Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#34833 - 12/16/02 03:23 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: srs1a]
Anonymous Unregistered

Growing up in the late 1950's, one of my favorite vintage sets was the 1958 Topps. As an 8 year old, I searched high and low for pop bottles that had been discarded so I could return them for the $0.03 deposit. A few found bottles meant I could buy more baseball cards and spend an afternoon flipping cards. So the 1958 Topps set has always been a sentimental favorite of mine. Once a kid, always a kid!!

Then in 1981, I stumbled upon some Red Man tobacco cards. An ad in the classified section of the paper advertised "1950s baseball cards" amongst the many items up for auction. I hadn't seen the Red Man cards before, but still decided to purchase them to see what they were all about.

The initial draw to continuing the collection was the scarcity of the cards with tabs intact, and the difficulty in completing an entire set in near mint condition. Now the draw is trying to complete sets in SGC 84 or better. Not an easy chore!! I believe the beauty of the Red Man cards has been greatly enhanced by the SGC holder. The black card holder provides a great contrast to the colorful cards.

Once I purchased my first Red Man premium cap, I also became compelled to try to complete the entire set of caps. I have been very fortunate to have purchased 22 different caps so far, but still need the St. Lousis Browns cap to complete the set. I have also been drawn in the pursuit of the Red Man tobacco packages, with the tobacco still inside and the Red Man card intact on the outside of the package.

So the draw of the Red Man cards to me is their beauty and scarcity, as well as the premium caps/tobacco packages that become part of the collection.

mrredman

#34834 - 12/16/02 04:51 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set
Anonymous Unregistered

When in grade school one year my best friend and I began collecting 1967 Topps Football cards a pack at a time. We raced to see who could finish his collection first. I won, but we both finished our sets. A couple of years later my friend moved, but he before he left he gave me all his cards. Unfortunately I knew nothing at the time about protecting the cards, so most of the cards I originally owned are not in gradeable condition. It's only been in the last couple of years that my interest in the set has let me to try to gather the best SGC-graded 1967 Topps Football set I can. I've registered my SGC set. I also have a batch of cards submitted to SGC that will complete a full SGC-graded set. Then my goal will switch to improving all the grades to 84 or better. I've also managed to collect 24 of the 31 Comic Pennants that used to be included with each pack of 1967 Topps FB. It's been a blast. Soon I may be looking for another set(s) to pursue.
#34835 - 12/17/02 02:45 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Not sure who you are but nice 1967 Topps Football Set. The photos are nice
to look at too.

I love reading some of these great stories.

aconte

Edited by aconte (12/17/02 02:46 PM)

#34836 - 01/01/03 05:53 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: aconte]
Anonymous Unregistered

I personally love the 71 set. Most of the cards have that deep blue sky in the background that just pops out against all that black. I also love the horizontal action shots as well.The 71 Munson is a work of art and is one of ,if not the coolest card of the 70's in my opinion.The plethora of stars and the challenge of finding raw gradeable examples is also a big draw to me, but the design and all of the color that pops out against that glossy black truly make these cards "black beauties". With the exception of the 79 set, topps' designers did a outstanding job on the 70's sets.Good luck on all of your sets in the New Year. Drew
#34837 - 01/09/03 04:35 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set
Anonymous Unregistered

I like the vintage Bowman, Goudey and Sport Kings issues. The water color designs are like small pieces of art work. The T206 and Cracker Jack sets receive a honorable mention.
#34838 - 01/10/03 03:56 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: stanthemanfan]
hammer
Carpal Tunnel

T204 Ramly: Truly works of art when encountered in high grade.
T3 : Cabinet sized masterpieces with mostly the same artwork found on the T206 cards.
Probably the two most beautifully crafted sets in existance.

#34839 - 01/13/03 04:17 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: hammer]
SUPERPUNK_813
Learning the Ropes

ive always liked the 1965 topps football set becouse of the tall size and the bright colors.
#34840 - 01/14/03 04:42 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: SUPERPUNK_813]
hammer
Carpal Tunnel

..and a set that's near impossible to assemble in strict ex/mt or better (65T Football), owing to the large, irregular shape of the cards. They just didn't fit, lend themselves well to longtime shoebox storage. The only way you'll ever see these in NM or better is if they're fresh from vending boxes or unopened packs, a very difficult find. Centering is a big issue with these as well.

#34841 - 01/17/03 02:31 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: stanthemanfan]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

i cant believe nobody has mentioned the CLASSIC 1954,1955,1956,1957, and 1958 sets...im currently buying big names in these sets..but in the future SOME DAY ill work on getting commons

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.