectors that are doing it (cracking GAI also). I think that this is a reasonable risk for an 8 or a 9...but I don't think anyone in their right mind would crack out a 98 and try to cross it over to a 10...it is just too risky.

There are more than a few really high-end '68 PSA collectors out there...and they are killing eachother for 10's...and balancing risk/reward for 9's (to crack or not to crack?).

Scott

#3419 - 12/10/02 03:11 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

With respect, the purpose of this thread was to suggest ways to solve the problem, not to continaully bemoan the problem.

We already know folks are buying the holder, not the card. What do you aall suggest?

#3420 - 12/10/02 05:34 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
srs1a

With even more respect,

These posts are simply market data and several people's interpretation of the data. It isn't moaning, it is just data.

What does the market say about later issue cards (say 1977)? Are similar things in play there, or does it look different? If different markets are behaving differently, then perhaps we can figure it out and have a clue how to better approach the generic problem.

Scott

#3421 - 12/10/02 03:50 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: srs1a]
chuckster
Hobbyist

I agree with many of the ideas mentioned early in this thread to promote SGC. They must keep up the high level of service and accuracy, and aggressive specials will definitely make a difference with many submitters (including myself). I've noticed a fair amount of advertising, which is a good sign. I haven't been to any shows where SGC was present, but anytime you are face to face with potential customers there is an opportunity to impress. If more collectors just try SGC for whatever reason, I believe that many would be won over. I have no problems with the other two major graders, I'm just satisfied with SGC. Anyway, just echoing some other folks' points that I happen to agree with.
#3422 - 12/10/02 11:21 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: chuckster]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

The way to approach the question is like this: SGC is a superior grading operation with great pricing and excellent customer service. Re-sale prices trail PSA and that affects dealers who may submit; secondly, SGC is a small business with resources appropriate to that size. Given those level of resources in a market with tighter margins ($ per card in the door), this small business has added a price guide, a message board, a pop report and a registry for free. As noted, specials and advertising have also increased. They need to bolster their efforts at major shows. Moving forward, what next should SGC do?

Play madison avenue and play marketing executive and post your ideas here.

#3423 - 12/11/02 02:32 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I was at the Ft. Washington show last friday night. They had a sign advertising
the set registry and they were going to do a demonstration on Saturday
of the Sgc set registry. I was not able to go Saturday but from the looks of
it they are beginning to advertise and even demo their product.

I consider that a positive.

aconte

#3424 - 12/21/02 05:36 PM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: aconte]
chuckster
Hobbyist

As far as the registry goes, rewarding collectors for reaching milestones with their set building could be a good attention-getter. An idea: receive free gradings when you reach 50% set completion and upon completion (or close to completion). The number of free gradings could be based on the size of the particular set. I know this may not bring thousands of people at once, but it would be a nice perk for loyal set-building customers. And it would show that SGC is really proactive in promoting set building and it's registry. It would also be a nice advertising tool in promoting the registry.
#3425 - 12/22/02 04:05 AM Re: How Can SGC Improve its Marketing and Spread the Word? [Re: chuckster]
srs1a

I love it chuckster!
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.