Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#34823 - 12/06/02 12:54 PM Most Attractive Vintage Set
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I'm curious to find out what attracts people to collect specific vintage sets - for this discussion - let's consider 1969 and older.

Is it the: stadium backdrops, classic player poses, color and design of the card, set scarcity?

#34824 - 12/06/02 02:25 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: stanthemanfan]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi STMF --

I suspect that you'll find as many reasons as there are people with opinions. And not all of those reasons will be "rational" ... i.e., collectibility, retained value, scarcity, etc.

I'm as "vintage" as the sets you're referring to. So, in my case, these are the cards I grew up collecting, trading and mutilating in the spokes of bicycles. I've been hung up on the 1962 Topps set for as long as I can remember. My first major purchase of SGC-graded cards was of 1962s.

I began collecting 1969 Topps almost by mistake. Before focussing my collecting goals, I'd been collecting anything that was 1969 baseball or earlier and SGC graded as mint or better. I'd acquired quite a lot of the '60, '61, '68 Topps cards (in addition to my coveted '62 Topps cards) as well as a few REALLY choice cards from the '50s. Somewhere along the way, I acquired the '69 Topps Brooks Robinson. Then a few more '69s rolled in including a gem mint Aparicio. When I landed the Reggie Jackson rookie, I was hooked.

The two sets are radically different in design ... which appeals to me. No use in being redundant. Also, the photography is "darker" in the 1962 Topps set. All of the 1969 Topps cards are much "brighter" ... almost as though the sun was shining in 1969 but not in 1962.

Both sets contain the "big four" names of the era: Mantle, Mays, Aaron and Clemente. The 1969 Topps set offers the opportunity to collect stars who were not playing in 1962: Pete Rose, Jim Palmer, Willie Stargell, Rod Carew, Reggie Jackson, etc. ... while the 1962 set contained stars from the late '40's and '50's who were in the twilight of their careers: Stan Musial, Duke Snider, etc.

In terms of availability, I'm finding the acquisition of 1962 Topps in mint or gem mint grades to be exponentially tougher than the 1969 set. That wasn't always the case, but it seems to have evolved in that direction.

Finally, these cards are not cheap. But I believe that, over the long haul, these are the cards that will not only hold their value ... they will appreciate.

My apologies for the rambling response. It's a tough question to answer in only a few words.

#34825 - 12/09/02 12:46 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: stanthemanfan]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I'm deep into 2 sets -- 1968 and 1963.

1968 was when I got into collecting in a big way as a kid. On one joyous day I pulled Mickey Mantle and was in heaven. Mr. Mantle accompanied me to school every day in my shirt pocket (he looks like it, too). We flipped cards every day at recess and mutilated them just as deadlyembrace descripes. About 4 or 5 years ago, I decided to build a high quality 1968 set and got into graded cards and eBAY. I've finished this set and have the SGC part registered. Look for more to come -- I hope to get 50% of the set in SGC holders with an average grade of >88.

Flipping cards introduced me the the 1963 set -- one day, I ended up with some and thought that they were really cool (probably a quote). I loved the bright colored borders. Well, about a week later, I lost all of them flipping and I was crushed. So, after I finished up the '68 set, I started on 63's -- this is a much tougher set and while I still do love the colored borders, they show absolutely every touch. I'm close to completion with this set -- still need about 40 cards, about 20 of them in the tough semi-high and high numbers. I have most of the key cards slabbed as 7's and 8's, the rest as NMT raw. I probably won't pursue it much further than simple completion of the set -- a complete 1963 in nearmint condition will be good enough for me.

I guess I collect these sets because of the memories that they still stimulate.

I also collect player sets (Aaron, Banks, Clemente and Mays) because I loved these guys. I love looking though these cards, but there is something about a 1968 Gary Kolb, Barry Moore, Ray Sadecki, etc that still brings a big smile to my face.

Scott

#34826 - 12/11/02 02:13 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: stanthemanfan]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Boy, limit the discussion to pre-70's and the thread goes dead in a hurry!

How about extending it into the 70's? I'm curious why the '77 set has drawn so many collectors.

I am also curious to hear from our redman collectors out there -- no doubt that these are beautiful cards, but what got you guys started?

Scott

#34827 - 12/11/02 02:39 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: srs1a]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Scott,

I think the 77 set is nice but I can't figure out why it has gotten so much
more attention than say the 75 set. I hope vayank doesn't fall off his chair!

I grew up collecting the 75 and 76 set. My brother was the 77 man.
I do like the 77 Bowa though. Cool mustache!

