Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#349687 - 02/22/04 04:48 PM Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card?
BestOf7
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Loc: The Seven Bowls of Wrath

I've been thinking about buying a Gretzky rookie, but have been cautioned by some dealers about fakes. Is there any truth to this, and how do I spot a fake from the real one? I sort of want to buy the card ungraded to save some money.

Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#349688 - 02/22/04 06:46 PM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: BestOf7]
Bronzed Jbone
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: National Park NJ

Not specifically, but I tend to examine the copyright mark. I think an original will be sharp, and a fake cloudy.

You might have better luck on beckett's message board, or even etopps board too.

I've been called worse by better.

#349689 - 02/22/04 07:04 PM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: BestOf7]
MW1
veteran

Bestof7,

As far as the 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky is concerned, there are several ways of distinguishing between the original and a fake:

1. The original has a print dot on Gretzky's shoulder (see image below)
2. All of the Gretzky rookies from the first printing (there were two different printings) have two thin blue lines traversing the reverse side (lengthwise).
3. The image quality on the fakes will not have the same sharpness or resolution (measured in dots or picture elements per square inch) as the originals.

#349690 - 02/23/04 12:15 PM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: MW1]
comicwiz
Someone told me they pay by the word for posts...

Loc: Toronto

MW1

Thanks for sharing the information with us.

I'm sort of a cross-collector of comics and hockey cards, and have heard rumors about fake Gretzky rookies. Interestingly enough, I have heard several different versions of this rumor, one of which, places an "EX" O-Pee-Chee employee with the original Gretzky plates as the culprit for these indistinguishable fakes. If this is the case, and someone does have the original plates, those printing and card registration defects you pointed out could not easily controlled in a reprint attempt, making it near impossible for an original to be duplicated. Is this an accurate statement?

As well, I have also noticed that the 1979-80 OPC set had a number of cards which were roughly cut. The Gretzky #18 card often possesses a crude manufactured cut along the right edge (from the scan you included in your post, that card seems to possess this crude manufactured trim/cut along the top edge). In fact crude manufactured trims/cuts are so common with the 1979-80 set, that I would almost say that this would have to be considered another distinguishing feature to spot a fake. Most fakes I have ever spotted are just too perfectly trimmed

BTW: I am really impressed with the example you included in your post. Does that card belong to you, and is it for sale?

#349691 - 02/23/04 06:53 PM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: comicwiz]
MW1
veteran

comicwiz,

Just like the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan, I have seen many different counterfeit varieties of the 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky. Obviously, some are better than others but none, in my opinion, are so good as to suggest that the original printing plates were reused.

Still, I wouldn't put it past some opportunists to try reprint the Gretzky rookie using this or a similar method. In any case, as you pointed out, there would still exist some differences including subtle printing variations, the type of cut and perhaps even the type of cardstock.

Quote:

In fact crude manufactured trims/cuts are so common with the 1979-80 set, that I would almost say that this would have to be considered another distinguishing feature to spot a fake. Most fakes I have ever spotted are just too perfectly trimmed

I would say that the only hard rule is that at least one edge must have a rough cut. OPC Gretzkys do not necessarily have a rough cut on both the right and left edges -- I've seen some legitimate examples that are cut much better than others.

#349692 - 02/24/04 05:22 AM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: comicwiz]
MW1
veteran

comicwiz,

Your last two questions: Yes, the card belongs to me and it is indeed for sale.

#349693 - 02/24/04 06:51 AM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: comicwiz]
Captain_Pike
Collector is an understatement.

Here's a graded 79-80 OPC Gretzky RC with the rough cut.
What did OPC use to cut the 79-80 hockey sheets with?

#349694 - 02/24/04 03:23 PM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: Captain_Pike]
magellan
Just got here

Loc: Maine

Quote:

A serrated steak knife?

#349695 - 03/08/04 05:45 AM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: Captain_Pike]
MW1
veteran

Quote:

Here's a graded 79-80 OPC Gretzky RC with the rough cut.

My understanding is that a sharp wire was used. As the production process progressed, the wire would become "dull" and the cuts would appear rougher.

#349696 - 03/08/04 06:02 AM Re: Anyone know how to spot a fake Gretzky rookie card? [Re: MW1]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

MW1 is right...OPC cards were wire cut...a new wire would initially produce a sharp cut but would eventually wear down and "rough-cutting" would occur. The wires were only replaced from time to time, explaining why most OPC cards have the rough-cut look.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (K-Nole) and 1 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.036 seconds in which 0.02 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.