Anyhow, I like sets with color. You know my favorite. But I also like
but don't collect the 34 diamond stars, the 33 goudey, 51+ 55 bowman
football, and the 75 topps baseball. Oh... how can I forget the 35 football
Chicle. Very nice.

aconte

#34828 - 12/11/02 04:36 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: aconte]
nolemmings
Hobbyist

Thanks aconte-- I too am baffled about the fuss over the '77 set. I'm sure the year has meaning to the collectors, e.g. birth year, first year collecting etc., and that that has alot to do with it. Personally, though, I think the '77s and '78s are by far the ugliest sets of the decade. That's my opinion, which probably is in the minority, since I think the '76s and '74s are the best designed (I especially like how the little player on the front of the '76s is shown pitching right or left handed depending on the corresponding player), and they are probably the least collected.

As for the 60s, I'm a huge fan of the 1961 set, although it has its share of dogs (ever seen the Mays?- looks like he's ready to hurl, and I don't mean pitch). I believe all of the 60s sets are attractive, but find the '69s too unimaginative in design-- too many rehashed photos, plus, change that white border to burlap and you're looking at the '68s all over.

My vote for most attractive vintage sets:

Baseball: 1954 Wilson Weiners; 1933 Delong; 1953 Bowman Color; 1952 Mother's Cookies; T202 Hassan Triple Folders and 1915 Cracker Jack.

Football: 1955 Topps All-america; 1957 Topps; 1963 Topps; and 1966 Philly Gum (of course, that national chicle set is awesome too)

Basketball: 1969 Topps; 1986 Fleer (vintage?)

Hockey: 1954 Topps and 1911-12 Imperial Tobacco; also 1964-65 Topps and 1972-73 OPC.

#34829 - 12/11/02 04:49 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: nolemmings]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

What surpirsed me about the '77 set is that they were collectors well ahead of me and the curve with that set. And I have been banging the drum and will continue to do so. To each his own. Beauty is truly in the eye of holder here (no pun intended). I love the simple elegant border design combined the wild disco colors and styles of the era.

I wanted to collect something that spoke to me. The '60's and earlier simply mean don't excite me and my imagination and do nothing for me collecting-wise. That's just me, not a social commmentary. I want to collect players I remember, not the players my dad remembers. That left me with a '74-'78 window as my first golden age of collecting. '74 not my taste, '75 already had too action, I like '76's alot, '78 placed third. Boom, all this, plus a good cross section of rookies I liked and you get '77...

Is '77 vintage? It's vintage to me, though we are free to reach our own conclusion. What some people call vinatge, I think antique is a better adjective, but antique connotes nothing in the maketplace.

Edited by vayank (12/11/02 04:53 AM)

#34830 - 12/11/02 10:25 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: vayank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

VaYank,

I agree with you. You definitely must collect sets that interest you. Otherwise,
eventually you'll lose interest and you will never complete it. I'm just surprised
there isn't more of a stir for some of the other 70's sets.

Also, after thinking about it... the cool Bowa card is from 76 too. Like I said
the big thing I remember with the 77 set is that my brother really liked it.
He still has a set but he does not really collect any more. The fire does
not burn for him!

aconte

#34831 - 12/12/02 04:50 AM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: nolemmings]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I started the thread without listing out my favorites. So here goes:

1. 1950 - 54 Bowman Baseball. These sets were made with great imagination. 1950 set backgrounds are fantastic - the cement block wall in Casey Stengel's mug shot card, the looming pine trees on a few of the Pittsburgh Pirates players cards, the janitor's office, the wooden fence, brickwall, the stadium backdrops with the pretty woman, guys in suits, photographers,etc., the Superman-like head shots with the perfect blue-sky backdrop - the list goes on and on. The only one's missing are the UFO, bathroom toilet stall, and stadium parking lot. Great stuff!

The colors became more bright and the portraits more intricate on the 1952 Bowman Set. In my mind - miniature works of art! '51 and '54 are just great to look at. These are the cards that get the most frequent viewing in my collection.

2. 1961 Topps - simple border design with some real nice staged action poses. I like the stadium backdrops. I agree, Willie Mays does look like he has food-poisoning.

3. 1965 & 1966. I think 2 real pretty sets.

4. 1973 - I don't remember this set being talked about on the message board - but it has a nice layout, decent in-action shots - all in all a pretty nice set to look at.

#34832 - 12/13/02 03:50 PM Re: Most Attractive Vintage Set [Re: stanthemanfan]
Anonymous Unregistered

I am partial to the card design.

Working on a 1971 topps baseball set. Looking to buy 1971 baseball graded SGC 88 or better. Contact me at jftouchdown@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.